Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asking a friend out

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Bpmull wrote: »
    Actually asking her is not the issue. It's just that I know her parents so well too and get on quite well with them. But I have a bad feeling that if she did say no she would eventually tell her parents I had asked her and the whole thing could get awkward fast. Would be so much easier if I just didn't know any of her family at all.

But either way I do really need to ask and have no regrets I can live with a no it's not as if I'm in a better position now anyway.

Forget about the parents Bpmull, if things go tits up and they do find out, they arent going to think you were just asking her for the crack(pun kind of intended).

Just do it and it will all work out for the best.(Oh and call your first kid after me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

deco nate wrote: »
    B's, how?! At least he would know were he stands. They will still be friends. Just friends that know were they stand. Better to know than years later thinking.. What if?.

Very small minded, childish to think otherwise, imo

His whole family could die if he asks her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

What ever came of this? Are they married yet or did she laugh at him and say no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Aww I got excited when I saw this updated!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Aaahhh I have gone through 11 pages and still nothing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Bit of a bottle job from the OP imo, pluck up the courage and do it, come on man.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

Has he tried singing "living next door to Alice" yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Bit of a bottle job from the OP imo, pluck up the courage and do it, come on man.

I'm working on it. I didn't realise how much it means to everyone on here :) I won't be the only one disappointed if she says no :pac: ah no in fairness for all the help you've given me it can't end like this I need to ask her it's just proving a lot more difficult to do than it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Damn I was hoping for a good update when I saw this had been updated! it's okay OP all in your own time...

also +1 sing "livin' next door to Alice" ! has to work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

I'm working on it. I didn't realise how much it means to everyone on here :) I won't be the only one disappointed if she says no :pac: ah no in fairness for all the help you've given me it can't end like this I need to ask her it's just proving a lot more difficult to do than it sounds.

She'll be married with kids by the time you get around to it!

h2005 wrote: »
    She'll be married with kids by the time you get around to it!

Hopefully not its not been that long since this thread started. Will be a lot easier to do it coming into the summer when we are both off college although im hoping to have asked before then. I feel bad for not having asked yet but you can't rush it I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Longer you leave it, she'll either end up getting with someone else or if she does like you, she may just end up moving on to someone else out of frustration. Rushing shouldn't be an issue as there is never going to be an ideal moment to ask her, either ask her and get it done with or don't bother and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

Hopefully not its not been that long since this thread started. Will be a lot easier to do it coming into the summer when we are both off college although im hoping to have asked before then. I feel bad for not having asked yet but you can't rush it I suppose.

The way you're talking, your going to end up classic case of of "living next door to alice" if ever there was one.

I would'nt hang around if I were you, or she'll be occupied elsewhere before you know it.

It happens in a flash.

Trying something worthwhile won't cause any regrets . . . not doing it will. Go for it !

You don't want to be singing this in a few years . . . . :)

Sally called when she got the word,
    She said: "I suppose you've heard -
    About Alice".
    Well I rushed to the window,
    And I looked outside,
    But I could hardly believe my eyes -
    As a big limousine rolled up
    Into Alice's drive...

Oh, I don't know why she's leaving,
    Or where she's gonna go,
    I guess she's got her reasons,
    But I just don't want to know,
    Cause for twenty-four years
    I've been living next door to Alice.

Twenty-four years just waiting for a chance,
    To tell her how I'm feeling, maybe get a second glance,
    Now I've got to get used to not living next door to Alice...

Grew up together,
    Two kids in the park,
    Carved our initials,
    Deep in the bark,
    Me and Alice.
    Now she walks through the door,
    With her head held high,
    Just for a moment, I caught her eye,
    As a big limousine pulled slowly
    Out of Alice's drive.

Or where she's gonna go,

Now I gotta get used to not living next door to Alice...

Sally called back, asked how I felt,
    She said: "I know how to help -
    Get over Alice".
    She said: "Now Alice is gone,
    But I'm still here,
    You know I've been waiting
    For twenty-four years... "
    And the big limousine disappeared...

I don't know why she's leaving,
    Or where she's gonna go,

To tell her how I feel, and maybe get a second glance,
    But I'll never get used to not living next door to Alice...

Now I'll never get used to not living next door to Alice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

don't ask anything man! try to maneuver yourself into a (after a few pints) position when it can happen naturally.. don't make a big deal about it even if she's mad about you she won't go for it then.. women are mad, play it cool always!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Tsipras wrote: »
    don't ask anything man! try to maneuver yourself into a (after a few pints) position when it can happen naturally.. don't make a big deal about it even if she's mad about you she won't go for it then.. women are mad, play it cool always!

I agree... as a woman.

Edit: He don't drink though... Fu(k sh!t is difficult when you don't drink #LIFE

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

Cen taurus wrote: »
    The way you're talking, your going to end up classic case of of "living next door to alice" if ever there was one.

I would'nt hang around if I were you, or she'll be occupied elsewhere before you know it.

It happens in a flash.

Trying something worthwhile won't cause any regrets . . . not doing it will. Go for it !

You don't want to be singing this in a few years . . . . :)

Sally called when she got the word,
    She said: "I suppose you've heard -
    About Alice".
    Well I rushed to the window,
    And I looked outside,
    But I could hardly believe my eyes -
    As a big limousine rolled up
    Into Alice's drive...

Or where she's gonna go,

Now I've got to get used to not living next door to Alice...

Grew up together,
    Two kids in the park,
    Carved our initials,
    Deep in the bark,
    Me and Alice.
    Now she walks through the door,
    With her head held high,
    Just for a moment, I caught her eye,
    As a big limousine pulled slowly
    Out of Alice's drive.

Or where she's gonna go,

Now I gotta get used to not living next door to Alice...

Sally called back, asked how I felt,
    She said: "I know how to help -
    Get over Alice".
    She said: "Now Alice is gone,
    But I'm still here,
    You know I've been waiting
    For twenty-four years... "
    And the big limousine disappeared...

I don't know why she's leaving,
    Or where she's gonna go,

To tell her how I feel, and maybe get a second glance,
    But I'll never get used to not living next door to Alice...

Now I'll never get used to not living next door to Alice...

ALICE!!! WHO THE FUCK IS ALICE???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Don't do the usual Irish thing of getting monumentally drunk before wandering over to her like a zombie having a fit. And then asking her for 'the ride' while a thin line of drool seeps slowly out of the corner of your mouth.

Be confident without being cocky. Don't dress like you got dressed in the dark. Get a haircut and wear a decent pair of shoes. Listen to what they have to say and take it on board. If you have the gift of humour then use it. If you don't then don't think that using really awful chat-up lines are going to do the trick.

Don't do the usual Irish thing of getting monumentally drunk before wandering over to her like a zombie having a fit. And then asking her for 'the ride' while a thin line of drool seeps slowly out of the corner of your mouth.

Be confident without being cocky. Don't dress like you got dressed in the dark. Get a haircut and wear a decent pair of shoes. Listen to what they have to say and take it on board. If you have the gift of humour then use it. If you don't then don't think that using really awful chat-up lines are going to do the trick.

I don't drink so the first part won't be an issue. I haven't seen her in a good while. But I still do plan on asking. I just kind of wish I didn't know her parents and siblings so well. It's grand if I ask her and she doesn't tell them. But if she does tell them and said no it will be a bit of a giant mess. I am probably really overthinking this. But then it's very hard to know what way she will react.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I don't drink so the first part won't be an issue. I haven't seen her in a good while. But I still do plan on asking. I just kind of wish I didn't know her parents and siblings so well. It's grand if I ask her and she doesn't tell them. But if she does tell them and said no it will be a bit of a giant mess. I am probably really overthinking this. But then it's very hard to know what way she will react.

I dunno, think you should just say - "Do you wanna go halves on a bastard?"

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

You are definately are overthinking this. I very much doubt there would be any 'giant mess' unless there's some mad stuff about her family you haven't mentioned.

I'm not that old but I remember being your age and how daunting it can seem to ask out a girl you really like. I have the benefit of hindsight to fall back on, so just take a deep breath and do it before she get's a boyfriend. If that happenned you'd be absolutely sick.

She's probably had plenty of offers of going out for a drink or meeting in a pub, I'd suggest asking her out for dinner or going for lunch to set yourself apart from the usual drunk/drink related stuff.

That was a killer to type on my phone but I remember what it was like. Just go for it and the best of luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

This thread is like game of thrones, no end game to be found

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Way way WAY overthinking.
    Worst case scenario :
    She says no but she'll be quietly flattered. If she tells her parents she said no they'll have been refused or rebuffed at some point themselves and they'l have the decorum to just never mention it again. They also won't care that much. If she says yes then great everyone's happy, if she says no you'll be smarting &embarrassed for a little while but you won't be a blip on her radar and she won't be advertising it. She'll be thinking about and talking to her friends and family about who she is into, not who she's not into.

I'm presuming you don't live in a slap stick cheap tv comedy of course here, but imagining you live in the real world the above is as bad as it'll get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

This still hasn't fuking happened? Jesus Christ, I'm starting to hope she ends up getting with someone else at this stage to teach you a needed lesson OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

What's her number, Bp? I'll tell her you like her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Will you shift my friend??

So has anything happened with this yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

ALICE!!! WHO THE FUCK IS ALICE???

I thought this was in the lyrics for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

Just start dressing like a Peaky Blinder and acting like Thomas Shelby, the rest will work itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

I’ve just read through all of this to be confronted with disappointment..Any chance of an update?

Turns out she was a lesbian and is now married to his sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Normally we'd just delete the posts that resurrected a zombie thread but for this one I must mention that the OP has closed their account so their will be no update.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement