Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How will you vote in the Marriage Equality referendum? Mod Note Post 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

reprise wrote: »
    So do I, I find Gerry Adams expertise on homosexuality quite sickening given his willful ignorance on rape and pedophilia.

What?

What has one got to do with the other?

Just because you might (with good reason) dislike Gerry Adams, what has that got to do with the veracity of his statement.

If he said the grass was green, would you also take issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Hi floggg,

I'm straight. Unlike Gerry Adams, I claim no expertise in homosexuality.

At marriage, I am a legend. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Hi floggg,

You don't need to be an expert to know that people are born straight, gay, bi or whatever. It's pretty basic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I asked my oul pair what way they were voting(knowing what they would say) and of course they were voting no.

When I debated why, it ended with my da turning up the news full blast and shouting "I'M NOT LISTENING!!!!".

Point is, don't be surprised if no side wins as they are two people who consider themselves liberal and intelligent/free thinking. Representative of many others like them.

Vote yes, don't think everyone else will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭spikeS

Ush1 wrote: »
    I asked my oul pair what way they were voting(knowing what they would say) and of course they were voting no.

When I debated why, it ended with my da turning up the news full blast and shouting "I'M NOT LISTENING!!!!".

Point is, don't be surprised if no side wins as they are two people who consider themselves liberal and intelligent/free thinking. Representative of many others like them.

Vote yes, don't think everyone else will.

The no side only has the older side, look at support here with the younger people, yes has this with a landside and older people can do nothing about it

Hi floggg,

So do you disagree with what he said, and if so why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

spikeS wrote: »
    The no side only has the older side, look at support here with the younger people, yes has this with a landside and older people can do nothing about it

Older people vote in huge numbers compared to younger groups. Its all fine and good notionally being supportive of equal marriage but if they don't actually get out and vote it will count for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I wouldn't be as confident. A lot of older people vote and most wouldn't be on boards, and there is a heck of a lot of old people out there.

No, no, no.

Yes only wins for younger people show up - something we cannot always be trusted to do.

The older generation, as well as younger people opposed to this change, will show up en masse.

So we need to drive a big turn out, and any suggestion that this is in the bag is naive and dangerous for the yes side.

Take nothing for granted. Get out and vote, and encourage any yes supoorters you know to do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

tigger123 wrote: »
    You don't need to be an expert to know that people are born straight, gay, bi or whatever. It's pretty basic stuff.

Self stereotyping is rarely infallible.

Older people vote in huge numbers compared to younger groups. Its all fine and good notionally being supportive of equal marriage but if they don't actually get out and vote it will count for nothing.

Looking at boards we have the under 40's locked, everyone is voting yes other then the one or two trolls, we care enough and will vastly outnumber the old folks on the day.

The homophobes have lost due to time and the youths progressiveness there is nothing they can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

floggg wrote: »
    Yes only wins for younger people show up - something we cannot always be trusted to do.

And sure knowing the government, the referendum will probably be held on a day during college exams or something.

Looking at boards we have the under 40's locked, everyone is voting yes other then the one or two trolls, we care enough and will vastly outnumber the old folks on the day.

The homophobes have lost due to time and the youths progressiveness there is nothing they can do

They haven't lost. The debate has really only just begun. The divorce referendum in 1995 enjoyed similar lofty projections of victory roughly the same period out from voting day, in the end it passed by roughly half a percent and many believe this was only because it was unusually wet that day in the west.

The single greatest danger to the yes side is complacency.

They haven't lost. The debate has really only just begun. The divorce referendum in 1995 enjoyed similar lofty projections of victory roughly the same period out from voting day, in the end it passed by roughly half a percent and many believe this was only because it was unusually wet that day in the west.

The single greatest danger to the yes side is complacency.

That was 20 years ago, they are the old no voters of the day, their children have progressed and are way more enlightened then their parents, any forum I have been on have 98% being yes voters with the odd no troll being banned within a day. It's no longer 1995

That was 20 years ago, they are the old no voters of the day, their children have progressed and are way more enlightened then their parents, any forum I have been on have 98% being yes voters with the odd no troll being banned within a day. It's no longer 1995

How many of the over 65s regularly use internet forums? This is a perfect example of the dangers of a the echo chamber.

• Advertisement

How many of the over 65s regularly use internet forums? This is a perfect example of the dangers of a the echo chamber.

There is a lot of 40's and overs here, the religious crowd of the 90's over 65 have mostly passed on now. And none of the youth is voting no

My parents know how to use the internet but it wouldn't even occur to them to join message boards or social media platforms. You aren't hearing the older generations voices here because they don't use forums like this.

Also, when did younger voters ever mobilise on mass for anything in this country. Younger voters are the least likely to get off their area and vote.

Older voters are the most likely.

If everybody's vote in the country was counted, the yes side would win (assuming the No sides fear mongering and red herrings don't sow too much confusion on the issues).

But everybody's vote won't be counted because lots of people won't bother to vote.

So instead of telling everybody that this is a done deal, and thus giving the impression to people Tree or vote might not be needed, it would be much more productive of you to just tell people to vote.

The more you say it's a done deal, the less likely the vote will carry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

There is a lot of 40's and overs here, the religious crowd of the 90's over 65 have mostly passed on now. And none of the youth is voting no

You are presupposing that everyone that would vote yes will actually get off their arse, register to vote and then go out on the day and vote.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

Boards.ie is meaningless when it comes to this referendum.

If it happened tomorrow it would probably be defeated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

If the "no trolls" were being banned within a day then what makes you think genuine no voters (not trolls) aren't being banned too? Or aren't bothering to voice their opinion in case they are labelled as a no troll rather than a poster with a genuine opinion.

And you keep saying "there is nothing they can do"... they can vote no. And they will. They are the ones that actually WILL do something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Thats been said many a time before and like I said earlier in thread. I've yet to see a boards poll be anywhere close to an actual referendum result percentage.

Like it or lump it the fact remains that % older people vote in alot higher numbers in referendums and are more active.

% wise older people will be more likely to be against gay marriage

% wise the catholic teachings (agree with them or not) has been ingrained in many a person.

This referendum is not over by a long shot, but then again as a person who will vote no myself (awaits the typical tyrade accusations of being anti gay) :rolleyes:

I hope the yes side make it easier for that no victory by thinking its already won :)

Please do continue to think this is the case I implore you :P:P:P:P:P

This referendum is not over by a long shot, but then again as a person who will vote no myself (awaits the typical tyrade accusations of being anti gay) :rolleyes:

Any reason why you're voting No to equal rights for homosexual couples?

Thats been said many a time before and like I said earlier in thread. I've yet to see a boards poll be anywhere close to an actual referendum result percentage.

Like it or lump it the fact remains that % older people vote in alot higher numbers in referendums and are more active.

% wise older people will be more likely to be against gay marriage

% wise the catholic teachings (agree with them or not) has been ingrained in many a person.

I hope the yes side make it easier for that no victory by thinking its already won :)

Oh you are not anti-gay you are just anti-gay people enjoying the same rights as their straight compatriots.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stevowhelo1

I will vote yes. I think that by voting no it supports a backwards mentality that was once present in Ireland. We must move on and rid ourselves of such a backwards point of view, this world doesn't need that type of mentality :) we all deserve the right to love peacefully without question.

- Teenager with many gay friends and a gay relative. Peace .

Daith wrote: »
    Any reason why you're voting No to equal rights for homosexual couples?

Plenty, to be honest in principle I have no problems with equal rights for gay couples and indeed have close friends who are struggling with many aspects of equality after herself and herself got married up North so I do understand the various complexities gay couples have in terms of recognition of many different things with the State.

But heres the thing, as I have many close gay friends of both sexes I do not agree with the doors and issues that it will open up in the future particularly with regard to adoption of children.

And yes I know obviously its possible for 2 women to have a child (as my friends above have done) but thats biological advantage to women same sex couples.

Plenty, to be honest in principle I have no problems with equal rights for gay couples and indeed have close friends who are struggling with many aspects of equality after herself and herself got married up North.

But heres the thing, as I have many close gay friends of both sexes I do not agree with the doors and issues that it will open up in the future particularly with regard to adoption of children.

And yes I know obviously its possible for 2 women to have a child (as my friends above have done) but thats biological advantage to women same sex couples.

Gay people can already adopt. Gay couples will be able to adopt together before the referendum.

Plenty, to be honest in principle I have no problems with equal rights for gay couples and indeed have close friends who are struggling with many aspects of equality after herself and herself got married up North so I do understand the various complexities gay couples have in terms of recognition of many different things with the state.

Gay men can still adopt you voting no won't change that, homophobes only use kids cause they don't want to say they are homophobic

Gay people can already adopt. Gay couples will be able to adopt together before the referendum.

As of now can they jointly adopt a child under the Civil Partnership Act 2010 ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Plenty, to be honest in principle I have no problems with equal rights for gay couples and indeed have close friends who are struggling with many aspects of equality after herself and herself got married up North so I do understand the various complexities gay couples have in terms of recognition of many different things with the State.

How is it that all these No voters have gay friends? :rolleyes:

As of now can they jointly adopt a child under the Civil Partnership Act 2010 ??

Not yet but that is changing in advance of the referendum to allow couples to jointly adopt.

• Advertisement

Gay men can still adopt you voting no won't change that, homophobes only use kids cause they don't want to say they are homophobic

And idiots will only call people like me homophobes when I posted a detailed post just prior to yours ;);););)

Voting no won't stop gay people adopting.

There's a problem in your logic here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

What does this have to do with the marriage referendum?? Adoption by homosexual couples is coming either way.

And idiots will only call people like me homophobes when I posted a detailed post just prior to yours ;);););)

I wouldn't call you a homophobe. Misinformed yes.

No they cannot.

Regardless the argument in your post is nullified. Can you illustrate other reasons you want to vote to maintain the second class status of your friends and other LGB people?

Well that is exactly the point.

Firstly as has been pointed out to you this referendum has nothing to do with adoption and gay adoption exists already - so your choice to vote "no" for this reason is simply a misinformed decision.

However let us imagine for a moment that you are correct and this referendum WAS relevant to this. What exists now is that gay people can adopt singly. That is to say - when the people evaluating the placement of a child evaluate such a case - they are doing it on incomplete information. They only have half the story.

I do not know about you - but that worries me. I want to think that the people evaluating the placement of a child for adoption have as much information to base their evaluation on as they can.

So given adoption by gay singles ALREADY exists - is it not better that such people be married and therefore the adoption agency will have the full data set upon which to base their evaluation?

This is before we get into the simple fact that you and others on the thread have failed to put together an argument as to what is wrong with gay couples adopting in the first place - even if it were relevant to this referndum - which as you have been told a few times already: It is not.

eviltwin wrote: »
    How is it that all these No voters have gay friends? :rolleyes:

Lets see shall I count them out LOL 2 gay cousins, 1 gay female couple, no gay male couples, i employ 4 openly gay males and do business with at least another 2 gay males weekly but I suspect that number to be 4 or 5 :P:P:P:P

I was even a steward in Gay Pride parade 2 years ago

But heres the thing alot of gay people don't understand that I can empathise, understand gay rights issues, not be afraid of gays (even if some of them can be OTT in your face annoying), form professional and friendly relationships and so on.

All of that doesn't mean that I have to conform the the gay agenda way of thinking. I can form my own opinion and agree with certain aspects and disagree with other aspects based on my upbringing and sexual orientation such is my right

And frankly any person who labels another person a homophobe for fully or partially disagreeing with their opinion does their argument more damage than good and posters like spikes is exactly the kind of person who will lose this referendum for you guys.

And frankly any person who labels another person a homophobe for fully or partially disagreeing with their opinion does their argument more damage than good.

You see everyone has an opinion. It doesn't mean their opinion is correct.

You brought up the adoption piece. The referendum has nothing to do with it

Don't be so quick to place yourself as the victim if your arguments aren't any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Gay people can have children and can raise them with their same sex partner. There are many doing it right now. The only change will be that it will be possible for the other partner to be a legal guardian of the child.

If you are voting know because you are against gay people adopting you are either blind or misinformed. Adoption in Ireland isn't that common and gay people can already adopt a child.

• Advertisement

As has been said, gay people can currently adopt but are assessed as a single person.

The ability to adopt will be extended to gay couples shortly, and regardless of the outcome of the referendum.

There are also many children being raised by gay couples already - though their rights are severely prejudiced by the lack of full recognition of their parents relationship, as they only have a relationship in law with one of them.

Finally, it is now well settled that children raised by gay couples fare just as well children raised by heterosexual couples, and no disadvantage for children raised by gay couples has been identified.

We can provide links to those studies to back it up if you wish.

Any of that change your mind. If not, what is your specific concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Just an observation, but I can see many No voters deciding not to register on this poll or comment in the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I get nervous when people announce a victory for the yes vote already. It ain't over until the fat lady sings 'n' all da and I don't believe we can be so cocky. We should really be hammering home to friends and family how important it is to register and to vote.

I wouldn't be so sure it's simply a case of young voters voting yes and older voters voting no; look at the results so far and remember that most Boards posters would be under 50 (under 40, even). My stepmother is so Catholic she joined a convent briefly in her early 20s but she's voting yes (as is my dad in his early 70s). We CAN'T get complacent.

The point was made before that it's probably a waste of time trying to change the minds of definite no voters and instead we should be focusing on those who don't know, who wouldn't normally vote but would vote yes in theory and ensure the already existing yes voters actually get out on the day and vote and not assume it's a done deal.

Just an observation, but I can see many No voters deciding not to register on this poll or comment in the thread

The poll is private I can understand if they did not want to post to show they are homophobic but they can vote no in the poll above and no one would know. It's just that most youth are just not homophobic anymore.

So given adoption by gay singles ALREADY exists - is it not better that such people be married and therefore the adoption agency will have the full data set upon which to base their evaluation?

This is before we get into the simple fact that you and others on the thread have failed to put together an argument as to what is wrong with gay couples adopting in the first place - even if it were relevant to this referndum - which as you have been told a few times already: It is not.

Firstly, can I just say I appreciate logical / thought out responses as opposed to responses like spikes.

You are 100% right in your rationale two is better than 1 and a long term committed relationship is better (and I will also concede that straight couples do not value long term either).

Call it trolling , ignorant, call it whatever you want, my upbringing in terms of family values, teachings and yes even religious views means I fundamently disagree with same sex marriage according to my personal values.

That doesn't mean I don't support gay issues / equality on a myriad of other things because I do. But for me I personally draw the line at the institute of children and marriage.

And frankly the pro side will have to engage with people like me with no fully rational reason en masse to win this referendum.

That doesn't mean I don't support gay issues / equality on a myriad of other things because I do. But for me I personally draw the line at the institute of children and marriage.

So you don't support equality for gay people. Can you not just say that?

You just seem to want people to call you whatever. Not sure I get the point of that.

• Advertisement

Don't be so quick to place yourself as the victim if your arguments aren't any good.

I'm not playing any victim
    Finally, it is now well settled that children raised by gay couples fare just as well children raised by heterosexual couples, and no disadvantage for children raised by gay couples has been identified.

We can provide links to those studies to back it up if you wish.

I've read plenty of figures reports mainly from the US in particular and I will not only agree with you but I will say that in some cases the children have excelled and like I said earlier plenty of straight couples people do not value the family unit (regardless of its shape) either.

But it does not change my fundamental opinion

Lets see shall I count them out LOL 2 gay cousins, 1 gay female couple, no gay male couples, i employ 4 openly gay males and do business with at least another 2 gay males weekly but I suspect that number to be 4 or 5 :P:P:P:P

I was even a steward in Gay Pride parade 2 years ago

But heres the thing alot of gay people don't understand that I can empathise, understand gay rights issues, not be afraid of gays (even if some of them can be OTT in your face annoying), form professional and friendly relationships and so on.

All of that doesn't mean that I have to conform the the gay agenda way of thinking. I can form my own opinion and agree with certain aspects and disagree with other aspects based on my upbringing and sexual orientation such is my right

And frankly any person who labels another person a homophobe for fully or partially disagreeing with their opinion does their argument more damage than good and posters like spikes is exactly the kind of person who will lose this referendum for you guys.

I don't think you're a homophobe. I am surprised that you have so many gay friends and even more surprised you volunteer for Pride. I would find it hard to be friends with someone who judged my suitability as a parent on my sexual preferences. I'm just struggling to understand how you can only focus on that one part and ignore everything else.

So you don't support equality for gay people. Can you not just say that?

You just seem to want people to call you whatever. Not sure I get the point of that.

I don't agree with his stance, but he has respectfully set it out and engaged in it (to a limited extent) without showing any animus or disrespect.

Show him the same respect. Badgering him and taking pot shots isn't going to get you anywhere. I

I'm not playing any victim

You're expecting people to call you names for your opinion.

You're opinions lack any logic though.

Show him the same respect. Badgering him and taking pot shots isn't going to get you anywhere. I

Honestly, I don't see how any person can say they support equality for gay people and in the same sentence say they don't.

Sorry.

I'm not expecting to get anywhere either.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement