Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Clonee in Dublin 15 a good/bad area

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

Thanks Pal

carpenterstown is not castleknock.
    blanchardstown is not clonsilla and so forth. Its quiet simple just put in carpenterstown in the search tool see what you get..

of course Carpenterstown is not Castleknock, I never claimed it to be otherwise.

anything over 'that' side of the M50 is not Castleknock despite EA's and deluded people claiming otherwise!

I don't think Blanchardstown is mentioned in the thread either just better alternatives being put forward than Clonee and Whitestown (ffs!) in Dublin 15

;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- I grew up in the area- its only in modern times that people call Clonee Dublin 15- its always been Co. Meath and proud of it. Clonee on a match day was a great place to be.......

Nowadays its actually quite a nice little village- complete with both an Aldi and a Lidl, good schools and a nice creche has recently opened.

Clonee was one of the places with estates and high density apartments- which were abandoned when the bubble burst. A lot of the properties on-sale in the area are remnants of previous developments that are finally being completed. Not that this is an issue- it means that a lot of the people buying now- are likely to be owner-occupiers, whereas a lot of the people living in the first phases of the developments, probably are renting.

I'm not aware that it has any social issues to speak of- but I have to say it doesn't have a lot of facilities and amenities for kids (though you have Blach in one direction and Dunshaughlin in the other- with lots in those locations).

I wouldn't have any particular issues with the area- however, the 300k price tag does sound wildly optimistic- and unjustified, in my opinion.

I wish your friend the best with their search.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Just to touch on what ' The conductor ' has said the fact a place like Clonee was allowed to expand and not have the proper facilities in place is crazy. But it will continue to happen. Sad for everyone really that. Kids will have no where to play and the adults not where to get away from them

Whats happening in practise- is kids are getting the bus up to the Blanchardstown shopping centre and hanging around the centre with their mates- which really isn't ideal (either for the kids- or anyone else).

Whats happening in practise- is kids are getting the bus up to the Blanchardstown shopping centre and hanging around the centre with their mates- which really isn't ideal (either for the kids- or anyone else).

maybe their going to study in the lovely library :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

The Clonee D15 is just full of housing estates, very far out and very isolated. Only consolation is actually Clonee village, a bit of life as in regular shops. Myself would never live in an isolated estate again as I grew up in one and its a big no no as it is soul destroying especially for an adult. One rule I have is never buy a house beside work, buy one where you can see yourself living there for many years as you can change job down the line and you won't be stuck there for a horrible commute.

Watch out for flooding, I believe the area around Littlepace was flooded a few years ago, is Bramblefield prone as its newish?

Be aware of this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056479220&page=162

The area between Bramblefield and Hunstown was always troublesome.
    I remember a girl calling to my door once after having been mugged there,having the seen the light on my house.
    I lived in Bramblefield for 8 years, and thank God everyday I sold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

gaius c wrote: »
    Littlepace is fine.

Huntstown and Hartstown are not fine. I got mugged there one evening by three scobes, one of whom was this chappie.

I'm from whitestown, i went to primary school with that scobe. I know at least 3 other murderers from my school. Avoid whitestown/sheepmore/ladyswell/fortlawn/whitechapel/briarwood. Clonee is fine, as is Ongar, and pretty much anywhere else on the opposite side of the train tracks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Dunboyne is right beside Clonee and if you don't want to have all amenities within walking distance it is definitely worth a look.
    I would prefer it to Clonee because it has the lovely village atmosphere,and excellent schools.
    I am originally from Hartstown,I am gone along time but still have family there and most of it is fine.

• Advertisement

rawn wrote: »
    I'm from whitestown, i went to primary school with that scobe. I know at least 3 other murderers from my school. Avoid whitestown/sheepmore/ladyswell/fortlawn/whitechapel/briarwood. Clonee is fine, as is Ongar, and pretty much anywhere else on the opposite side of the train tracks.

In the interest of fairness and balance add castleknock to that list. The last murder in Dublin 15 was there. Also blanchardstown, robberies have happened there before and coolmine...because its close by

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Be aware of this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056479220&page=162

The area between Bramblefield and Hunstown was always troublesome.
    I remember a girl calling to my door once after having been mugged there,having the seen the light on my house.
    I lived in Bramblefield for 8 years, and thank God everyday I sold up.

Yeah, that's where I got done too.
    As pointed out, it's a long way from Clonee village but a lot of people refer to the Littlepace estates as "Clonee" so it's still relevant information and useful to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Well, no wonder rent is so cheap in Archers Wood then- to get to bus stops and shops from it you need to walk through a mugging hotspot?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

beauf wrote: »
    Pretty the whole of Dublin is a no go area...

Then there's that whole war between the north and south. Why would anyone move to this country at all.
    Disruptive posting not welcome. On topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Jeremyr

Wow i just read some of the posts on the Bramblefield residents group on facebook

I'll advise my friend of it, robberies and assaults seem to be a daily occurrence

Shocking stuff

In all fairness- Bramblefield isn't exactly Clonee..........

In all fairness- Bramblefield isn't exactly Clonee..........

what or where is it then?

Jeremyr wrote: »
    what or where is it then?

Its across the road from Mulhuddart- and on its side of the road- its closest village, by far- is Ongar........ Its one of those estates built in the middle of everything- with no facilities/amenities of its own. A Clonee, Dublin 15 address (which is interesting- as Clonee was never in Dublin 15)- was easier for the developers to sell to prospective purchasers. Traditionally the area was well known for a local dairy farm- and the fact that it grew malting barley, which was rumoured to be one of Guinness' sources.

The whole area- is akin to Tallaght in the late 70s- Clonee itself was a massive GAA supporters haunt- where the Dublin, Kildare and Meath supporters viewed it as a sort of neutral zone. It was also famous for its Saturday night discos. Even back in the day Kepak was the major employer- it was a massive boost for the area when it opened in 1980 (it was a branch of the family who were famous for an old Dublin butchers in the Liberties).

Clonee was given a shot in the arm when Kepak opened- few of the employees lived in the village- Kilcock and Lucan supplied the lion's share of employees.

The monstrosity of overdevelopment- which merged Clonee, Ongar (which itself was a new construct), Blanchardstown, Mulhuddart and several other places- was symptomatic of the crazy Irish planning system- and was used as a project by the EU- to bring bureaucrats from the former Eastern Bloc here and show them what could happen if rampant overdevelopment was not kept in check. The Irish government complained a few times- but it was irrefutable- it was a mess- and its only gotten worse.

Clonee itself- including its new developments in the village- are fine. Bramblefield etc- I'd avoid.

Viewing an apartment tomorrow in Archers Wood, next to Bramblefield. In light of recent posts, and looking at the facebook group, think I might give it a miss.

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Viewing an apartment tomorrow in Archers Wood, next to Bramblefield. In light of recent posts, and looking at the facebook group, think I might give it a miss.

Wise move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Roo0

I live in Archers Wood. Aesthetically its a lovely development. I've lived there for a long time now and I like it there. There have been some antisocial issues but don't most large housing developments have the same issues? Maybe go see the apartment and then decide.

It's the fear of being mugged coming through the gap from Hunstown that scares me, or having my phone stole at knife point at the bus stop that gets me, if the stories on the FB page are to be believed. I am going to attend the viewing anyway and make the best impression I can- if I get offered the place, then I can make the decision.

MrMorooka wrote: »
    It's the fear of being mugged coming through the gap from Hunstown that scares me, or having my phone stole at knife point at the bus stop that gets me, if the stories on the FB page are to be believed. I am going to attend the viewing anyway and make the best impression I can- if I get offered the place, then I can make the decision.

The stories on Facebook are likely to be exagerated and overplayed. They don't represent the experiences of the majority of people- they instead report the unfortunate experiences of a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MrsLOB

Just reading and had to post. I have lived in Clonee for 12 years but not I'm Bramblefield & I wouldn't recommend anywhere near that gap through to huntstown/ harts town it's well known for trouble. I live in manorfields over the other side of Clonee and we have never had any trouble. Most houses here are owner occupied and were well built over 15 years ago. We did buy our first house in Allende just 2 estates away and it was a disaster. The house was very badly built; we could smell the neighbours smoking! We sold and bought here & have never looked back. My kids go to school in Littlepace and there are lots of schools in area now. I would recommend checking any area out at night before you make a decision. Any questions
    Just send me a message.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ap73

monica555 wrote: »
    I lived in Clonee (Castaheany) and Carpenterstown (Luttrellstown)
    I would avoid Bramblefield. It's too close to Huntstown.
    Tell your friends to drive there on few occasions for example on warm Friday or Saturday evening and also during the day. Large groups of bored teenagers drinking alcohol etc, young kids without parents, rusted bikes on greens, high popularity of Nissan Micra/Toyota Yaris type of cars are not the best signs...

As a Bramblefield resident of 15 years I feel I must comment on this thread as it definitely isn't a true reflection of the area. The majority of the houses in our estate which I imagine is only approx. 180 are owner occupied. If one bothered to drive around the estate you would see that the majority are well kept and maintained. My neighbours on both sides and both sides to them are all here over 10 years and all are raising families in the area.

The greens in our area are always maintained and in all my years I have never seen rusted bikes, or teenagers drinking or young kids abandoned without parents, in fact the two greens in our estate are both overlooked by houses?? I also don't get your reference to the two cars mentioned above??? If you going to post on an area please drive through it and even post pictures because your obviously viewing a different estate.

As regards to the recent attacks these are recent (since November) and it is unfortunate that the guards have not caught up with the culprits as of yet. The residents are very proactive in dealing with this issue through the guards and the local TD's, it would appear that the same gang of lads approx. 2-3 are causing the trouble. I doubt they are probably even from beyond the gap as in all the years that I have lived here this is the first time we have come across this. Occasionally there may be teenagers hanging around but a lot less than you would see at the local shops and I have never heard of them causing any trouble.

I feel the comments posted here are an unjust reflection on our estate and as a resident I never see gangs hanging around inside our estate either night or day. Bramblefield until quite recently was a quite estate nestled of the Littlepace road and unfortunately it only takes 2-3 juveniles to cause all this mayhem.

Advertisement