Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart tv, old upc box

• 24-01-2015 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place or already answered. I bought a Samsung smart t.v. and I can't get it to connect to my upc box. It keeps telling me there's no signal detected. I am connecting it via the scart port as the box has no hdmi port. The box is about 3/4 years old at most, is this box incompatible with a smart t.v. or am i doing something wrong.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Press Source on your TV remote and OK on EXT with the UPC box turned it. Should see it then

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nivag2514

No its just telling me to check my connections, I've checked on the old t.v. and everything is fine on that so I know its not the coaxes connected wrong or anything. I just thought it might be incompatable or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The co-ax should be connected to the UPC box only, I note that you mentioned 'coaxes', as in the plural???

The fact that your TV has smart functionality should have nothing to do with it.

coylemj wrote: »
    The co-ax should be connected to the UPC box only, I note that you mentioned 'coaxes', as in the plural???

I meant as in the one coming from the wall into the splitter and then two go on to the router and the set top box. Do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

are there other settings in there to tweak,my tv is samsung not smart,are you using a fully wired scart lead and inserted all the way.

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    are there other settings in there to tweak,my tv is samsung not smart,are you using a fully wired scart lead and inserted all the way.

I've tried two different scart leads and a lead with a scart connection on one end and composite on the other.

do you have to switch those settings on in tv setup?

pal or rgb??

I'll try that now.

You need a 'fully wired' SCART cable, that will carry the RGB signal from the UPC box to the TV and will give you the best picture quality for non-HD.

Is the SCART cable you're using one that worked with your last TV? I'd forget about a SCART to composite, a SCART to SCART cable is what you need.

Check that the UPC box is outputting RGB and not composite.

coylemj wrote: »
    You need a 'fully wired' SCART cable, that will carry the RGB signal from the UPC box to the TV and will give you the best picture quality for non-HD.

Is the SCART cable you're using one that worked with your last TV? I'd forget about a SCART to composite, a SCART to SCART cable is what you need.

Check that the UPC box is outputting RGB and not composite.

I got a fully wired scart lead this morning and its working perfect thanks. Someone else mentioned a fully wired scart lead earlier but I didn't really know what they meant, it was only when I saw you underlined and italicized it that I twigged it must be a "thing".

• Advertisement

nivag2514 wrote: »
    I got a fully wired scart lead this morning and its working perfect thanks. Someone else mentioned a fully wired scart lead earlier but I didn't really know what they meant, it was only when I saw you underlined and italicized it that I twigged it must be a "thing".

There was a type of SCART cable that was good enough for old VCRs, I think it sent a composite video signal rather than RGB so not all of the pins were connected, in some cases the pins were even missing from the plugs.

common mistake in scart problems not using fully wired,great its working now for you.

greasepalm wrote: »
    common mistake in scart problems not using fully wired,great its working now for you.

Thanks, I don't think I've ever taken notice of how many pins were on any of my scart leads untill yesterday tbh and I would have considered myself quite tech savvy ( an electrician to and the default electronic and i.t. technician of the family ). You never stop learning as they say.

Advertisement