Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I buy/plant mature conifer?

• 24-01-2015 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

As the title says, I want to hide an ugly wall and I think planting a couple of conifers/evergreen would be ideal. I know absolutely nothing about gardening and was wondering can you buy a mature conifer, already grown to about 3 or 4 feet because I dont have the patience to be waiting years for tiny things to grow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Laurel would be a better option. Will regrow after trimming. Buy pot grown and keep watered for first year and it will grow perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Delphinium wrote: »
    Laurel would be a better option. Will regrow after trimming. Buy pot grown and keep watered for first year and it will grow perfectly.

Thanks but is that not more of a tree thing really? I googled it and a lot of the images look like its got more of a trunk. Think Id prefer some type of fast growing conifer which would be easy enough to trim and control. Do you know can you re-plant them into your garden bought at around 4 feet? I cant seem to get this specific information off google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

maggiepip wrote: »
    As the title says, I want to hide an ugly wall and I think planting a couple of conifers/evergreen would be ideal. I know absolutely nothing about gardening and was wondering can you buy a mature conifer, already grown to about 3 or 4 feet because I dont have the patience to be waiting years for tiny things to grow?

Yes and yes.

Try future forests they have a selection of bare root and potted trees and should have something to suit you.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Yes and yes.

Try future forests they have a selection of bare root and potted trees and should have something to suit you.

Excellent thank you:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

In general you can buy conifers up to 4-5 m as long as the nursery had transplanted it often enough (for 3-4 ft twice is a must!). A good nursery can tell you about how often a certain plant should have been transplanted and how often it acutally had been. Mostly from a certain size on those come with a root ball. If you choose from a pot make sure the pot size is big enough and the plant is not living in this very same pot (and soil) for ages.

• Advertisement

Niall_daaS wrote: »
    In general you can buy conifers up to 4-5 m as long as the nursery had transplanted it often enough (for 3-4 ft twice is a must!). A good nursery can tell you about how often a certain plant should have been transplanted and how often it acutally had been. Mostly from a certain size on those come with a root ball. If you choose from a pot make sure the pot size is big enough and the plant is not living in this very same pot (and soil) for ages.

Thank you for that, I dont suppose you'd know a general/guide price I can expect to pay for a 4ish foot conifer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Thank you for that, I dont suppose you'd know a general/guide price I can expect to pay for a 4ish foot conifer ?

Future forests have that size bareroot from €9

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Future forests have that size bareroot from €9

Thanks again! Crikey I looked through the site and saw their conifers but I couldn't see what size they were actually selling them at, I think I thought the size was what they'll grow to, duh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭macraignil

Lidle have conifers in at the moment in pots around three foot high. If you are looking for something fast growing you will need to clip it more often to keep it under control as many conifers naturaly grow far too big for most gardens. I have seen people keep a row of nice conifers in containers and the roots being restricted would reduce their rate of growth. There are other evergreen options besides conifers that might be less work in maintenance later. I would choose an evergreen Viburnum, Hebe, Pieris 'Forest Flame' or photinia "red robin" some of which should be available at about three foot high at good garden centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

Actually 'conifer' descripes everything from thuja to pine to christmas trees. So it depends on kind of conifer you are looking for. If it's from the simple range of thuja the I'd say the 9 EUR someone mentioned is a very good price (eg for a Thuja 'Brabant'). If you are looking for larger sizes just go to a nursery who might fill you in with some further details.

• Advertisement
Advertisement