Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on subletting

Options
  • 24-01-2015 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

My friend and I have just agreed and will be signing a lease for a three bedroom property. The landlord is PRTB registered and all above board. We have gained permission from the landlord to sublet the third room. We've never done this before and would be grateful for any advice. Would a sublease agreement be enforceable? Would either parties have differing rights?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'm open to correction but I suspect the 3rd person would be a mere licensee. Frankly thats the way I'd want it in case it turned out you were living with a asshat.

Basically no security of tenure either way. Either party would end the agreement by giving reasonable notice (say a week).

I'd take first week and last weeks rent and a deposit to the value of a few hundred euro depending on the room fit etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Celtise wrote: »
    My friend and I have just agreed and will be signing a lease for a three bedroom property. The landlord is PRTB registered and all above board. We have gained permission from the landlord to sublet the third room. We've never done this before and would be grateful for any advice. Would a sublease agreement be enforceable? Would either parties have differing rights?
    My first question, as a person who has rented a room as a licensee on numerous occasions in my life, would be, "Are all bills included?"

It is a much easier way to budget for the licensee and when s/he leaves, there is no dispute about waiting for bills to arrive, maybe a month later.

A licensee agreement (also known as rent-a-room) is seldom written (I've never had one) and just some house rules shown and discussed with the licensee. Things like tidiness and cleaning after use, smoking and other responsibilities. If bills are included, about turning lights out when not in use etc.

I have always paid a months deposit and a months rent in advance, though back in the 60s/70s it was sometimes weekly.

Advertisement