Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.S prepaid sim card

Options
  • 25-01-2015 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just back from the US and I've a T-Mobile prepaid sim card.

It has unlimited data (first 3gbs at 4G speed which I think I've used up)

Its a nano sim which fits iphone 6 and iphone 5, Galaxy S5 etc

I paid $65 for it.

If anyone is going over to the US and needs a ready to use sim card coming off the plane let me know!

The airports over there arent filled with phone shops so its not too convenient to get a prepaid sim as it would be over here.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭indabunka

I'm going to the US for 8 weeks and was looking at the best options for using my own unlocked phone with an American SIM. T-mobile seems to be an attractive option but their website is a little confusing in relation to exactly what options there are other than ordering a sim card for my phone @ $15.00. Once you have a sim can you opt for the $40 package per month and walk away at the end of the two months? What was your experience in terms of costs etc and what plan did you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

You could look at ReadySim.

They are short term throw away sims.

Thanks for the info. I've had a look at this option and it looks good however it looks like I would have to get a new number each time I renewed/topped up and there doesn't appear to be any add on international calling feature which i would require.

Sorry Looks like you can keep your number by topping up within 72 hours of expiry so this would be a bonus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm in the US frequently and I use a T - Mobile simple card. I just get the $50 a month package which gives unlimited calls and texts. 1gb 4G and unlimited 3G. its not a rolling contract so you can purchase as you need.

If you want to keep your number you must top up within 3 months of your month's credit expiring.

They have other packages too that includes free international etc but with Skype/Facetime/iMessage that's all I need!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update, sounds just like what I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

OP here. I just went into a TMobile shop at a mall and got my nano sim with 3GB worth of data sone calls and texts for $60 before tax.

Dead easy. The only problem is I racked up about €40 in roaming before I was able to get to a mall :rolleyes:

Youd think that in a big airport like LAX they have phone shops there ready to pounce on customers as they land, but no. Mind boggling!

I still have the sim if you want it. All you need to do is top up!

Thanks for the offer however I need a Micro Sim not a nano sim. I will order online and have it posted to my US address so will be there on arrival. Once again thanks for you help.

Advertisement