Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car rust repair

• 24-01-2015 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi guys,
    Was looking at buying a new car but there's slight rust on 2 of the doors at the very edge. It's runs down the side of the door so it's not really visible when the door is closed if you get me. It's about 1cm long on each door. Has anyone got any idea of what the cost of repair would be? The car passed NCT June 2014 but has been parked up for 3 months. I have pictures but I'm unsure how to post them. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Has it rusted through (i.e can you poke your finger through it?) or is it just beginning to bubble up? Either way it will not fail an NCT, only heavy rust on structural parts of the body will fail the NCT. Without seeing photos it is hard to say how you could best go about repairing this. Poke it with a screwdriver and if it goes through, leave it to a pro, if not grind it down to bare metal, treat it, fill it, prime it, paint it.

I only recently had a similar problem on a car of my own, luckily the rust wasn't so bad so I could tackle it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shaneconnolly1

No the rust is tiny. its mainly just 2 little sections at the very edge of the doors and i have just spotted another spot where it looks like a stone chipped it or something thats rusting too. its about 3mm x 3mm. A screwdriver wouldnt go through it as its in the very early stages but id like to treat it asap. Any idea of the cost? I dont want to do it myself as im afraid i would only do more damage and botch up the job

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shaneconnolly1

Without seeing photos it is hard to say how you could best go about repairing this.

How do i attatch the photos? Sorry, Im new haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

How do i attatch the photos? Sorry, Im new haha

I don't believe you can post photos until your account is at least 15 days / 50 posts old. You could PM the photos to a mod and ask them to pop them up here for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Or put photos on Flickr and link them?

I had a little touch of surface rust on my driver door where the previous owner had owned it into a wall but not fixed the paint.
    The only way to know what's under the paint is to remove it; flapper disc on a dremel if it's small, grinder if it's not. Sandpaper if you're feeling energetic.
    Different grades if you have them.

Hopefully it's superficial, so sand/flap 80grit, 160, 320/400, 600/800, then 1200.
    At least 3 coats of primer, (you can use Halford's rattle cans with a bit of practice and you're not looking for a concourse finish), sand with 2500 grit paper till it's smooth
    Then paint at least 3/4 coats, and sand with 2500 (wet) until it's a matt finish, oddly. Then clear coat/lacquer at least 3/4 coats.
    Best done inside, in a dust free environment, where insects or leaves won't stick. Best done in paint shop really :-)
    My car cost €2,000 so I was ok with an amateur job, if you're not, maybe enquire about a pro? Make sure to tell them it's not an insurance job, it'll halve the quote or better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement