Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

expensive ring

• 25-01-2015 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭

ok so basically,bought a ring for over a grand,clusters of diamonds,one tiny diamond has fallen out,ring is 7 months old.

jewellers response is,oohh you must be a hard wearer girl????
    other lady in shop says...u must have snagged it in something.

they have sent it off for a quote to get fixed.
    yet a watch i bought in same shop for 150 has a year warrenty.

any of ye thoughts on this?
    posting on behalf of partner.
    this happend this morning and this is where we are at with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

I don't think you have a leg to stand on, that's like bringing back a 7 month old car after you clip the wheel off something and expecting them to fix it.

the warranty with the watch is prob for the working parts in the watch itself

its insurance you need , not warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

no its not alike,if i clipped the wheel i would know i did and would not bring it back.
    my point is i am claiming the ring was faulty all along.
    the staffs attitude stinks also,re the way they spoke to my partner.

to knock a diamond out of a ring,you would be aware of it at the time.
    possibly have a mark or scratch on your hand,a bruise even.

we are certain that the diamond has fallen out,due to the ring being faulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Too late now as it's already been sent off to be fixed, but I would've brought the ring to another jeweller and asked them to check the setting, whether it's suitable for everyday wear or if it's too delicate etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You should have threatened to bring them to the small claims court, as the ring wasnt of merchantable quality, under the sale and supply of services act 1980. When you buy a ring, you expect the diamonds to last longer than 7 months in it. I know my mother cleans and does everything in her diamond rings and doesnt have any issues with it. See gets it cleaned and setting checked every few years.

http://thecai.ie/your-rights/your-rights/know-your-rights/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Op the chances are this was caused by wear and tear by the person wearing the ring. So how do you know that it was a fault in the ring that caused it to fall off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Bare in mind that with some rings are not designed for continous wear. The claws holding the stones in can catch in clothes, hair and gloves so can be lifted through wear and tear causing the stone to fall out. This is particularly a problem with gold which is a soft metal.

I suggest bring the ring to a independent jeweller and seeing what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭username000

When I got my engagement ring the the clasps holding the diamond loosened after a few months and we brought it back to the shop and they repaired it. Same thing happened again and they repaired it. Third time they completely rebuilt the clasp so it was much stronger and it hasnt happened since. The downside being that the lovely delicate ring I originally chose now looks less delicate and pretty but at least the diamond is safe.

Wasnt charged a penny for any of that btw.

thanks for the replies,will give an update when all is sorted.

so they fixed the ring,didnt charge anything.

Advertisement