Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange Rate and Flight Prices

Options
  • 24-01-2015 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Looking for flights home this summer, wondering if it's possible (or cheaper) to book flights in Euro with European carriers (Aer Lingus, Air France etc.) that originate in the US.

Can't seem to figure out if the exchange rate is impacting flight prices, looking at ~$1000 for flights in June. Don't normally fly home during the summer so not used to it being so expensive, last time it cost me $600 over Christmas.

$1000 is E890 today, it was closer to E750 last time I was home.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Exchange rates are shockingly low right now.

€1 = $1.12

Probably be in your best interest to convert as much money over as you can.

Just my 2c (heh.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

June is peak season. I usually fly in late April / very Early May or leave it til September. Summer months are always pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I paid $1200 a ticket from Philly last August. Sticker shock, indeed. I miss the good old days of roundtrip flights for $350.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭dimsumss

wait until fares drop due to oil prices dropping and the dollar going higher

what airport are you leaving from

• Registered Users Posts: 25,441 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The flight and cabin staff on Aer Lingus transatlantic flights are based in Dublin and paid in Euros so if anything I'd expect the US Dollar fares to go down.

The price of oil has gone down but oil is priced in US Dollars so the recent fall in the (Euro vs. Dollar) exchange rate will have eroded a lot of that potential saving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Airlines hedge months of fuel so I doubt the drop will impact ticket prices until much later in the year.

All else being equal though with the change in the euro to dollar exchange rate either the euro price would go up or the dollar price would go down for the same itinerary. Unless the fare is based on the country of origin of the itinerary, does anyone know if that is the case?

A quick search indicates that flying Ireland to the US costs E700 but flying the US to Ireland on the same dates comes in at E950. So my guess is they rig the pricing to keep it consistent depending on where your itinerary originates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

spideog7 wrote: »
    Airlines hedge months of fuel so I doubt the drop will impact ticket prices until much later in the year.

All else being equal though with the change in the euro to dollar exchange rate either the euro price would go up or the dollar price would go down for the same itinerary. Unless the fare is based on the country of origin of the itinerary, does anyone know if that is the case?

A quick search indicates that flying Ireland to the US costs E700 but flying the US to Ireland on the same dates comes in at E950. So my guess is they rig the pricing to keep it consistent depending on where your itinerary originates.

Try pricing the flights again but use a VPN, I've had wildly differing results when the website thinks I'm in Ireland (or the US, depending on which way I'm going).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP use google flights. It gives you the cheapest flight opinions with all airlines pretty much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Try pricing the flights again but use a VPN, I've had wildly differing results when the website thinks I'm in Ireland (or the US, depending on which way I'm going).

Tried a VPN and it didn't work, seems to revert to pricing for the country of origin regardless.

I did notice last year that rental cars in the US were much cheaper when booked through the Irish websites (although technically the small print says that the rate is not valid if you have a US drivers license).

Advertisement