Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer says it needs to restart for updates

Options
  • 24-01-2015 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm on my secondary desktop, a Win 8.1 machine. For some reason, every time I reboot it, it says it needs to restart for updates. I've looked in the Installed Updates Window and the following say they're "Pending Restart"
    Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3000850)
    Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3013816)
    Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3013769)
    Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3033408)

Also, I've installed Avast Antivirus, which has given me a 20-day trial of Internet Security. That too says it needs a restart, despite the fact that I literally just turned on the machine two minutes before typing this. I had shut down the machine before going to work.
    I'm going to try uninstalling some of those updates (for some reason, I don't see the Flash Player Security Update in the list of updates I can uninstall), then try this all over again.

To think I've started waiting a week after every update is released before installing them so that I wouldn't run into shenanigans like this...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Windows 8 and 8.1 need a stupid amount of updates. They should release a SP1. That you can do in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

beauf wrote: »
    Windows 8 and 8.1 need a stupid amount of updates. They should release a SP1. That you can do in one go.

Thanks for your comment I guess, but I was hoping that the replies I got would be advice as to what I should do, not a commentary as to what Microsoft should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

When you shutdown on Windows 8 it actually does a special type of hibernate, called hybrid boot, so updates won't install when you boot it back up.

You need to do an actual restart, or run the command shutdown /s /t 0

maki wrote: »
    When you shutdown on Windows 8 it actually does a special type of hibernate, called hybrid boot, so updates won't install when you boot it back up.

You need to do an actual restart, or run the command shutdown /s /t 0

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I'll reinstall the '850 update I just uninstalled (took a while for it to finish that process) and then try the command. So when I have updates on this machine, I have to avoid the shut down option, instead do a full restart?

WTF? I uninstalled the '850 update, did that shutdown command...and now I have 24 Important updates and 1 Optional? Huh...the '850 one is a big one, over 700 megs. Perhaps uninstalling that caused the other 24 to be uninstalled too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    WTF? I uninstalled the '850 update, did that shutdown command...and now I have 24 Important updates and 1 Optional? Huh...the '850 one is a big one, over 700 megs. Perhaps uninstalling that caused the other 24 to be uninstalled too.

KB3000850 is a rollup update containing a bunch of updates since April 2014, so yes you've essentially just uninstalled a lot of them.

Some updates also have prerequisites, so it's possible they were waiting on a previous update to complete.

Thanks. Everything works like a charm now.

Advertisement