Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Benoit

• 25-01-2015 2:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭

I'm just recently getting back into wrestling. Partly due to my enjoyment of the OTT shows and the recent availability of the WWE Network.

Just wondering what is your view of Chris Benoit?

On the Network his matches are still available but you can't search by his name. Any mention of him on any show is carefully removed from the summary even if he is in the main event.

Whenever I watch a match, no matter how into it I may get, I'm constantly brought back to what he did. It constantly taints the matches I've watched so far, so much so I may even start fast forwarding through them. I would like to know if people can separate what happened in reality to the character and can enjoy his matches.

I've no doubt this may have been brought up already but I've searched and could only find threads many years old.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

I really find it hard to watch his matches if it's a multi man I might but anything where he is the center of attention I can't enjoy at all but I wouldn't criticize those who do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Like BohsJohnny I wouldn't directly seek out one of his matches. My feelings have softened in past years were I can watch him in a match were is playing a secondary role. I don't think I could watch Royal Rumble 2004 or Wrestlemania XX (especially the post match with Daniel) for example.

I understand and advocate separating the art from the artist. But with Benoit to be honest I do judge people who are completely grand watching his matches. His WWE ring music is essentially the Wrestling version of this:

Then you have so many killer type allusions made towards his Wrestling persona. The camera focusing on his hands, Jim Ross or whomever's commentary playing into him being this cold hearted machine.

Then you have the whole head trauma craic which you are reminded about every time he violently lands on the back of his head doing German suplexes or on the front of his head doing the diving headbutt.

THEN I remember reading the Wrestling Observer I read Chris killed Daniel with more or less a Crippler Crossface choke. So yeah.

The level of compartmentalisation you have to do is pretty huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    I really find it hard to watch his matches if it's a multi man I might but anything where he is the center of attention I can't enjoy at all but I wouldn't criticize those who do.

I wouldn't judge criticize them myself either just wondering how?

I recently watched One Night Stand 05 and Joey Styles say's something like. Eddie has to tap or have his neck broken while in the crossface. An I was just thinking of the details from what happened, whether true or not and I was just thinking I'd rather not feel like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I don't really watch any past stuff but I have been in the situation where I've sat through a Benoit match. Didn't particularly enjoy it and the thought that any big bump he took was destroying his brain came up for sure. I know a lot of jokes are made and all but it really is a thin coping mechanism for the fact that the guy most of us thought of as the best technical wrestler ever would be that mental. The fascination with his son is super creepy though and not the kind of attention he deserves. When I see familiar names retweet him I just get chills tbh. How the murders didn't destroy wrestling on a mainstream level I'll never know. Feel super sorry for his son who wants to get into wrestling proper but will never be treated fairly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

rovert wrote: »

Then you have the whole head trauma craic which you are reminded about every time he violently lands on the back of his head doing German suplexes or on the front of his head doing the diving headbutt.

I recently saw that spot again where he dives through the ropes and takes a chairshot to the head mid-air. I cringed and looked away. Very very hard to watch that stuff after having seen the Nowinski documentary on concussions. Benoit took a ridiculous amount of chairshots to the head, often unprotected.

The autoposy on his brain showed it was in such a bad state that they were surprised how he was able to function at all.

• Advertisement

I don't really watch any past stuff but I have been in the situation where I've sat through a Benoit match. Didn't particularly enjoy it and the thought that any big bump he took was destroying his brain came up for sure. I know a lot of jokes are made and all but it really is a thin coping mechanism for the fact that the guy most of us thought of as the best technical wrestler ever would be that mental. The fascination with his son is super creepy though and not the kind of attention he deserves. When I see familiar names retweet him I just get chills tbh. How the murders didn't destroy wrestling on a mainstream level I'll never know. Feel super sorry for his son who wants to get into wrestling proper but will never be treated fairly.

I'll admit to being that dickhead who retweeted David Benoit's frankly delusional tweets. It was just a reaction to him doing stuff thinking and feeling his Dad was a hero. I know we cope in our own way, he is part of these extreme circumstances and he has an uncanny resemblance to Chris so I don't really blame him for his perspective being really skewed. Me being a bit of a prick about it and him is something I should rethink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

I don't think the big bumps or unprotected chairs shot where to blame. There's people on the indies who have taken much more.

I watched a Raw replay recently, Austin beating McMahon with the bedpan, trip down memory lane, and ICP take some pretty nasty unprotected chair shots on the card. I imagine they have taken quite a few on JCW.

Although, Nowinski, never even heard of him. Not being watching pro wrestling in awhile, will seek out this documentary. Also, never even knew his son wanted into pro wrestling, doubt he would make it but any documentary film maker should jump at following that story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'll admit to being that dickhead who retweeted David Benoit's frankly delusional tweets. It was just a reaction to him doing stuff thinking and feeling his Dad was a hero. I know we cope in our own way, he is part of these extreme circumstances and he has an uncanny resemblance to Chris so I don't really blame him for his perspective being really skewed. Me being a bit of a prick about it and him is something I should rethink.
    You weren't the first to pop into my mind tbh and I've made a few Benoit jokes myself so I'm just as bad but I'd feel guilty if he thought he'd made a fanbase for himself. The lad is just in an awful situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Chris Nowinski was on the first series of Tough Enough and then on Raw for a while around 2002-2003. He retired after a number of concussions and then went into researching head trauma. The documentary is called Head Games.

rizzla wrote: »
    I don't think the big bumps or unprotected chairs shot where to blame. There's people on the indies who have taken much more.

I know it is late and we are talking socially but please don't make absolute statements like this if you aren't a doctor or an expert.
    Tests conducted on Benoit's brain by Julian Bailes, the head of neurosurgery at West Virginia University, showed "Benoit's brain was so severely damaged it resembled the brain of an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient." Other tests conducted on Benoit's brain tissue revealed severe chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), and damage to all four lobes of the brain and brain stem. Bailes and his colleagues concluded that repeated concussions can lead to dementia, which can contribute to severe behavioral problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Benoit_double-murder_and_suicide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

I wouldn't search out Benoit's matches but I'd have no problem watching them if i was going through a good PPV like WM 20 or the 04 rumble that had multiple good matches. Some of the bumps and shots he took, were unnecessary such as the one Ageyev pointed out or knocking himself out in TLC 3.

There is no problem saying that his matches were great but it pales in comparison to the horrible actions he preformed that weekend in June 07. If people want or don't want to watch his matches that's fine but we still have to remember that he is a murderer and for that reason he'll should never get into the Hall of Fame.

On one smaller note; while I'm sure most of us are sane and level headed, does it piss anybody else off with the Benoit murder deniers and their Kevin Sullivan conspiracy stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Ageyev wrote: »
    Chris Nowinski was on the first series of Tough Enough and then on Raw for a while around 2002-2003. He retired after a number of concussions and then went into researching head trauma. The documentary is called Head Games.

I remember him taking a botched double missile dropkick from Edge and Rey in the 03 Rumble, with Edge landing on his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I understand and advocate separating the art from the artist. But with Benoit to be honest I do judge people who are completely grand watching his matches.

I must be in the minority here, but i find it easy to separate Chris Benoit the man and Chris Benoit the WWE star.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

foxerv1 wrote: »
    I must be in the minority here, but i find it easy to separate Chris Benoit the man and Chris Benoit the WWE star.

I do too. I understand why others have issues, but i don't mind a Chris Benoit match at all.

That said, I'm not about to put on my Chris Benoit tshirt (The one with the x-ray of a broken bone) that I still have in the closet and stroll around town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I can still watch his matches and enjoy them.

Yes, it was a horrible tragedy what he did but at end of the day, in ring Benoit was not real world Benoit and I appreciate what he did in ring.

IMO, its kinda like people saying they cant enjoy The Naked Gun movies because OJ Simpson is in them, nonsensical.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

But OJ was innocent.... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I have absolutely no problem watching a Chris Benoit match. I can separate the wrestler from the real man. The horrible unforgivable acts he made on that weekend doesn't stop those matches being classics. Yes, certain spots can be uncomfortable to watch now that we know what we know about head trauma, but this isn't exclusive to Benoit matches. Look at The Rock vs Mankind at the Rumble, or Danielson vs McGuinness at Unified, or hell almost every match in ECW. It's not exclusive to Benoit.

I completely understand and get why some folks can't watch his matches, that's 100% understandable and I'd never tell someone they're wrong for feeling that. But, I can't understand why someone can "judge a person who can watch a Chris Benoit" match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Medically I just don't believe a carefully orchestrated chairshot every few months could do that to your brain. You'd want to be the most punch drunk boxer to see that kind of damage. What nobody in wrestling wants to talk about is the mood changes and aggressiveness caused by steroids, which I reckon was a far likelier cause (plus probably some other underlying problem).
    It wouldn't stop me watching Benoit certainly. He was obviously mentally unwell. It's not like listening to a Gary Glitter album.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

IMO, its kinda like people saying they cant enjoy The Naked Gun movies because OJ Simpson is in them, nonsensical.

The big difference being and probably the only reason I find it difficult to watch his matches at times is with OJ you wouldnt have a commentator talking over the action in the movie constantly making references that given what has happened since are just eerie / creepy and hard not to associate with the Murders. When they talk about him being a crippler, cold hearted, methodical in his actions etc

I believe someone pointed it out but unlike OJ in his movie roles a lot of Benoits character and indeed his move set remind people of what came later. Locking in the crossface for instance (which apparently is very similar to the way his son died) and although the head trauma may not have been the only influencing factor it is very hard to see him doing the diving headbutt too. Perhaps that is the reason why I really don't like seeing anyone do that move, esp Bryan after all the injuries he has had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    It wouldn't stop me watching Benoit certainly. He was obviously mentally unwell. It's not like listening to a Gary Glitter album.

I'm sorry but that's the weirdest comparison I've ever seen on here for all that Glitter's done and he is a evil bastard he didn't kill his Wife and Child in cold blood.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that's the weirdest comparison I've ever seen on here for all that Glitter's done and he is a evil bastard he didn't kill his Wife and Child in cold blood.
    Benoit was mentally deranged. Glitter is just evil. I see a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think alot of people are overlooking Eddies death too and the impact it had on Benoit , Look at the interview with Benoit the Raw after Eddie died , I know Rey got all the sympathy and stuff on TV but I think it hit Benoit harder than any one else

And the chairshots definitly affected him bollocks to anyone who said it didn't

I completely understand and get why some folks can't watch his matches, that's 100% understandable and I'd never tell someone they're wrong for feeling that. But, I can't understand why someone can "judge a person who can watch a Chris Benoit" match.

Isn't it pretty easy? I don't know how you can compartmentalise the two. The sheer amount of stuff you have to overlook is unreal. I gave detailed reasons simply his whole persona is pretty murderous and there's too many reminders of what he did that day in his Wrestling appearances. Even adding to what I listed his trademark pose is him running his thumb across his neck! I mean come on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Isn't it pretty easy? I don't know how you can compartmentalise the two. The sheer amount of stuff you have to overlook is unreal. I gave detailed reasons simply his whole persona is pretty murderous and there's too many reminders of what he did that day in his Wrestling appearances. Even adding to what I listed his trademark pose is him running his thumb across his neck! I mean come on now.

But again, it still doesn't explain how you can "judge someone" who can watch a Benoit match and separate the man from the incident. I mean it's not like people are forgetting about what happened, or forgiving what happened, we can just view the match for what it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

But again, it still doesn't explain how you can "judge someone" who can watch a Benoit match and separate the man from the incident. I mean it's not like people are forgetting about what happened, or forgiving what happened, we can just view the match for what it is.

Yeah I'd agree with this despite saying almost word for word what Rovert did in my previous response. I find it hard to watch Benoit matches again for the reasons highlighted but if you can, good for you and I don't look at you in a negative light for that, I just don't think I could ever do the same.

It is Royal Rumble Sunday I don't want confrontation or aggro. Obviously not a happy subject.

As with anyone with the internet I am desensitised to a lot of stuff that I probably shouldn't be. But why/how could you be still interested in one of his matches when you are confronted by reminder after reminder of what he did? He's this "off" looking guy facially with this gross heavily roided up body. He's a walking reminder. What does it say about the person watching? "I've had my fun and that's all that matters". I just don't get the lack of thinking and/or caring you need to have to watch his matches.
    Yeah I'd agree with this despite saying almost word for word what Rovert did in my previous response. I find it hard to watch Benoit matches again for the reasons highlighted but if you can, good for you and I don't look at you in a negative light for that, I just don't think I could ever do the same.

Maybe I should have said "question" rather than "judge". Either way if someone I knew mentioned that they were watching Benoit matches no problem I'd definitely start with the "do I actually know you" type questions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

rizzla wrote: »
    I wouldn't judge criticize them myself either just wondering how?

I recently watched One Night Stand 05 and Joey Styles say's something like. Eddie has to tap or have his neck broken while in the crossface. An I was just thinking of the details from what happened, whether true or not and I was just thinking I'd rather not feel like this.
    The main thing I remember from that show, commentary wise, was during the Mike Awesome/Masato Tanaka match. Awesome did a suicide dive to the outside, and Styles said something along the lines of "And it's a shame he didn't take his own life!". I felt quite awful hearing that considering Awesome committed suicide less than 2 years after that.

Now, I've watched a few Benoit matches, and I've enjoyed them for their technicality. As others have said though, I wouldn't really be going out of my way to look for matches specifically involving him, it'd just be old PPVs I'd watch that happen to have him on the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i have always been completely indifferent to the guy even after what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Doesn't affect me either way watching him , Does that make me cold, I don't think so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was watching one of those movies recently and tbh I can't say I laugh at the moments he's in it. Don't know why that's 'nonsensical.' Would you be able to watch an episode of Jim'll Fix It and completely forget that the guy was such a monster?

Personally I would be in the camp that can't watch his matches back. I think it's because at the time of his death he was my favourite wrestler. The ending of WM 20 was probably my favourite moment in wrestling at the time. I must have watched it at least twenty times before what happened, but since the deaths I've not watched it once. It would be too sad.

I wouldn't judge anyone for being able to enjoy his matches. It's just something I can't do. The only people I do judge in a bad way are the types of people you see on Youtube leaving comments like, 'F*ck the WWE for not having Chris in the Hall of Fame.' It's as if these types of people can't grasp the gravity of what happened. There's no way he ever belongs in the Hall of Fame imo.

I do think the last moments of his life were the moments of a severely mentally ill man. That tempers my disgust to a certain degree because I don't think the guy who did what he did was the same man of even a few years beforehand. I sometimes see comments calling him a piece of sh*t and stuff. I understand the anger but I think it's more complex than that reaction warrants. It's just an awful, awful tragedy.

Chris Nowinski was on Jericho's podcast discussing the events and it's interesting to listen to for those that haven't heard it:

Advertisement