Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive connected to TV

• 25-01-2015 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I have a Seagate 2TB hard drive with loads of movies/TV on it and connect it directly to my TV via a USB port. The TV is a smart one, so there is a pretty decent user interface for navigating the content. My question is whether it is ok (advisable) to leave the drive constantly plugged into the TV (and just switching the TV on and off as usual) or should I continue to use the TV's function for "disconnecting" the USB device (like you do before unplugging a device from your laptop) and physically unplugging the drive before switching off the TV?

Any advise appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would tend to use the safe removal option in the TV but not bother physically unplugging, and turn off the TV ........ is the HDD powered by the USB from the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Thanks for reply. No, the hard drive is plugged into mains (it isn't bus powered).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

If the drive is used only to read from then I do not see the point of safely removing with the TV function. If the drive is being written to then that would be a different story as you could introduce corruption. So if it's only for watching movies from then I wouldn't bother.

Advertisement