Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incidcating at small roundabouts

• 24-01-2015 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

Done a lesson their last night, my last lesson before my test

quite confident I will pass but would rather not lose marks in the test on this.

My instructor told me no matter the size of the roundabout I always have to indicate.

So how do I do this on tiny roundabouts, you know the ones that you'd find in estates, the ones were most people who drive go straight over them rather then around them.

How do I indicate on these, Obviously to turn left at it, its to indicate left, but how do I indicate to go straight on? I mean by the time I enter the roundabout I am practically already off it to indicate.

if I was turning right at it, I'd have to indicate right as I go around it then indicate left as I take the turn to go off it, but like I said the roundabout is so small that most cars don't bother indicating it this way, they just indicate left to turn left, don't indicate at all to go straight on, and right to turn right.

But my instructor said this is wrong and I will lose marks in the test over it.

Pic below is the type of roundabout I am on about
    its so tiny for all these indicates to do on it, by the time you do all the indicators to make you're turn you'd be half way down the round from it :pac:

20t2vic.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Indicate as soon as you are at the left hand turn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Stheno wrote: »
    Indicate as soon as you are at the left hand turn?

is that a question ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

A suggestion of what to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

you didn't read my post fully then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

You should treat mini-roundabouts the exact same way that you treat normal roundabouts, meaning the same rules apply to both. If you're taking the second exit, you must indicate left as soon as you've passed the first exit. This is just one of those "practice makes perfect" situations, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭rizzla

Treat them as regular roundabouts even if 90% of drivers don't. Go a bit slower so your indications seem more purposeful, that's what I did anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭dimsumss

you should not meet any mini rounderbouts,but you would treat them as normal roundabouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    you didn't read my post fully then
    To be bluntly honest, neither did you;
    2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    My instructor told me no matter the size of the roundabout I always have to indicate.
    If you happen to do the test in Finglas, you may meet one mini roundabout, and you still treat the roundabout as a roundabout. Unless you're in a fairly small car, you'll have to around it a bit (as opposed to straight over the painted ones :P), so you'll get a chance to use the indicator.

If you do it in Finglas, watch out for the friggin faded yellow boxes; got a costly point on one you only see when you're too far :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 chickenbone

There are no such thing as mini roundabouts, they are just roundabouts, and legally should be treated in the same way no matter the dimensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

There are no such thing as mini roundabouts, they are just roundabouts, and legally should be treated in the same way no matter the dimensions.

I agree they should be treated the same but to say there's no such thing is a mini roundabout is wrong. They even have their own warning sign

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 chickenbone

I agree they should be treated the same but to say there's no such thing is a mini roundabout is wrong. They even have their own warning sign

Probably badly phrased alright, I was more thinking of getting the message to a learner for his test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

As the guys said above - treat exactly the same as a normal one. Only reason they use a raised white markings is because of size restrictions on the road and sometimes bigger vehicles need to go over them a bit. Don't drive straight over one!

Advertisement