Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding the birds

Options
  • 25-01-2015 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

At this time of year it is important to help our feathered friends out. I certainly do my bit, feeding the birds gives me a sense of enormous well-being.

However , from what I'm witnessing it appears to be mainly starlings. They scare off the smaller birds. Which is a big pity.

Anyone else notice this in Charlesland? Is there anything one can do?

It's not that I have anything against starlings, but put it this way, they come nowhere close to the beauty of the smaller songbirds, for me the tits that are most pleasing to look at.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ChillMhantain

There are feeders that "bounce" if anything bigger than a finch or tit feeds on them, so keeps the bigger birds off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are feeders that "bounce" if anything bigger than a finch or tit feeds on them, so keeps the bigger birds off.
    I tried that on my nyjer seed feeder, i.e. hanging the feeder by a strong elastic band, an although it did succeed in keeping the bigger birds off, the finches have stayed away too!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Yesterday we had..
    Goldfinch, chaffinch, blue tit, great tit, long tailed tit, robin, starling and magpie all in the garden at same time. The magpies and starlings are a bit of a pain and can be agreesive but the other birds come and either pick dropped feed off the floor or wait for the others to go. Doesnt seem that much of a problem. We have 2 nut feeders, a large seed feeder and a multi fat ball feeder so plenty of room for a few birds.

Btw the last couple of days are the first time i have ever seen long tailed tits in garden at charlesland (in fact first time i have ever seen any) although birdwatch ireland website has a them as common all over ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bennetts

"...gives me a sense of enormous well-being."

Do like the Park Life reference ;-)

We've seen one or two Starlings but our regular avian visitors don't seem to be put off. For a while the Magpies took over our garden - seemed like their meeting place - but we only see one or two now so they've obviously found somewhere more suitable.

We also have 'the Robin' - does everyone have a single Robin in their garden? It feels like it's the same one that comes back every year. Fanciful I know.

Overall, I think the birds are all getting a look in but we will be extra vigilant - I don't want the Starlings bullying the other birds and leaving them hungry.

This is a new visitor to our charlesland garden. A "Blackcap". Just spotted eating the fat balls.

336512.jpg

Anyone else spotted these guys?

Info on Birdwatch Ireland site.
    http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/IrelandsBirds/Warblers/Blackcap/tabid/1130/Default.aspx

• Advertisement

bennetts wrote: »

We also have 'the Robin' - does everyone have a single Robin in their garden? It feels like it's the same one that comes back every year. Fanciful I know.

I think the same. This is our garden's robin...

336513.jpg

More info on robins
    http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/IrelandsBirds/Chats/Robin/tabid/436/Default.aspx

Just spotted this Wren too on our rose plant. One of my favourite little birds but don't see them in our garden very often so handy to have the camera by the back door.

336521.jpg

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/IrelandsBirds/Wren/tabid/434/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Jimjay wrote: »
    This is a new visitor to our charlesland garden. A "Blackcap". Just spotted eating the fat balls.

Anyone else spotted these guys?

Yeah we've had them as well, including one that was caught by our cat :(
    (she has a bell on her collar, I suspect any birds she catches are old and slow...)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

bennetts wrote: »

We seem to have a regular wagtail who has decided that our little patch of paved driveway is his empire, if we park a car there he jumps around the roof of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Please be sure to clean up bird food from the ground. A sure way to attract vermin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rosina1969

yes please dont leave the bird food on the ground. my neighbours insist on throwing whole loaves out into the garden, and then my dog eats them... crumbs are ok, not whole mouldy loaves!

Advertisement