Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for flying...

Options
  • 25-01-2015 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of travelling to Australia at the end of March with my 18 month old. I'm really dreading this as I'll be travelling on my own with her. I haven't booked the ticket yet as I haven't received her passport but I'd say I'll be aiming to get there in the shortest time possible so 2.5 hour stopover in Dubai seems the most likely flight to take. If anyone has any tips to entertain her or if you recommend an airline or which flight to take, I'd really appreciate it. I'm not sure about the whole baggage/buggy thing either. How far can you take buggy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm thinking of travelling to Australia at the end of March with my 18 month old. I'm really dreading this as I'll be travelling on my own with her. I haven't booked the ticket yet as I haven't received her passport but I'd say I'll be aiming to get there in the shortest time possible so 2.5 hour stopover in Dubai seems the most likely flight to take. If anyone has any tips to entertain her or if you recommend an airline or which flight to take, I'd really appreciate it. I'm not sure about the whole baggage/buggy thing either. How far can you take buggy?

You can take the buggy to the gate or steps depending on airline and collect from same.
    Plenty of toys, books etc.
    Be prepared to spend the best part of the flight following junior up and down the aisles.
    You wont any extra baggage allowance .
    Who are you flying with? Check what they say on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking Etihad or Emirates based on price and the shorter stop over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The buggy can be brought all the way to the gate and checked there. They usually take it off the plane straight away when you arrive and bring it to the steps for you too. If you have booked a seat for the little one then they get their own checked bag the same weight as you. If you are travelling with them on your lap, they don't get a checked bag, only a carry on.

We buy those magazines that come with a toy and lots of stickers, they keep her occupied for a while, especially at that age. If you have a tablet or iPad, load it up with new apps and a few TV shows or movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

Flew to New Zealand on Etihad with my then 3 month old in november. The buggy was taken to the gate in Dublin, and not seen again until Wellington. However, Abu Dhabi airport has complimentary strollers all over the place (Not sure about Dubai) to use, and I didn't have to take the baby out of it when going through security there.

Not actually flown Emirates myself, but either etihad/emirates seem to be the quickest way, through to sydney at least. I think there may be some technical stops on some of the routes to the other cities there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've only done short flights (max 4.5hrs) with my two but definitely bring lots of small snack, toys, books etc. things that break the journey into small amounts of time. Bring their favourite DVDs on a player or a tablet too. I found if you can keep them calm on take off when they have to be strapped to you then the flight generally is ok. My daughter had a meltdown when we were going to italy last summer. She had missed her nap and was very over tired. On the way home I got her to cuddle me on take off and she fell asleep for a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement