Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

marathon wrote: »
    how much should i get roughly for 2 belgian bluex fr yearling heifers 355 kgs gin mart at weekend

How dis you get on with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

Going to look at Blue heifer calves the weekend. About 2 weeks old, haven't been to a mart since Feb so wondering what's the going rate. I take it this expected drop after April 1st never materialised. Would 330 be ball park figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sold a 3 week old fr bull for 110, average looking calf.
    Sold a 3 week old 1/4 jersey bull for 70, better looking calf than the friesian:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Sold 2 fr bulls 180 and 140, 4 wks and 6 wks respectively. One fr bull 3 months old made 280, 2 freemartin heifers 9 weeks old made 160 a piece and a 3 wk old aa bull made 265 with a 3 wk old aa heifer made 245

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

What would be a fair price to ask for a 2wk old AA female calf and a 4week old male AA was thinking €220for female and €250 for male?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

farmerjj wrote: »
    What would be a fair price to ask for a 2wk old AA female calf and a 4week old male AA was thinking €220for female and €250 for male?
    would say 200 max for heifer and 250 for the bull

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭dave81

Calf prices at cashel today: AAs were expensive as was everything else. For good square AA heifers or bulls, about 3-4 weeks old, 310 - 340. Lesser ones with little sticks for legs about 200. Mediocre ones for 250-290. 400 was freely paid for almost reared very good ones.

I bought two for 315 each, they are very square heifers, 20 days old. it will cost a couple of hunded on milk powder and crunch to rear them the way I want. It takes a lot to get these stock over a 1000 Euro at 20 months. Prices better keep going up!

I think I must be losing my marbles, I paid 160 last year for decent ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

dave81 wrote: »
    Calf prices at cashel today: AAs were expensive as was everything else. For good square AA heifers or bulls, about 3-4 weeks old, 310 - 340. Lesser ones with little sticks for legs about 200. Mediocre ones for 250-290. 400 was freely paid for almost reared very good ones.

I bought two for 315 each, they are very square heifers, 20 days old. it will cost a couple of hunded on milk powder and crunch to rear them the way I want. It takes a lot to get these stock over a 1000 Euro at 20 months. Prices better keep going up!

I think I must be losing my marbles, I paid 160 last year for decent ones.
    Ye beef boys and girls have very short memories,remember how bad beef prices were for most of last year well ye better prepare yerselves for a similar scenario again.prices for calves and all grades of stock are crazy atm.i already predict mass ifa protests and beef prices below cost of production and a heap of us dairy farmers been asked to picket meat plants in 1.5 to 2 years time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Ye beef boys and girls have very short memories,remember how bad beef prices were for most of last year well ye better prepare yerselves for a similar scenario again.prices for calves and all grades of stock are crazy atm.i already predict mass ifa protests and beef prices below cost of production and a heap of us dairy farmers been asked to picket meat plants in 1.5 to 2 years time

Ye might have to worry about ye're own pickets at that stage. That said, I agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Ye might have to worry about ye're own pickets at that stage. That said, I agree with you.
    Picketing coops won't matter a ****e to us as world markets dictate our price .sure we'll get the beef men to do it for us!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Picketing coops won't matter a ****e to us as world markets dictate our price .sure we'll get the beef men to do it for us!!!!

That's fighting talk :D

How could we, sure we'll be at our full time jobs :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

How could we, sure we'll be at our full time jobs :-)
    and lucky to have em:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

have 2 holstein friesian bull calves born in jan here... bvd sample was empty and by the time i had got around to retagging.. they had gone over 6wks.. had herd test last wk all clear.. so now want to sell them...

they are two fine strong healthy bull calves... what should i be getting for them?

have 2 holstein friesian bull calves born in jan here... bvd sample was empty and by the time i had got around to retagging.. they had gone over 6wks.. had herd test last wk all clear.. so now want to sell them...

they are two fine strong healthy bull calves... what should i be getting for them?

I'll give ya 175 apiece for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Fella onto me for hd bulls and heifers, thinking 250 a piece. What do ye think

keep going wrote: »
    Fella onto me for hd bulls and heifers, thinking 250 a piece. What do ye think
    neighbour got 300 euro cash each for wh heifers last week 2 weeks old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Im buying them at 170 per calf

any recent prices for aa bulls and heifers?

what are aa calves making in the mart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    neighbour got 300 euro cash each for wh heifers last week 2 weeks old
    I'd question if at that price, there much profit in them for the lad buying :(

_Brian wrote: »
    I'd question if at that price, there much profit in them for the lad buying :(

I've had enquiries from one or two looking to source suckler replacements would but a floor under aa and he heifers possibly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

whelan2 wrote: »
    what are aa calves making in the mart?

I got €250 for 3 week old AA bulls this week at mart. Got the same for heifers. I got €140 for a five day old AA heifer. Usually wouldn't sell them that young but was my last trip to mart this year and I cleared the shed.

250 for a bb bull, 90 for two fr bulls 8 aa made 200 one made 220.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

last week - 10 day old AA Bull and heifer ex farm (Lad I knew so idn't argue) €200 a head

this weekend - AAX and BWH heifers 3 weeks old - €172.50 each
    (Dealer) bought a few off him 2 months ago also

Is it not a bit pointless buying calves that young this time of year? They'll miss out on a proper grazing this year and I find that these late calves never catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Is it not a bit pointless buying calves that young this time of year? They'll miss out on a proper grazing this year and I find that these late calves never catch up.

For the prices just mentioned, yes

J DEERE wrote: »
    For the prices just mentioned, yes
    ssssh dont say anything, have 2 left to sell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

In one way yes. However they will be very light going into shed first winter (sub 200kgs) so will cost very little to winter (80c/dayish). If you have a long winter this is an advantage. They will fly next year at grass and if done well will have caught up with calves that are done average. \Even doing them average leaves you with a lightest store going into shed for second year that again will be easy to winter

Lots of lads that but these types of calves aim to sell as stores at 20 months. these cattle are very popular as summer grazers know that they can be carried right through to November when glut of underage cattle are gone. However price seems a bit strong but prices for all dairy stock are crazy this year.

As well lots of lads that do calves like to do them in bunches from February to June buying often in lots of 4 or 5 ever 3-4 weeks. This means that by late June they have 25-30 calves for there farm. Disadvantage is you really need to run them in bunches as stronger calves will out gooble up any meal and get stronger and stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Tomjim

are calves generally cheaper in September/ October, or are there any calves out at that time of year

Tomjim wrote: »
    are calves generally cheaper in September/ October, or are there any calves out at that time of year

There normally a little cheaper in april / may than sept/oct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

last year I bought 2 week old calves in July . They are fine. Not a major issue as running as 2 separate groups and they will always be 4/5 months behind the first ones.

This year though other issues meant I didn't buy calves in March ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

last year I bought 2 week old calves in July . They are fine. Not a major issue as running as 2 separate groups and they will always be 4/5 months behind the first ones.

This year though other issues meant I didn't buy calves in March ,
    I have no problem buying calves during the summer months once they are coming at the right price although I hate having to mix milk replacer for a handful of calves :(
    We have 4 easy going FR & JEx cows that we use to rear some of the better quality FR and coloured bull calves that we buy so we use them to rear summer calves if we buy any.
    Having a few calves (on cows) about the place can be beneficial to both us and neighbours with suckler cows that have lost a calf at birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

im buying in 20 fr bull calves dis sat ( 2 - 4 wks) any ideas on the best system for them as it middle summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

You'll do well to buy them this tme of year. Personally I'd want to be getting a May calf for free and even then...

• Advertisement

im buying in 20 fr bull calves dis sat ( 2 - 4 wks) any ideas on the best system for them as it middle summer?

Best place for them would be on after grass(silage fields) it would be nice and clean for young calves less chance of them catching anything

You'll do well to buy them this tme of year. Personally I'd want to be getting a May calf for free and even then...

Why not a may calf?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭4512

Im a 15 year old who raised 2 whitehead calves this year( bought for 275 a piece in october) hope to sell them as stores in about november 15

Would it be worth while paying for good lim/ bb calves, stick with angus /whitehead or just go for a freisan type in future??

Neither a spring calf nor an autumn calf but the worst of both worlds. Not strong enough to utilise grass and not eating enough when its growing hard so you end up with a calf with a pot belly and a feild full of stemmy grass.

The calf is only getting going and you're housing him.

Money too tight in that game to not be making the most from grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Also possibly looking a third winter in the shed to get them fit for slaughter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

4512 wrote: »
    Im a 15 year old who raised 2 whitehead calves this year( bought for 275 a piece in october) hope to sell them as stores in about november 15

Would it be worth while paying for good lim/ bb calves, stick with angus /whitehead or just go for a freisan type in future??

My advice is to stick with the AA/WH. Hardy breed for ya to learn your trade before you venture into more expensive breeds

4512 wrote: »

If you are buying in the autumn I stick with the HE if possible. AA can be too butty and crossed with HO which a lot of cows calving in the autumn are can be very fine boned. I would keep away from BB but Good LMX calves can be cheaper than AA to buy as bucket fed.

Autumn Fresian can be great value but need to be kept longer than 12 months ideally until at least 24 months. At above 550kgs LW there tends to be a good trade late in the year. However if undr this weight you can struggle to get a good price for the as farmers that buy such animals tend to be mean ba5tards:D

Now now Pudsey nobody on here said you were mane!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

If you are buying in the autumn I stick with the HE if possible. AA can be too butty and crossed with HO which a lot of cows calving in the autumn are can be very fine boned. I would keep away from BB but Good LMX calves can be cheaper than AA to buy as bucket fed.

Autumn Fresian can be great value but need to be kept longer than 12 months ideally until at least 24 months. At above 550kgs LW there tends to be a good trade late in the year. However if undr this weight you can struggle to get a good price for the as farmers that buy such animals tend to be mean ba5tards:D
    Mean or cute?

I would say cute. Mean is the lad that buys the chx for show and won't feed them on as "he has too much money spent on them already". Cute sees value in an animal and feeds on to make profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Cute sees value in an animal and feeds on to make profit.

That's true,uncle rears around 50 whitehead calves a year and does well on them,sure wouldn't anyone rather have a field full of 50 Charolais calves but if the whiteheads make the most money because there cheaper to buy.

IH784man wrote: »
    That's true,uncle rears around 50 whitehead calves a year and does well on them,sure wouldn't anyone rather have a field full of 50 Charolais calves but if the whiteheads make the most money because there cheaper to buy.

It about capital(money )tied up in stock as well. In general for two CHX calves you could buy three HEX with maybe a 50 spot left over. On a good day (or a bad day for the dairy farmer) you could buy 10-12 fresians or maybe 8 Fresians and 8 JeXFr crosses.

But you would have to carry the JeXFr to finish. But it can be a good way to get into stock numbers

IH784man wrote: »
    sure wouldn't anyone rather have a field full of 50 Charolais calves but if the whiteheads make the most money because there cheaper to buy.

I dont get that. If i was breeding them then yes I'd want to have the best but a field of fancy bought in cattle just means you are good at waving the cheque book about

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

so am i doing right or wrong buying in batch of fr bulls they comin tomorow

so am i doing right or wrong buying in batch of fr bulls they comin tomorow

Like anything it depend on what you pay for them and what you intend doing with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement