Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Landlord is trying to keep my Deposit unfairly

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Graces7 please learn how to use the multi quote function, you are spamming the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I think it should be cleaned as he says but if you have been there 7 years I think he should get it cleaned anyway. I strongly recommend that you get in touch with the prtb. They will give you free advice on this. Also their word is final.

always read here that ll cannot charge for cleaning a long as the renter has cleaned..

A few points

What matter is it to this if the LL is a dog owner? Someone can be allergic to cats without being allergic to dogs. Nevertheless, even if it that wasn't the case, what difference does it make that he has a dog in his private residence? The issue is with your cats in a rental property.

What's with the quotes around the word dander? Are you suggesting he's making something up? Dander is a real thing and exacerbates some peoples' allergies. Did you not research this before adopting the cats?

There is a difference between a normal clean/steam clean, and a proper industrial cleaning. If there are were animals in the property for two years, then I would say a proper cleaning is needed.

I don't know what PRTB can do. Technically you broke the lease. Unless the LL refuses to provide a receipt, what do you expect?

would be interesting to learn what this "deep clean " actually consists of and how much it should cost..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Graces7 wrote: »
    cat litter in carpets? Interesting idea..:rolleyes: carpets are death traps anyways and were they new when the OP moved in?

The actual cat litter box is kept in the utility room, well away from any carpeted surfaces

Cormac... wrote: »
    Well give the 1st cat was rescued from next door in winter from the engine of a car when it was left to die as a kitten (by it's mother, not our neighbours etc) we didn't exactly think to have a big sit around the kitchen table to hammer out a plan. He was grand with the cats being there (we only got the 2nd a year later on the back of him being ok with the 1st, and the 1st being lonely while we were at work).

He could have said "NO CATS - look at the lease here, pack your things or throw the cat out" but he did not.

I really don't see how it's damage.... if you're not allergic to cats this makes no difference.... Maybe I could just say I'd pay it if the next tennant is indeed allergic to cat dander (not fur)? And if they are not, he can move along.

FWIW I also know he's torn between renting again and selling and this would be a lovely oppurtunity to have the place given the once over in the hazmat suits[/QUOTE]

aha; that says it all OP... what a chancer! When you call threshold tell them this. This alters the whole scene.. so he went on the web searching!

• Advertisement

Cormac... wrote: »
    Why are people still saying "Fur", I could not have been clearer on that. There will be no fur. Dander is not fur. I'm not gonna leave any fur in the property.

He's going to get quotes for cleaning the property from 4 cleaning companies.

Oh gee! Trying to scare you now! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Graces7 please learn how to use the multi quote function, you are spamming the thread.

People posting on mobiles/tablets using the Boards.ie touch site are unfortunately unable to avail of the multi quote function.

Sorry but I do not understand what you mean? I am on a very old decrepit laptop that has some bits missing.. enter has exited etc.. never heard of multiquote...

foggy_lad wrote: »
    People posting on mobiles/tablets using the Boards.ie touch site are unfortunately unable to avail of the multi quote function.

thanks!

One last thought.. do not forget the bats! Coffee time here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

foggy_lad wrote: »

I'm aware of the functionality of the touch site - but that doesn't apply here.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Sorry but I do not understand what you mean? I am on a very old decrepit laptop that has some bits missing.. enter has exited etc.. never heard of multiquote...

Graces7 stop posting individual replies to every single post in this thread/forum. I've provided a link to the FAQ's of the site that show you how to multi-quote. Learn how to use it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

It's the button directly to the right of "Quote", it looks like +" and can be toggled/untoggled to your hearts content.

I only mention the quotes from companies as I asked that anything he quotes for is agnostic and I get 3 or more prices

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

TrishSimon wrote: »
    I've been reading all the post and I rent and am a cat owner too, I have several cats and my LL knows about it. I keep the house spotless and there is no smell of cats and I make sure of that I will point out that I do think the LL of the original posters house is being over the top if she has kept it clean and stayed on top of things there is no need for a " deep Clean " but I would agree a cleaning company would probably have to come in to put a few hours in and after 7 years repair work ie. maintenance of the property would also need to be done at the cost of the LL unless its something the tenant has broken or damaged, I took pictures when I moved to the property where I was so I have evidence of how it looked when I moved in and how it is kept now. The house I am renting when I moved in was filthy and in bits there had been a big dog in the house and although I could not smell dog or anything in fact the house was more dirty because of the people and their kids so it took me 2 weeks to get the place up to standard why because my LL would not clean it, replace any carpets or get a cleaning company in.

I too am a landlord of one property which I rent out so I know that from having 2 cats you are not going to need a deep clean which will take up all of the deposit.

If the LL is so intent on getting the place industrially cleaned I would ask for the name of the company and check the clean is booked also look for receipts with pricing on it.
    If he is allergic to cats why is he basing it on other people also being allergic and remember when he had the walk through the cats were prob still in the house and the property had not been cleaned yet so of course he is going to have a reaction.
    Once a cleaning company just a general one has come in and done maybe 3 hours it would be okay he is chancing his arm.

Could you ask somebody who does not live with or have a cat and has not in the past 12 months to come over and smell your house to tell you. As I stated earlier. I know myself that I dont smell smoke anymore and people with cats cant smell cats in a house, but no matter how clean you try to be the smell is there and other people without these smells in their houses will definitely notice. Im sure you keep your house very clean and are very careful, and I doubt it has a pungent smell of cats, but there is definitely still a smell , by cats very nature they smell,and I think after a number of years, the LL is too right to want this cleaned professionally.

Advertisement