Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog in heat question

• 24-01-2015 11:12pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Elly ( 8-9 mnths) looks like she is just coming into heat, slight discharge showing. Typically I'd her booked in to be spayed in a couple of weeks, when I'd time off!
    Anyway someone mentioned that there's an injection they can have to stop the heat. Is this right? If so, is it safe? Is there a point up to which she can have it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To be honest I would leave her now and let her have her season esp if she's just starting.

I don't think you could give it now that it's started but I could be wrong.
    Maybe just check with your vet to be sure.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Thanks for the answer, I think my main worry is that although 99% of the time she is kept inside, there are times when I have to be away for longer than she can hold her bladder. In those situations they are outside in a contained garden.

Next week I am away for a full day, I have someone coming to check on them in the afternoon but that is the earliest they can be checked on. So I can't really leave them inside for that length of time. I'm worried that being outside is not going to be safe for her now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To be honest I'd rather come home to a pee inside to clean up rather than risking leaving her outside.

She might surprise you though and not go in the house for that length of time.

andreac wrote: »
    To be honest I'd rather come home to a pee inside to clean up rather than risking leaving her outside.

She might surprise you though and not go in the house for that length of time.

I'm thinking that might be a better solution, I might see if I can figure out a way to contain her in the kitchen, we're open plan, but it would be easier to clean.

She definitely would surprise me!! She has no problems peeing somewhere if I'm not quick enough to open the door!! Her latest place is in her bed, not her crate mind, but their shared bed!

Could I ask another question please!

We are now into week two and she is starting to drive my other bitch mad. Sometimes she'll be tolerated but most of the time she's really annoying her.

How long does this stage last for? The behaviour can get quite aggressive and is very stressful for all of us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Separate the bitches too. A bitch who is receptive will hump anything with a pulse! She will also present herself right in their faces. This can all cause serious fights. This phase is not as long lasting but can vary depending on the bitch. She probably be like this for several days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

Knine wrote: »
    Separate the bitches too. A bitch who is receptive will hump anything with a pulse! .

So true. My little madra spends all day long humping my son's football's out the back garden.
    It is the most ridiculous (but funny) sight to see when you look out the window
    she is a tiny Yorkie so to see her climb up on and hump a football is strange

question: we had her spayed on 5th January and thought her football humping days were over but she's back at it again. ... I thought this stopped after the spaying no?

Advertisement