Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf Prices 2015 *** DISCUSSION THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Base price wrote: »
    I don't know mart prices at present as I seldom attend due to the fact that most marts are "controlled" by dealers :mad:
    I have been buying a few suck calves from local dairy farmers in the last few weeks to rear on.
    Paying €135 (average) for 10 day to 2 week old AAx/HEx bulls and €65 for nice type Friesians.
    I seldom buy heifer calves unless they are potential replacements to the suckler herd.

There is value in them BP. will be on the hunt mid nov and will do well to sourse at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

I don't know mart prices at present as I seldom attend due to the fact that most marts are "controlled" by dealers :mad:
    I have been buying a few suck calves from local dairy farmers in the last few weeks to rear on.
    Paying €135 (average) for 10 day to 2 week old AAx/HEx bulls and €65 for nice type Friesians.
    I seldom buy heifer calves unless they are potential replacements to the suckler herd.

They sound v cheap to me. I expect the dairy calf market to be strong next yr with all this talk of supermarkets now looking for handy sized steaks from fr/aa/he rather than the big u grading continentals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

They sound v cheap to me. I expect the dairy calf market to be strong next yr with all this talk of supermarkets now looking for handy sized steaks from fr/aa/he rather than the big u grading continentals

They are talking about these sized steaks for awhile now but yet the mart will go mad for big continental weanlings all the same .
    I think there is neither sense nor reason to calf prices the past couple of years . I think BP's price is some way realistic towards leaving a profit and she knows well that there ain't no point paying anymore unless she wants them for petting or looking at !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

any prices for fr bulls?

whelan2 wrote: »
    any prices for fr bulls?

How many have ya?

How many have ya?
    1 :D

1 :D

I'll join the queue!

spoke with a lad who was at Ardee mart today, about 30 calves. fr bulls from 50 to 130 euro. bb to 390. aaf to 180 and aa bulls a bit more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

spoke with a lad who was at Ardee mart today, about 30 calves. fr bulls from 50 to 130 euro. bb to 390. aaf to 180 and aa bulls a bit more

Bit mad for the BB

Reggie. wrote: »
    Bit mad for the BB
    fools and their money are easily parted, it must have been a big enough calf and the sfp must have been burning a hole in his pocket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

what are fr bull calves bringing at the min? 2 - 4 weeks old

marathon wrote: »
    what are fr bull calves bringing at the min? 2 - 4 weeks old
    85 for 2 week old fr bull ex yard

sounds like good price

sounds like good price
    was a good calf on cow

I was talkin to a guy this evening he said he payed 200 for a fr that cant be right

I was talkin to a guy this evening he said he payed 200 for a fr that cant be right

Well if he wanted to be rid of the 200 he could have

it was bit much I taut

what age?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

what would 5/6 month old frisian bull calves making?

• Advertisement

5 weeks

Henwin wrote: »
    what would 5/6 month old frisian bull calves making?

Lads are paying as much as 450 for them. 320 would be more like it for good sorts.

Was at calf sale. Friend had 2 blue bulls 4 weeks old 370 &470. Was another blue made 530. Crazy stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Lads are paying as much as 450 for them. 320 would be more like it for good sorts.

good selection in Nenagh to day easily making €2/kg + for br fr types most making €500 +/-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

and they are the same price 9 months later. I cant figure it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Have I missed something about the Belgian blue.
    Why are people after them? I have a 4 month bull and a couple of lads looking to buy. He is nothing special.

• Advertisement

jimini0 wrote: »
    Have I missed something about the Belgian blue.
    Why are people after them? I have a 4 month bull and a couple of lads looking to buy. He is nothing special.

Pure crazy in Mart today. Crap fr bulls from 80 euro. Angus and hereford going up tp 340. Sold my calves too cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Pure crazy in Mart today. Crap fr bulls from 80 euro. Angus and hereford going up tp 340. Sold my calves too cheap

We sell all our calves in the mart. Even if you sell your calves at home bringing the odd few to the mart will give you an idea of their worth.
    In enniscorthy this spring prices were good (if you're selling) with angus and Hereford heifer calves making more than the bulls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

and they are the same price 9 months later. I cant figure it.

Fact is they're only worth 300, and you need them motoring well every day for the remainder of their lives.

orm0nd wrote: »
    good selection in Nenagh to day easily making €2/kg + for br fr types most making €500 +/-

This would be more like it
    http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/15-british-friesian-bullocks/10735130

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I see lot numbers on two of their backs as well.
    Nice day out for them to pick up bugs in the mart.......or a chance to make a quick buck with some white lies :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Kovu wrote: »
    I see lot numbers on two of their backs as well.
    Nice day out for them to pick up bugs in the mart.......or a chance to make a quick buck with some white lies :rolleyes:

Ya noticed that alright

He has 6 mth old weanlings for sale as well for 25 quid more than the calves...:D

Do lads still fall for the **** these lads do be telling tho?
    Phoned a lad up about a pb heifer he had for sale said she was home bred and it was her first calf
    When i checked icbf with her tag no she was 5 yrs old and it was her second calf - she had ahd a calf when she was 2.5 and nothing since v fertile alright
    Oh and the tag no didnt match the county he was from not even close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

ellewood wrote: »
    Ya noticed that alright

He has 6 mth old weanlings for sale as well for 25 quid more than the calves...:D

Do lads still fall for the **** these lads do be telling tho?
    Phoned a lad up about a pb heifer he had for sale said she was home bred and it was her first calf
    When i checked icbf with her tag no she was 5 yrs old and it was her second calf - she had ahd a calf when she was 2.5 and nothing since v fertile alright
    Oh and the tag no didnt match the county he was from not even close
    Stupid question but how did you manage to get her tag number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Stupid question but how did you manage to get her tag number?

It was in the picture she was posing in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

ellewood wrote: »
    It was in the picture she was posing in :D

Lol :):) School boy error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Have White head Bulls and heifers for sale all born in last 3 weeks.

What should I be asking?

Have White head Bulls and heifers for sale all born in last 3 weeks.

What should I be asking?
    300 minimum, worst he i saw yesterday still made 200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

300 minimum, worst he i saw yesterday still made 200

Surely then that means €200 minimum!

Surely then that means €200 minimum!
    i am assuming his calves aren't as bad as the one that made 200:D

i am assuming his calves aren't as bad as the one that made 200:D

Never assume :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

€300 min for Hex sucks is serious money. Where is the profit in them ?? Is there still talk of a glut of dairy bred beef hitting the factories in the back end of '16 ?

Was 4 or 5 calves with bad enough ringworm there yesterday. Don't think they should have been in with the rest of them. Would you bring calves to the Mart with ringworm on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Was 4 or 5 calves with bad enough ringworm there yesterday. Don't think they should have been in with the rest of them. Would you bring calves to the Mart with ringworm on them?

Ideally no, will knock back the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

_Brian wrote: »
    €300 min for Hex sucks is serious money. Where is the profit in them ?? Is there still talk of a glut of dairy bred beef hitting the factories in the back end of '16 ?

Was in Carlow mart last Monday week seen he bull calves making €350/360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/tasting-success-with-the-farm-to-fork-approach-34143042.html
    It's no wonder the angus heifer calves were making 10 euro more than the bulls in enniscorthy this spring.
    A good business who know exactly what the customer wants.
    Well done to them and if you want quality steak head to gorey.:D:D

simx wrote: »
    Was in Carlow mart last Monday week seen he bull calves making €350/360

Lads can pay that if they wish but it's making the profit at the far end is the issue. Lads have to control themselves. Wonder was it dealers pushing up the price

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

What does any of this have to do with the price of calves?

[mod]BOOOF

.......and gone![/mod]

anyone know how prices of fr bull calves goin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

anyone know how prices of fr bull calves goin?
    €50 - €120 depending on quality from 2 week old up - not out of Jersey or JEx crosses.
    Dairy farmers are holding hard on calf prices probably due to current milk prices. However I reckon that prices will tumble coming into the New Year when a lot of stock will be on the ground.

• Advertisement

Anyone been at any calf sales lately. From what I'm hearing they are still unjustifiably expensive. A well made lenghty month old hex calf should be no more than €275-€290. Any more than that and you'd be as well getting good bfr bulls for the €120 mark. I wonder what's driving the prices considering that there is supposed to be a glut of calves and all the warning signs of over population by late next yr early 2017 in factory.

Advertisement