Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie runners

Comments

pconn062 wrote: »
    I wouldn't make the leap that you've made that all accountants are pricks...

Um...but they are! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

yantz wrote: »
    I've seen this kind of thing before. I got sneered at in Raheny just this past weekend by a "club runner" for wearing a Runner's Support Page T-Shirt. There does seem to be elitism amongst the fast runners.
    Look. Forget it. Not trying to cause a fuss. I have no idea if they were a club runner or not. It was merely a story I heard from a few of the RSP gals. I just was trying to highlight the kind of obsticles us newbies often face.

So which was it ? You were getting the abuse or someone else was ? Something fishy going on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

pconn062 wrote: »
    Yeah but what have these events got to do with club or "fast" runners? What you both stumbled upon there is called a "prick". They exist in all walks of life, if an accountant gave me abuse I would assume that he was just a said prick, I wouldn't make the leap that you've made that all accountants are pricks and prone to shouting abuse.

I wasn't suggesting for one second that runners do this. I should have explained it better. My point was just that when I was running in events I never heard anything negative like that only when I was running on my own. Most people who will make a comment at a solo runner won't have the nerve to do it at an event. I would assume any of that carry on would be dealt with by stewards or other spectators. That's why it surprised me it happened. If I had been standing beside that guy I'd have told him to shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

No one has ever shouted at me, but I have heard stories from other women about this happening when they're running alone. I really hope it wasn't a runner ( club or not) doing this yesterday, but regardless, it should not put newbies and RSPers off joining a club, we're not all svelte elites - I'm not, and I'm in a club - and the vast majority are not abuse-shouting pricks! hope it didn't ruin the day for anyone, well done on your runs yesterday, and don't let it make you think you're not 'fast' enough for a club. I bet most of the abuse-shouters in the world are people who have never run a step. Most runners understand we're all doing the thing we enjoy, just at different paces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Look. Forget it. Not trying to cause a fuss. I have no idea if they were a club runner or not. It was merely a story I heard from a few of the RSP gals. I just was trying to highlight the kind of obsticles us newbies often face.

When you make such outlandish statements like that you have to back it up. It has now changed from it actually happening to a story you heard. Ridiculous stuff really.

I find it extremely hard to believe that this happened and to me it looks like a little bit of a "throw the cat amongst the pigeons" scenario here.

In all my running and racing in Ireland I have never seen nor heard any new runners being discouraged at races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

eviltwin wrote: »
    I started running when I was 5st overweight. I had plenty of those comments from a-holes in the park or street so it doesn't surprise me. Surprised to hear about it at a proper event though.

Were those comments from other runners or general yobs in the park? I was 5 stone over weight when I started and pushing a buggy up bohernabreena hill, gasping and spluttering and I met runners who were seriously fit who encouraged me the whole time. One lovely lady walking her dog said she was from the club down at knocklyon (can't remember the name of it now) and she started running along beside me encouraging me on! There were two sisters who used to see me push passed my various markers as i got better and they used to woohoo at me :D

On here I made my first post in this forum about the mini marathon and dared to mention I did it in 1:14 mins and thought I'd be laughed out of the place...but it was exactly the opposite!

The only one time I ever got a negative comment was from a b*tch in the park last week who was walking her dog with her fella...I was coming the opposite way against a flipping houricane and I'd say I looked like a hamster on a wheel :D ...legs going but not getting anywhere...and yer one turns to her bloke and said 'I could do that' and they both laughed. Not meaning to be rude...but if she could do it...why wasn't she...anyhow she got in my head and I gave up and walked. I was more annoyed with myself than with her, she didn't know I'd just ran 13k in that wind!

Anyhow... I waffled on as per usual :D. But one final thing...I never heard anything negative shouted at anyone yesterday, though maybe I couldn't hear it over my own incessant flaming pep talks :D. But the atmosphere was so good and so positive I'm very surprised to hear people werw mocking runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Well managed another 5k today so was delighted with myself. Only stopped to walk once which was a big improvement for me. Still took the same amount of time but hopefully as I lose a bit of weight the speed will be a bit easier.
    Got to the gate of my house and had done 4.87km according to run keeper so had to turn around and run up and down the road again to get the 5 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I've run races all over the country from Wexford up to Donegal & not once in the few years i've been running have i heard anything derogatory or insulting mentioned at any of those races. Supporters at these races have been nothing but encouraging & supportive. I remember one such instance at a half marathon a few years ago, pacers verbally shouting a runner to his target and it worked and said runner was over the moon cause of the encouragement given

I find it hard to believe that a person was allowed to abuse & insult people at one of the most respected and well ran road races in the country, just dont buy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 yantz

Look guys maybe they were calling us names or maybe not, but we get the distinct impression that a lot of serious runners are out to make fun of #RSP. Like before the race there appeared to be several people taking photos of us at our meet up point and sniggering. That's why we aren't accepting new members to our page at the moment. Too many people out to make fun of us:(

• Advertisement

Look guys maybe they were calling us names or maybe not, but we get the distinct impression that a lot of serious runners are out to make fun of #RSP. Like before the race there appeared to be several people taking photos of us at our meet up point and sniggering. That's why we aren't accepting new members to our page at the moment. Too many people out to make fun of us:(

They were either calling ye names or not? Why make up stories like that taking place when they didnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭P_Fitz

One lovely lady walking her dog said she was from the club down at knocklyon (can't remember the name of it now) and she started running along beside me encouraging me on!

Bros. Pearse!

and you'd be very welcome anytime

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Started on coachto5k and now doing Ultras, throughout I've never experienced anything bad from people I've met at races. People have always been very supportive even when I've been banjaxed in races and walking and this has happened in half marathons, marathons and ultras.

The only negative comments I've ever received are from ejits on the street shouting "run forrest run" or something equallity imaginative.

I have alot of respect for people that do any distance at a "slower pace", at the end of the day its more time on your feet and more time to let yourself talk yourself out of the race.

Anytime I see anyone running thats anyway heavier, I always think fair f*cks to you. You've made the decision to get off the coach and go running and that takes alot of determination to even begin with.

I'm calling bs on this. Your posts are full of lies, contradictions, accusations and paranoia. First, there was a bloke calling you names, which seemed to make all runners who were faster than you elitist. Then he wasn't actually calling you anything, but maybe some other people in your group. Or maybe not. Maybe there was no bloke. Then people were looking at your group and taking photos in a condescending way ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Honest question: Why do you think people are out to make fun of the RSP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Callin ye names....Dats fockin nuthing...this is Wat goes down in kildare Wen u aren't running fast Enuf.......foto courtessy of p.m.

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Honest question: Why do you think people are out to make fun of the RSP?

Look, our FB page has been invaded by lots of trolls lately so it has got a lot of people on edge. Anyway that's the last I'll say on this for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

About a year ago was heckled on a crowed street in Cork. A young gentleman in his early 20's was having a conversation with his female friend. I passed them and he shouted "You have sexy legs and I want to f*** you!". I miss the days when I was called only fat cause that only motivated me to train more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Callin ye names....Dats fockin nuthing...this is Wat goes down in kildare Wen u aren't running fast Enuf.......foto courtessy of p.m.

Race directors take their role very seriously down there - feel lucky I got home in one piece looking at that :)

Jaysus having second thoughts about marshalling at Donadea 50k looking at that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

tang1 wrote: »
    Jaysus having second thoughts about marshalling at Donadea 50k looking at that!!

Just don't feel you have to 'encourage' the back markers in quite the same way :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Women shout at me all the time-
    "You're a ride' 'I want to have you're babies' 'you're a god' 'Please please marry me' etc
    But what can you do:pac:
    (actually it might be 'go away or I'll call the cops').

I hope no one was sniggering, but just in case this clears anything up, there were at least two Raheny Shamrock photographers, and two from the. Irish Runner and one from JTG and probably loads more, all out to capture the atmosphere, so people could have been perfectly innocently taking photos. You weren't the only beginners group there - a lot of The Lord Mayors Team are beginners, so I don't think any photographers would have found your group funny or unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Look, our FB page has been invaded by lots of trolls lately so it has got a lot of people on edge. Anyway that's the last I'll say on this for now.

Brilliant stuff. Hypocritical in so many ways.

So let me get this straight, no one actually called runners names/insulted? You made an accusation, were questioned about it, and finally came clean that you essentially made it up (or spread unfounded rumours). You then complain that your facebook site was invaded by trolls. Hmmmm.......:)

There's no one on here creating a divide between the 'elites'* like us and the likes of the runners on your page. I would perhaps look a bit closer to home.

*people who want to improve, not world champions/record holders/Olympic champions etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Women shout at me all the time-
    "You're a ride' 'I want to have you're babies' 'you're a god' 'Please please marry me' etc
    But what can you do:pac:
    (actually it might be 'go away or I'll call the cops').

Pmsl :D

No one ever comments on my legs :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There really have been people trolling the rsp page

That's a pity, but I have also seen loads of helpful advice from one of the younger, faster men from my club posted on your page. He's answered loads of queries in a really friendly way. Don't let a few trolls make you think everyone's out to get you. Most people are too busy doing things they enjoy (racing, volunteering, taking photos :) ) to be bothered making fun of others.

I think it's gas the way everyone who posts anything on the Internet that someone doesn't like is instantly labelled a troll. In actual fact, what Yantz did here today is actual, real trolling: accusations, made up stories, he said/she said, etc. and when questioned on it, he/she throws out more accusations, this time of a facebook being trolled. This is getting truly pathetic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You will also notice, that he can come on here, be critical, have discussion or whatever, no posts or threads get deleted and no one gets banned.

Another difference from what goes on over on facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

adrian522 wrote: »
    You will also notice, that he can come on here, be critical, have discussion or whatever, no posts or threads get deleted and no one gets banned.

Another difference from what goes on over on facebook.

From what I saw anyway it seems like people were being kicked out not for trolling but for just expressing a different point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Is Belcarra out for a run or is he going tossing silage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

The feeling I get is that RSP is censored so much that it is diluted down to a happy clappy version of reddit running. This will inevitably attract clowns and messers.

I'd join the page but there now seems to be an us versus them atmosphere that was only created by closing the page to new members.

Bizarre stuff with the heckler story were you trying to link that to a boardsie?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

I was a member for not too long about 18 months ago, and genuinely expressed the view that swapping numbers for the marathon was not allowed. Cue a tirade of abuse and a campaign to ban me , and a few particularly childish name calling posts . And so they did ban me after my one and only post. I wrote to the guy in charge not to protest but to merely say that they were banning someone who would have had a lot to offer runners . I got a bizarre reply , I thought I kept it for amusement purposes , but I can't find it. I did from time to time take a look at the stuff people were posting , and it is actually scary with medical advice , to just downright wrong information . So in the end I just stopped and sure it went private then. The bull story in this thread highlights why runners should avoid the page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

RSP is a terrible forum. It's the equivalent of having me going into a lecture hall of first year university students trying to teach them microeconomics based on my knowledge gained from getting a C on the same course the year before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

I think closing a forum like that is the equivalent of sheltering a kid with everything positive. One day, that kid is going to go out into the world with one view and no background to handle criticism or negativity. Negativity is a vital part of life and holds a lot of answers if you know how to interpret it. Too much positivity is just as bad as too much negativity. Balance is key and censorship only skews reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

PVincent, who posted above, is a coach whose defining characteristic is his positivity. He has got more people to get running, and to keep running, and to get running faster, than I could count. He is always encouraging people, always getting to to see the good elements of a bad run, and draw on the memory of the good runs when you need to. So if he is getting banned for negativity you really need to look at what is happening in the forum.

Anyway, you like the forum, you make friends there, that's all fine, I wouldn't try to persuade you to leave. But it is very limited, a lot of beginners and not a lot of experienced runners to give advice. (facebook is a terrible place for that anyway, new posts trump everything and there is no way to search) So you should broaden your horizons too. This forum has plenty of experienced runners and coaches, offering a lot of good advice and encouragement - and also some criticism, when someone is making mistakes in training or racing that will hold them back. And if you join a real club you will get all that advice and support, plus the chance to train with other people regularly, which is one of the best things you can do to improve your running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The feeling I get is that RSP is censored so much that it is diluted down to a happy clappy version of reddit running. This will inevitably attract clowns and messers.

I'd join the page but there now seems to be an us versus them atmosphere that was only created by closing the page to new members.

Bizarre stuff with the heckler story were you trying to link that to a boardsie?!

Sometimes the best advice a runner can get is to HTFU, but if you do that on the rsp page you get banned. No kidding.

And you know what, in a way that's okay, if someone wants a place where there is only positive feedback allowed then so be it. It sure isn't what I would be looking for, but everyone to their own.

PS, if the heckler story is correct then I do have a sneaking suspicion who it might have been, not that I have any actual knowledge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Facebook is a great place to post a picture of a cat and silly caption. It is completely useless a place for actually having a conversation about any topic at all or asking for advice on something that might require a two way chat between multiple people. It only works for one line hit and run comments, not for discussing training topics which require a back and forth conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

PS, if the heckler story is correct then I do have a sneaking suspicion who it might have been, not that I have any actual knowledge.

There was reference on some post(s) to an ex boardsie on a hill having a "go" at members of said group. Probably said in jest. Hopefully. ..

Who do you think it is then guys?

• Advertisement

Who do you think it is then guys?

Who do we think who is ? The person that may or may not have shouted at you, or your friends ? Or the people who were standing around near where you were standing in a sneering fashion, making judgements on you ?
    I will be reporting your posts for trolling if you keep this sh1t up.

I wish it could be cleared up whether there WAS a heckler or not -- if there was, that's awful and I feel really bad for anyone who was heckled, and really bad for all the volunteers who put on a really great race only to have it interfered with by someone being unpleasant.

If there WASN'T a heckler, I wish someone would come onto this thread and say so. I would hate this thread to come up if someone googles 'Raheny 5'; if the heckler story isn't true then it's really unfair to everyone who worked so hard on the race to have this big discussion about the awful things that supposedly happened there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Our club is hosting the next event in a cross country league in a couple of weeks. We are always trying to get more people out running the races, but many people from our slower training groups are scared of the idea of racing, or racing round a muddy field... so this week to encourage more of the runners from the slower groups to come along and take part we are doing a trial run around the course for those people to show them that it's really not that bad and then hopefully they will come along and race the following week.

What do the faster runners think of the slower runners? They think they are great and faster runners do everything they can to try and encourage more participation in the sport. Who is defined as a faster or slower runner though is entirely subjective and every single person who runs is both faster than someone else and slower than someone else... well apart from one person at the top of the pile, but they won't last there for long and will very soon be back to being slower than someone again.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I wish it could be cleared up whether there WAS a heckler or not -- if there was, that's awful and I feel really bad for anyone who was heckled, and really bad for all the volunteers who put on a really great race only to have it interfered with by someone being unpleasant.

If there WASN'T a heckler, I wish someone would come onto this thread and say so. I would hate this thread to come up if someone googles 'Raheny 5'; if the heckler story isn't true then it's really unfair to everyone who worked so hard on the race to have this big discussion about the awful things that supposedly happened there.

Ok. I'm so sorry. I've caused all this. I have to admit, I had only "heard" about the heckling from some other #RSP folk at the meet up spot after the race. I do think people in our group are a bit on edge lately over all the abuse we've been taking on the Internet. I in no way wanted to take away from the fantastic race Raheny put on. As I said in my log, I'd like to draw a line under all this.

I do find it offensive however that a poster has accused me of trolling.

Onwards and Upwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

HelenAnne wrote: »

Excellent post.
    FWIW There doesn't appear to be any discussion or comments about a heckler targeting RSP members on the RSP page itself which I am still a member of all be it not posting on it. I also ran the last 2 miles just behind (and then in front of :) ) a RSP shirt wearer and heard no abuse at all.

I do find it offensive however that a poster has accused me of trolling.

I assume that this is directed at me. I still think you are a troll. You came on here making baseless accusations and calling everyone elitist.
    I am reporting your posts now.

• Advertisement

I think we can conclude that nothing happened based on what I've seen on here, and that there is nothing over there regarding this either.

<mod>So based on that lets get back to the original topic which is essentially how to make new runners feel more welcome.</mod>

In answer to sillysocks’ original query, about what faster runners think of slower runners. From my own experience, faster runners have always been really nice and encouraging to me, both by just being friendly and saying ‘well done’ when I was a real beginner, and by encouraging me to push harder, try to stay with them, when I got a bit faster and fitter.
    Once I’d been running a while and new people started joining our group who were at a more beginner stage than me, I didn’t think anything in particular, really – I didn’t think they were any different to me. I’d encourage them and be pleased when they enjoyed running/racing, but I didn’t compare paces or anything – we were all just people out running.
    I’m impressed by the frontrunners in races, aware of the people of my own pace around me who I’ll be racing, and impressed by everyone who finishes behind me too. Anyway, no one should ever be sneery about someone finishing behind them – for all they know it could be a national-level runner coming back from injury, or a speedy woman just back from having a baby. I know in parkrun a woman told me a man came up to her after it one week to say he was delighted to beat her at last, not realising she was quite far along in her pregnancy :).
    When I first started running, I used to often see Dick Hooper training in Raheny. (I think he was training for the Malin-Mizen marathons). I knew who he was, but I was so happy to be out running and I didn’t think I should keep my head down in shame to be plodding past him or anything. I was at the ‘run to the next park bench, then walk a bit’ stage, but I was delighted with myself and felt like a runner, so I’d always give him a little wave as we passed each other. And he always waved back. If a three-time Olympian isn’t above nodding and waving at a very beginner beginner as he passes, then I think there’s no cause for ‘faster’ runners to be lording it over ‘slower’ ones. Happy running, everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

New runners are great, then they start passing you out :)

To give this some context , some of the younger runners in my group are starting to find their feet ! Might be putting me under pressure soon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its the older runners that upset me...
    People in their 40's, 50's and 60's passing me out in a race is awful upsetting :pac::pac:

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its the older runners that upset me...
    People in their 40's, 50's and 60's passing me out in a race is awful upsetting :pac::pac:

I like thinking 'That woman ahead of me is about 18 years younger than me -- I'll try to catch her :-)'

• Advertisement
Advertisement