Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Miracle of Baking Soda

• 25-01-2015 2:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭

So this might be common knowledge to many here but its been a revelation to me. The best to way to clean yourself is to use baking soda. A couple of dabs under your armpits, between your toes, and your body odour is gone. I've stopped using soap, body wash and deodorant. They're just rip off products that damage your skin and poison your body.

I've also stopped using shampoo and my hair has become softer and thicker.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jdmsupra

Mike747 wrote: »
    So this might be common knowledge to many here but its been a revelation to me. The best to way to clean yourself is to use baking soda. A couple of dabs under your armpits, between your toes, and your body odour is gone. I've stopped using soap, body wash and deodorant. They're just rip off products that damage your skin and poison your body.

I've also stopped using shampoo and my hair has become softer and thicker.

Haha i see somone reads roosh v and returnofthekings , nice to see another intelligent man ( im only 17 lol )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Don't know about the above but apparently it's good for the aul teeth whitening. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Likes a bit of soda bread so I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

So, if using bread soda as a deodorant, how do you apply it? As a paste? In powder form?

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jdmsupra wrote: »
    Haha i see somone reads roosh v and returnofthekings , nice to see another intelligent man ( im only 17 lol )
    Baking soda used in this context has long been known, long before those you mention and the last part of your post might be open to debate on a few levels, especially considering those you mention...(though kudos if you actually have a JDM Supra, though at 17...).

The problem with baking soda is that it's an alkaloid, but the skin's natural PH is acidic. No doubt it works by altering the PH enough to kill off those acid loving bacteria that cause BO, but longterm I can't see it being good for the skin flora. Then again, these days we pummel said natural flora to feck, both from soaps and various unctions we apply, never mind the diet we ingest that affects the natural skin biota.

IMH if you find your skin starts to stink beyond certain levels, I'd suggest looking inwardly at overall health, rather than covering it up with yet more band aids. Though as a band aid one could argue that baking soda is way down the list of bad crap we can cover ourselves with.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Works great for smelly shoes alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

Jdmsupra wrote: »

You wont find too much intelligent conversation on there. It's a cesspit of the worst kind of men's movement that gives the rest of it a bad name.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually I've read quite a bit of intelligent stuff on the forum(stuff outside the "women be bitches" subject), but there is an awful lot of drivel alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    So, if using bread soda as a deodorant, how do you apply it? As a paste? In powder form?

I take a shower (with no soap or bodywash) and take a couple of dabs of baking soda and rub it into my pits and any where else I need it and that's it. You'll be clean and fresh for at least two days.

When I wash my hair I just scrub it with hot water (as you would with shampo) and I'm done. It's crazy when you think about it, men use shampoo to take the grease out of their hair and then use gel to put the grease back in!

You can also use it to whiten your teeth but you have to be careful as it could damage the enamel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

Wibbs wrote: »
    Baking soda used in this context has long been known, long before those you mention and the last part of your post might be open to debate on a few levels, especially considering those you mention...(though kudos if you actually have a JDM Supra, though at 17...).

The problem with baking soda is that it's an alkaloid, but the skin's natural PH is acidic. No doubt it works by altering the PH enough to kill off those acid loving bacteria that cause BO, but longterm I can't see it being good for the skin flora. Then again, these days we pummel said natural flora to feck, both from soaps and various unctions we apply, never mind the diet we ingest that affects the natural skin biota.

IMH if you find your skin starts to stink beyond certain levels, I'd suggest looking inwardly at overall health, rather than covering it up with yet more band aids. Though as a band aid one could argue that baking soda is way down the list of bad crap we can cover ourselves with.

I take your points on board. Certainly if you use baking soda to wash your hair you need to condition it with apple cider vinegar or you'll destroy it in the long term. Disagree with it being a band aid since you're actually getting rid of the smell of sweat. Lynx is a band aid because you're just covering up the problem rather than dealing with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Tbh I found that it doesn't eradicate sweat stains on shirts. It makes a slight impact but doesn't remove the stain completely. Investing in a vest would probably benefit you more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Wouldn't use it for teeth whitening, very abrasive, so you're likely to wear away enamel.

I've tried using this stuff for deodorant, but it doesn't seem to work very well; I use coconut oil mixed with zinc-oxide myself (1 part CO, 4 parts ZO), which is very cheap, and works pretty well (no sweat stains either, generally).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've also stopped using shampoo - haven't used it in about 2 years. I brush my hair vigorously with a Boar Bristle brush everyday and wash a few times a week with warm water only.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Aidric wrote: »
    Tbh I found that it doesn't eradicate sweat stains on shirts. It makes a slight impact but doesn't remove the stain completely. Investing in a vest would probably benefit you more.

InVESTing in a vest. Fnar Fnar

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I use it to clean my sink, also used with vinegar is a great household cleaner,

I even use it in baking!

Anyone know where I can buy a kg bag instead of the small bags in tesco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can buy a kg bag instead of the small bags in tesco?

They sell it in 25kg bags here. Overkill for the reasons you use it, I'd say. Maybe try a lab supplies place. It will be labelled as sodium bicarbonate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

A drop of olive oil can be very good for patches of dry skin too. It can be used as a moisturiser but use a little or you'll be shiny.

Advertisement