Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIMM - Good idea?

Options
  • 24-01-2015 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm considering studying commercial modern music - guitar. Well it's my second choice. (6th year student.) Is it a terrible idea given that I've never studied music before, never taken any lessons and never played in a band or anything that?

I do play guitar obviously but it has just been entirely self taught. What kind of standards are they expecting given that it's the guitar only strand? Also I don't really plan on becoming a musician either. I'd be picking this degree more so because I enjoy playing, and also to help come up with music related business ideas by getting to know the industry better.

Can anyone give me an insight into the guitar course, and any information about the audition?

Any input would be great,

Thanks,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Tbh even if you planned to be a musician I would say this is a complete waste of time, but you don't even want to become a musician!!

If you want to get to know the industry better then start playing in bands, recording, gigging. You don't need to go to college to do any of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Tbh even if you planned to be a musician I would say this is a complete waste of time, but you don't even want to become a musician!!

If you want to get to know the industry better then start playing in bands, recording, gigging. You don't need to go to college to do any of that.

I should've mentioned, I'd also like to develop a better understanding of the theory side of things too. Would you actually learn much or do they expect you to already know the majority of it?

Off the top of my head I'd be interested in creating a new platform for learning guitar/software to tab songs/generate riffs/analyse your playing. For that I'd require an in depth knowledge of the instrument.

There's also the self development aspect that interests me. At the moment the thought of playing to an audience terrifies be, so it would help to develop confidence and other other soft skills applicable to life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Anyone else?

Advertisement