Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EFL in Vietnam???

• 25-01-2015 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    As the thread title states I'm wondering if anybody here has any experience/knowledge of teaching english as a foreign language in Vietnam.

My situation. I'm not a qualified teacher. I do have a BA and an MA.
    The situation in some countries seems to be that a degree in anything will suffice to get a teaching job.
    Is this the deal in Vietnam?
    If not I'll do a CELTA course in Feb or March.

I've holidayed in Vietnam twice so I have a little knowledge regarding the lay of the land. A year in Hanoi sounds like an appealing option.

One final query, would a CELT make any difference as opposed to CELTA. I know CELTA is awarded from Cambridge so would it make life easier to obtain employment with that. CELT is a few hundred cheaper.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭CiboC

The CELT and CELTA courses are equivalent, the CELT certificate is issued by the Irish Department of Education so has the 'prestige' of being a certificate issued by a government body. It is also quite a bit cheaper than the CELTA course.

Recognition of both certificates is good abroad. There a fewer and fewer countries where you can rock up without any qualifications and expect to teach EFL, it used to be the case in Asia but is getting less so every year. If you do not have any EFL training you will probably find either the CELTA or CELT course extremely useful anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

CiboC wrote: »

Recognition of both certificates is good abroad..

In Asia, the recognition is still not great.

If you are thinking about doing teaching long term then definitely get the CELTA. But if it's only for a short period, then the CELT will do but be prepared to have to explain to people what it is and possibly have them be wary of the explanation.

Advertisement