Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Synology Questions

Options
  • 25-01-2015 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I've just set up my DS414 from Synology. This is my first time using a NAS.

I've two questions which I'm hoping some of ye will be able to help me with.

1. I want to be able to sync a photo folder on an external hard drive with my NAS.

I basically add photos/vidoes to this drive every few days and I would like to know is it possible for things to auto backup to my NAS from this Hard drive - without having to manually do it?

2. The connection speed over LAN is fine, but when I used quickconnect to bring up my files in a mates house, the speed was terrible. He has faster WiFi than I have and the speed was really slow to even load up home screen. I tried the speed out using the quickconnect feature when I was back home and the speed was fine - so I don't know if it was his connection or if the speed was affected once I was out of LAN range?

No idea really, but any help would be great for these two questions :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Saving files from a friend's house will be affected by your download and your friend's upload speed. So if he has 20Mbps upload and you have 10Mbps download, the Mac speed would be 10Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Mr. G wrote: »
    Saving files from a friend's house will be affected by your download and your friend's upload speed. So if he has 20Mbps upload and you have 10Mbps download, the Mac speed would be 10Mbps.

55kb/sec average speeds for downloading in my mates house while it's extremely fast in my own (not using the LAN - using quickconnect)

I think there must be something else at play because the difference is huge?:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

55kb/sec average speeds for downloading in my mates house while it's extremely fast in my own (not using the LAN - using quickconnect)

I think there must be something else at play because the difference is huge?:confused:

Wow. 55kbits is pretty bad. Can you post a speed test of your broadband connection? Shouldn't be that low.

As you're downloadibn at a friend's if your upload is 100kbits this makes sense. Even then that's pretty bad connection. If it works perfectly when you're at home then it is likely to be your connection?

I've attached two screenshots of two different speedtests at my gaff. I don't know why there's such a difference with download speeds :confused:

So, since my upload speeds are pretty bad - that's the reason why it's so slow at my mates house while trying to download? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're on ADSL which has terrible upstream compared to other products on the market.

Your profile will likely be 12Mb DS 768k US. Thats 700kbps effective up at most. Data transfers are measured in Bytes not bits, so thats a MAX result of ~87KBps. Add the overhead involved in the Quickconnect program and 55 is an expected result.

If he hosted a NAS you'd be able to download at ok rates, but hosted on your connection it'll always be painfully slow. If you can upgrade to VDSL (eFibre) that'll make it 10X faster or more on average.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    You're on ADSL which has terrible upstream compared to other products on the market.

Your profile will likely be 12Mb DS 768k US. Thats 700kbps effective up at most. Data transfers are measured in Bytes not bits, so thats a MAX result of ~87KBps. Add the overhead involved in the Quickconnect program and 55 is an expected result.

If he hosted a NAS you'd be able to download at ok rates, but hosted on your connection it'll always be painfully slow. If you can upgrade to VDSL (eFibre) that'll make it 10X faster or more on average.

I understand what you're saying. He said I can leave the NAS with him while I'm away travelling - which would mean if I wanted to download a file while away, his upload speed would mean a quicker download on my end? (presuming my download speed where ever I am is decent)?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Exactly.

From him to you its the lowest value of his UP and your DOWN. Say he's on 20Mb UP with UPC, and you're on 5Mb down at a net cafe, itll work at 5Mb. Or say you're in a hotel with 30Mb down, it'll work at 20Mb.

Remember though, if you're sending your files BACK to the NAS, its your upload that will limit it 9 times out of 10, his download will be plenty.

Advertisement