Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shielded vs unshielded patch panel

Options
  • 25-01-2015 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi

Can I use an unshielded patch panel with shielded CAT 5e cable when installing an office network, of does the patch panel need to be shielded too?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Maybe I'm having a senior moment here but isnt 5e by definition unshielded. UTP is in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

ED E wrote: »
    Maybe I'm having a senior moment here but isnt 5e by definition unshielded. UTP is in the name.

Interesting question. But you find plenty shielded CAT5 cables and patch panels for sale on the net it would appear.

http://www.scpcat5e.com/bulk-cables-c-93/category-cables-c-93_106/cat5e-c-93_106_185/cat5e-shielded-c-93_106_185_203/

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rugrat69

No it can be either UTP or Ftp but to answer your question you can use the cable u have on a utp patch just omit the drain wire from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

You might be better off deploying a shielded panel. Not connecting the shield can in itself cause problems, the shield can potentially act as an Antennae. For the sake of a few euro I would look at a shielded panel. Available through any good wholesaler. AA

Advertisement