Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircraft contrail photography

• 25-01-2015 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

does anybody out there do aircraft contrail photography? . Photographing aircraft at altitudes of over 30,000ft. If so what type of zoom lens is required?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

I do a bit of Contrail shooting, I use a Sigma 150-500 at the moment and get shots like this one at 37000ft...

14266746838_e10cb0dbd7_b.jpgA6-EFK Emirates SkyCargo Boeing 777-F1H by Lucan Snapper, on Flickr

However I used to have a good 70-300mm which gave me this kind of result at 32000ft..

6889263610_6637dcbfef_b.jpgG-VFIT - Airbus A340-642 - Virgin Atlantic by Lucan Snapper, on Flickr

If your looking to shoot high fliers the longer the lens the better, however stay well clear of the cheaper kind from unknown brands you see on ebay or the like....

• Registered Users Posts: 34 liammccarthy

Thanks for your reply and photos, the Emirates looks good.so does the Virgin . What settings do you set your camera?

What settings do you set your camera?

If you click on either photo you can see what settings were used... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭protog777

Why are the photos so dark?

I am thinking about getting a Tamron 150-600 lens, you'r opinion?

• Advertisement

I am thinking about getting a Tamron 150-600 lens, you'r opinion?

A friend of mine has the Tamron and is very happy with it, however some people have complained that some of them give ''soft'' results at the upper end.

Here's one of my friends shots with the 150-600mm.... https://flic.kr/p/pBzT9B

protog777 wrote: »
    Why are the photos so dark?

I prefer the darker shots to bring out the detail on the aircraft/contrail...

Happy with those photos ,just what I would be looking for. Thanks. I have a nikon D3200. Any other info would be great. Thanks.

Advertisement