Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patricks school & Charlesland?

Options
  • 25-01-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi all
    Does anyone living in Charlesland have a child in St. Patricks?

We've been told that Charlesland is in Delgany parish and we should apply there.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Serrano13

Charlesland is definitely in the catchment area for Delgany NS. First priority goes to Christchurch Delgany Parishioners living in the catchment.

Both St Patrick's and Delgany NS are oversubscribed, as are all schools in the area. If your child is baptised CoI, you will be in the priority category for DNS and probably category 2 for St Patrick's.

If not baptised CoI, there's very little chance of getting a place in either school.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Serrano13 wrote: »

If not baptised CoI, there's very little chance of getting a place in either school.

You'll be down the list but there's still a chance of getting in, there are loads of non-CoI kids in St. Patrick's.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JandS

loyatemu wrote: »
    You'll be down the list but there's still a chance of getting in, there are loads of non-CoI kids in St. Patrick's.

Thanks. We are being told we are category 5 ( whatever that is) for Patrick's as we are CoI but not living within the parish.

JandS wrote: »
    Thanks. We are being told we are category 5 ( whatever that is) for Patrick's as we are CoI but not living within the parish.

enrolment policy is on the website: http://www.stpns.ie/files/ENROLMENT.policy.2014.ratified-by-the-BOM.300914.pdf

categories 1,2 & 3 are all more or less the same thing so its effectively:
    1) Greystones CoI
    2) Greystones other non-catholic christians
    3) non-Greystones CoI
    4) anyone else.

there are Catholic & non-christian kids in the school so it is worth applying even if you're not in the first couple of categories. It probably depends on the demographics in the year you're applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JandS

hi

My post is not regarding religion. Our daughter is COI.

My post is regarding Charlesland being in Delgany parish instead of Greystones, this was our biggest surprise.

This means we're category 5:

(5) children who are members of the Church of Ireland or whose parents or either of
    whose parents are members of the Church of Ireland and whose homes are situated
    outside the Parish of Greystones;

So I'm wondering if any parents in Charlesland managed to enrol their children in STPNS without much trouble.

Thanks

• Advertisement

hi

My post is not regarding religion. Our daughter is COI.

My post is regarding Charlesland being in Delgany parish instead of Greystones, this was our biggest surprise.

This means we're category 5:

(5) children who are members of the Church of Ireland or whose parents or either of
    whose parents are members of the Church of Ireland and whose homes are situated
    outside the Parish of Greystones;

So I'm wondering if any parents in Charlesland managed to enrol their children in STPNS without much trouble.

Thanks

my point was that there are kids from the category below yours in the school so you should have a chance. I have 3 kids in the school and they have friends living in Charlesland, Eden Gate and Kilcoole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

My post is regarding Charlesland being in Delgany parish instead of Greystones, this was our biggest surprise
    It goes back to the times when the La Touche family owned nearly all the land in the area. They were based at Bellevue House, situated between the two main villages; Delgany and Downs. Greystones was only a few fisherman's cottages at the time.
    But when the Whitshed family at Killincarrick House decided to lay out a new town at Greystones, La Touche donated some land for a second church to be built there. All the surrounding areas still remained with Delgany church though.

In the modern secular world, Charlesland is a part of the Greystones/Delgany municipal area. Anything to the east of the Lower Kindlestown road going from Blacklion towards Killincarrig roundabout and Kilcoole is considered Greystones, not Delgany. And some estates west of it too.
    Here's an interesting article by the Humanists in the Irish Times recently BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Newcomers1

Yes you are catagory 5 as Charlesland is in Delgany parish. The parish boundaries for St Patrick's are very small (as recidite has said). Did the school tell you to apply to Delgany N.S. or someone else? Could you apply to both and ask to go on St Patrick's waiting list? As loyatemu said, there are many children of catagory 5 and lower in the school. The Principal is very helpful and I'm sure would help you out if you rang for a chat? Our little one will be starting in St Patrick's this September, we live in Charlesland but are parishioners of St. Patrick's church and attend service there. We are also criteria one as our children were baptised in St. Patrick's.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

We applied to both Delgany National School and St Patrick's. The kids got accepted into DNS as Charlesland is in the Delgany catchment area. DNS is a fantastic school with a great reputation. I would say, however, that it is increasingly difficult to get places in both schools. You need to be an active participant of the parish to get guaranteed a place. That includes regular attendance of the church etc. Our kids were baptised in the Presbyterian church and are Protestant, but we were lucky that places weren't so difficult to get a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girl24

Op is it for this sept your applying? I have done the intention to apply for my son for sept 2016 and was told an actual application form would be sent the year before( so soon I presume)but haven't received anything yet. We were never told Charlesland wasn't in catchment area, we have applied to both DNS and St Patricks.

• Advertisement

Hi Girl24, the application forms for both schools are usually sent out around October/November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girl24

Hi Girl24, the application forms for both schools are usually sent out around October/November.

Thanks

Have just seen on Facebook that there is to be a new school in Charlesland opening in September. Should ease the pressure on the existing schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Have just seen on Facebook that there is to be a new school in Charlesland opening in September. Should ease the pressure on the existing schools.

Maybe in Charlesland :-)! its location in Greystones hasn't been confirmed yet.

http://stephendonnelly.ie/a-new-school-for-greystones/
    http://education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2015-Press-Releases/PR15-02-05.html

It has to be at the southern end of the town, that's where virtually all the growth has been in recent years and will continue to be.

Aha, let the battle commence for patronage control...

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Jimjay wrote: »

Indeed. Stephen Donnelly seems to think it will be in Charlesland. Simon Harris hopes and expects it will be.

http://www.simonharris.ie/?p=3623

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

So where else other than Charlesland has education zoning?

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    So where else other than Charlesland has education zoning?

the council had previously offered their depot site near the park and ride to St Brigids, so I guess that might be an option. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't turn out to be Charlesland though. I'd imagine the patronage will go to Educate Together or Kildare/Wicklow ETB, there's not much appetite for new catholic primary schools and there is already 2 COI in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zoe zebra

Wasn't there zoning for a new school, garda station and recycling centre near Jackie Skellys?

• Advertisement

the site for a school is behind the big creche beside Superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

the council had previously offered their depot site near the park and ride to St Brigids, so I guess that might be an option. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't turn out to be Charlesland though. I'd imagine the patronage will go to Educate Together or Kildare/Wicklow ETB, there's not much appetite for new catholic primary schools and there is already 2 COI in the area.

I wonder will people go CoI because of Templecarrig

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

the site for a school is behind the big creche beside Superquinn.

Is it not the other side of the road up from Seabourne view?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

there was a thread about it when the Brigid's move was being discussed, I was fairly sure it was the triangular site immediately behind Charlesland Grove, but I could be wrong.

You lot are all describing the same location :)
    The next vacant space on the right after Superquinn and the creche, going up towards Eden Gate direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

To concur with what Loyatemu mentioned, I remember it being planned for beside Puroga. The other side was ear-marked for a retail park so we didn't have to go Bray for a new washing machine! There was also to be a fancy pedestrian bridge crossing from the farm building location to the retail park.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

Planning permission for the area says the school will go where the farm shed is currently standing taking up all that lad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

How do I access the planning permission information ?

I am not one bit happy about this school being built behind my house and thus blocking the light coming into my garden. Not to mention listening to several screaming children

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

swingking wrote: »
    How do I access the planning permission information ?

I am not one bit happy about this school being built behind my house and thus blocking the light coming into my garden. Not to mention listening to several screaming children

You can get to it on Wicklow.ie

The school was always intended to be built there it was shown on the plans for Charlesland along with the shopping complex which was also never built. The recession hit befor they could get the loans to continue

• Advertisement

swingking wrote: »
    Not to mention listening to several screaming children

Try several hundred screaming children. The land has been zoned for a schools for years - since Charlesland itself was zoned probably. I wouldn't imagine objecting to the planning will get you very far.

Advertisement