Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to bring up my grades

• 24-01-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hey guys, I got 555 in the christmas exams and I really need to up my game. I was really only happy with one result as it was the first time i got an A in irish! Here are my results

Biology 97
    Chemistry 91
    Physics 78
    English 72
    Irish 85
    Maths 70
    French 84

I'm really only doing 4 hours of study and homework per night, is that enough? I do 5/6 hours a day at the weekend as well but I get distracted really easily, even with no phone or anybody around me!

How can I bring up maths and physics in particular? I want to do mediciine so am studying for the HPAT too. I have all my own notes and that so i'm ok on that part. I find calculus context and application questions the most difficult and that's what led to the poor christmas result! Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Theboybang wrote: »
    Hey guys, I got 555 in the christmas exams and I really need to up my game. I was really only happy with one result as it was the first time i got an A in irish! Here are my results

Biology 97
    Chemistry 91
    Physics 78
    English 72
    Irish 85
    Maths 70
    French 84

I'm really only doing 4 hours of study and homework per night, is that enough? I do 5/6 hours a day at the weekend as well but I get distracted really easily, even with no phone or anybody around me!

How can I bring up maths and physics in particular? I want to do mediciine so am studying for the HPAT too. I have all my own notes and that so i'm ok on that part. I find calculus context and application questions the most difficult and that's what led to the poor christmas result! Any advice?

I can only really give you advice for Physics. Nail the experiments, there's only 24 (I suppose you can leave out the four that came up in 2014). It is an easy 30% You'll normally be asked to list apparatus and draw the diagram, procedure, observation and conclusion. Can you list 3-5 precautions? How did the student get a certain measurement? How would your results end up being skewed? Is there a graph? If so, can you do it? Can you manipulate the data from the graph to get a specific value?

For Section B, you need to have planned what questions you'll approach. Mine is usually 5, 12, 10 and then two more, whatever suits really. Five is just a mix of the course, perfect your facts, laws and formulae. 12 is where you pick two parts from four, generally easy because they can't go into too much detail. 10 is the option, very repetitive. The rest is generally Mechnaics, Electricity and Waves/Light/Sound, whatever you prefer.

Physics is just papers, papers and more papers. Once you get through the papers, ask your teacher for Pres, these are more difficult for some reason. (That's what I have found anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mr.0

How can I bring up maths and physics in particular? I want to do mediciine so am studying for the HPAT too. I have all my own notes and that so i'm ok on that part. I find calculus context and application questions the most difficult and that's what led to the poor christmas result! Any advice?[/QUOTE]

I also do HL maths and HPAT. I am have faced the same problems. <snip> Please do not advocate selling or buying copyright work<snip> My Maths and HPAT have improved significantly.

HL Maths: 40 Units covers all you need to know. Most importantly is the the Exercise questions with worked out solutions. They are very similar to the exam Qs. they give you plenty of practises

HPAT Notes: 6 sets of Sample Exams+ worked out solutions. Also has a study guide to give methods to solve Qs in each section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

mr.0 wrote: »
    I also do HL maths and HPAT. I am have faced the same problems.<snip> Please do not advocate selling or buying copyright work<snip> My Maths and HPAT have improved significantly.

HL Maths: 40 Units covers all you need to know. Most importantly is the the Exercise questions with worked out solutions. They are very similar to the exam Qs. they give you plenty of practises

HPAT Notes: 6 sets of Sample Exams+ worked out solutions. Also has a study guide to give methods to solve Qs in each section.

I wouldn't be going buying notes just yet. For maths I'd advise you to just keep doing exam paper after paper. I find the best thing to do is pick one or two topics and do every single question in the papers. Perfect those topics and then move onto new ones. In a while again you can go back and do the questions a second time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

mr.0 wrote: »

I also do HL maths and HPAT. I am have faced the same problems. <snip> Please do not advocate selling or buying copyright work<snip> My Maths and HPAT have improved significantly.

Please note that unless you mean you bought notes online directly from the Institute (which I didn't think was possible, but I'm open to correction) this is a breach of copyright and illegal.

Advertisement