Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Footballers you met...and how were they...

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Just before Christmas.

Wearily headed to the bathroom and held the door open for an exiting Bill O'Herlihy. He said 'Thank you'.
    I should have shot back with 'okie doke', he'd love that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Couple of stories and meetings below. Have met plenty of players for a quick autograph but I wouldn't have made a character judgement on them for two seconds of their time.

While on a family holiday in Portgual went to a waterpark that was pretty much empty, must have been the time of year/day. There was my family and my friends family and another family accross the other side of the lounging area.

As the day went on a little red haired lad came over to go to the bar which was near our lot, and we realised it was Paul Scholes. I was about 15 at the time and immediately lost my **** and got super shy, as did my friend. My Dad, a GAA head and little knowledge about football figured out via us who he was and had no hesitation in approaching him and asking would he mind a photo.

He was a pure gent, happily took a few photos and had a quick chat. My friends mother invited his family to come on over if they want, so I ended up having a day with Paul Scholes family. Was a top day.

The highlight was my mothergoing down a water slide behind him, and freaking out in the pool as she doesn't deal well with water. My father was already at the bottom and was all " here give me your hand I'll guide you out" ..."here, grab the poll" and then proceeded to place her hand on Paul Scholes arse.

The other one was Damien Duff. Was at a youth tournament in England and he was a special guest to present the trophies and say a few words. Absolutely mumbled his words, seemed totally disinterested. Barely even looked at me after he handed me my award, and then instead of staying for a few photographs seemed to just snake off, leaving his PR person or whoever looking mighty embarrased.

Part of the trip was going to watch Blackburn vs Bolton, argueably the worst game I've ever seen. Duff was absolute dross, and was so lazy and whingy it wasn't even funny. MOTD highlights made him look like he was world class. Set the tone on him for me from a young age and never warmed to him.

Also had a poor experience with robbie Keane, who pulled a "don't you know who I am" type of ****e when trying to get himself and friends into some seats we were comfortably in. We assumed he was trying to impress friends so didn't make a big deal out of it, however one of the girls was having none of it. Not a big football fan, but had no issue with telling Keane there was plenty of space on the other side of the bar for him to flop ( Was playing with Liverpool at the time).

Few mates met Jurgen Klinsman at some match, can't remember where, but they ended up on a rip roaring session with him. They won't hear a bad thing spoken about him.

My sister was going out with a guy who was Real Madrid mad. They had gone to Portgual for a holiday, and turned out the Portugal team were training near by. They headed on up to the team hotel and camped out for a while and when the team came out to the bus and got autographs and photos.

She iscompletely oblivious to football so I was telling her who she met(from the photos) and asking what they were like. Ronaldo, Pepe and Contrao were all seemingly really nice, posed for photos and having the quick chats. There was some confusing moment where Nani thought he was being asked for a photo and went for a pose, and my sisters fella was like "oh no, sorry just Fabio if that's ok?". Ronaldo broke his hole laughing and started taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Met Beckham at a hotel down the country when I was 12, he was with his missus sitting in a private bar and word got out they were there, both really nice from what I can remember,took pictures and chatted for a few minutes. Met Paul McGrath in Omni but sure who hasn't at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Thud

Met the Gaffer (and Niall Quinn) in a pub after his first game in charge, sound lads, told him he was doing a great job and to keep it up....

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Mark Lawrenson sat down beside me and a mate in a Dublin pub a couple of years ago and he was dead sound. We didn't annoy him too much and he stayed chatting to us on and off for a couple of hours. Sound man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

George Best.

Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

TheDoc wrote: »
    Was playing with Liverpool at the time

And he STILL didn't recognise you?

What a snob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Met Damien Duff in the Outback (Wool Shed) on Parnell St during the 2006 World Cup.

I was quite drunk, but he was sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Met loads of Everton players, but none of the current squad except for Osman (haven't been over in a while)

Personality wise, Kevin Kilbane was my favorite.....really nice chap

Kevin campbell and Nigel Martyn too. Martyn was a very funny fella actually

I found Lee Carsley and Gary Naismith very stand-off-ish and Tommy Graveson was as mad as a box of frogs and very moody!

Met Robbie Keane briefly at a game against Spurs

In fairness, they have to put up with some 5hite!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They say never meet your heroes, but I met Stern John after a friendly against Galway United, as they were called back in my day. Not only did he sign my programme but he also let me keep the pen. Was my pen anyway but that's not the point. A class act is a class act. Might not surprise many to know that he had a fairly woeful showing that day and didn't look out of place playing against part-timers.

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Met loads of Everton players, but none of the current squad except for Osman (haven't been over in a while)

Personality wise, Kevin Kilbane was my favorite.....really nice chap

Kevin campbell and Nigel Martyn too. Martyn was a very funny fella actually

I found Lee Carsley and Gary Naismith very stand-off-ish and Tommy Graveson was as mad as a box of frogs and very moody!

Met Robbie Keane briefly at a game against Spurs

In fairness, they have to put up with some 5hite!!

Ah don't put yourself down like that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I met Lucio and Ronaldinho at Dublin airport in 2004 after the friendly with Brazil. Lucio was a giant and a gent. Ronaldinho was an utter twat though, a couple of young lads came up for autographs after I had greeted them and Ronaldinho said no, when the lad repeated his mannerly request he just turned his back on him. He looked hung-over and pissed off, I doubt he would have entertained his mother that day, let alone a stranger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I played against Noel Hunt in my teens. Without a shadow of a doubt the best player I have played against, he came across a complete knob but you have to make allowances for being that gifted at that age and any time I have seen him on Soccer AM or the likes he seems sound.

Met Jack Charlton as a young fella. Absolute gent.

Advertisement