Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for wiring oven and hob to single wire

Options
  • 25-01-2015 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm replacing a freestanding cooker with a separate oven and hob. I believe there is only one wire/electrical cable for the freestanding cooker. Is it possible to wire he oven and hob together and then wire the two into the existing point?

What should this cost me roughly as I'm presuming i'll need an Electrician to do it?

Jon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

jon1981 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm replacing a freestanding cooker with a separate oven and hob. I believe there is only one wire/electrical cable for the freestanding cooker. Is it possible to wire he oven and hob together and then wire the two into the existing point?

What should this cost me roughly as I'm presuming i'll need an Electrician to do it?

Jon

It's possible to do this but isn't the correct way to do it. Is there a cooker switch there for the old cooker. This is a legal requirement. Do you know the cable size that is there at the moment and if it wil be big enough for the new hob? I think you should definitely get an electrician to have a look at this with the expectation that new cables will need to be run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

thanks for replying.

There is a cooker switch there, it's my mothers house so i'm not there to check the type of cable. When you mention new cable being run, can this be split from existing junction or would this be running brand new cable through the walls from the switch board ?

thanks for replying.

There is a cooker switch there, it's my mothers house so i'm not there to check the type of cable. When you mention new cable being run, can this be split from existing junction or would this be running brand new cable through the walls from the switch board ?

Brand new cable would be the best way to do it if possible.

Hmm, will have to take a closer look at this, freestanding cooker might be the easier less expensive approach.

Hmm, will have to take a closer look at this, freestanding cooker might be the easier less expensive approach.

It might be. You just need to make sure the old cable is big enough to handle the new cooker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

aido79 wrote: »
    It's possible to do this but isn't the correct way to do it. Is there a cooker switch there for the old cooker. This is a legal requirement. Do you know the cable size that is there at the moment and if it wil be big enough for the new hob? I think you should definitely get an electrician to have a look at this with the expectation that new cables will need to be run.

Just curious re "It's possible to do this but isn't the correct way to do it"
    Whats the correct way to wire a elec hob and elec cooker: am aware of the need for the cooker switch and a big enough cable.
    Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Just curious re "It's possible to do this but isn't the correct way to do it"
    Whats the correct way to wire a elec hob and elec cooker: am aware of the need for the cooker switch and a big enough cable.
    Thanks

The oven generally comes with a plug so a separate socket is usually wired for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

aido79 wrote: »
    The oven generally comes with a plug so a separate socket is usually wired for it.

Not necessarily. That depends on the load of the oven (the actual load and not the "total connected load" which can't necessarily be energised simultaneously).

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

If theres 6sq cable from the isolation s/w why cant ya just wire this into a junction box and then from junction box to both oven and hob then?

If theres 6sq cable from the isolation s/w why cant ya just wire this into a junction box and then from junction box to both oven and hob then?

• Advertisement

Actually, would something like this work? any drawback to this approach?

http://www.alertelectrical.com/prod/1022/click-45a-dual-cooker-outlet-plate-prw217#desc

2_373.jpg
    2_374.jpg

What do people make of the junction box idea attached above?

It will work fine. I'm not really up to date with domestic regulations but can't see the difference between that kind of setup and a free standing cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It's not a junction box per se - it is a cooker connection unit, which is specifically designed for connecting cookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

ET 101 page 306:

Annex 55A 3.3 Cooker circuits

b) Separate ovens and hobs

Where the oven and hob are separate appliances, a common supply and isolator may be used provided it is within 2m of each appliance.
    In such cases, it should be ensured that each part of the circuit complies with the fault loop impedance value for the overcurrent device, e.g. 1.44 ohms max for a 32amp MCB

Ok so my switch is 60 cm from where the cooker and job will be. Does this mean I cant use this one cable to power the hob and oven?

Edit: read that wrong, within in two metres. Ok so once the hob and oven dont exceed the impedence of the circuit then this is fine ?

Advertisement