Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when is the earliest I can catch bream and hybrids again

Options
  • 25-01-2015 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

From What month can I expect nice bags of bream an hybrids.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Possible any time but April/May is best around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I always found that from St. Patricks day onwards was time to target the Bream

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

uch wrote: »
    I always found that from St. Patricks day onwards was time to target the Bream

Once the bream is over it's hangover they usually feed right??

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭db97

I cant wait to catch them again cant beat course fishing ha. Sick of sittin in the freezing cold for pike haha. Any preffered groundbaits for them amd do you use partical baits in the mix

db97 wrote: »
    I cant wait to catch them again cant beat course fishing ha. Sick of sittin in the freezing cold for pike haha. Any preffered groundbaits for them amd do you use partical baits in the mix

Least with pike you can have one or two dead bait rods in the water or one dead baiting and other spinning.
    Course fishing I find is the most dull boring tyoe of fishing out there.

• Advertisement

Ah it can be borin allright ha but when your in a nice spot in the summer an have a shoal of bream and hybrids in front of yyou you will catch all day on a light quiver tip rod great fun man but you have to use light gear. Dont get me wrong thou I would love to catch a double figure pike man.

Ah it can be borin allright ha but when your in a nice spot in the summer an have a shoal of bream and hybrids in front of yyou you will catch all day on a light quiver tip rod great fun man but you have to use light gear. Dont get me wrong thou I would love to catch a double figure pike man.
    Ha join the club it's been a while since I last hooked a decent double. A few here and there of the 10-11 pound mark. But in saying that I've done **** all proper fishing. Been more into bringing my 4 year old daughter out for some trout and few roach.
    Need t get down to ennel or derevara for some nice pike

If your in dublin you should head up too cavan im goin in march hopefilly sopposed to be good pike up there.. and aswell you should go the canal in kilcock its not that far from you full of roach and small bream an hybrids I caught a monster of an ell in there last year by chance ha and if ya want easy and good fun the trout lake in lyreen lakes in maynooth is great I caught 26 trout in on day and a massive rudd great laugh on light tackle.

If your in dublin you should head up too cavan im goin in march hopefilly sopposed to be good pike up there.. and aswell you should go the canal in kilcock its not that far from you full of roach and small bream an hybrids I caught a monster of an ell in there last year by chance ha and if ya want easy and good fun the trout lake in lyreen lakes in maynooth is great I caught 26 trout in on day and a massive rudd great laugh on light tackle.

Il never fish there as long as I live. Long story.
    Yeah I've fished kilcock. It's a nice spot and I've caught a few pike in it on floating roach.
    Good crack. And as for Cavan it's supposed to be the pike county but never hear of massive fish been caught.

Il never fish there as long as I live. Long story.
    Yeah I've fished kilcock. It's a nice spot and I've caught a few pike in it on floating roach.
    Good crack. And as for Cavan it's supposed to be the pike county but never hear of massive fish been caught.

I had a 22lb in Cavan in last year and several over 14 lb. Cavan is excellent for pike.

• Advertisement

I miss the canal whenever I go back to dublin to visit family I always love to fish the canal its brutal around dublin overfished and weedy.. but if your willing to take a spin out kildare way or even as far as offally its always worth it I find aswell the fish in the canal around dublin are deadwide.. I remember last summer I said id try the canal at the lock in clondalkin up past there I was amazed too see roach and perch and these were only young small fish they would not touch my hook bait so I said id take off the sinking shot between the hook and the float and leave it sink naturally and still nothing then id throw in a handfull of maggots and then drop in me hookbait and they ate every maggot exeptme hookbait ha was mad.. I also seen this in corcagh park and srameen do you know any pike spots around clare/limerick area or could yea even suss out any for me ? And pm me them would aappreciate it man..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Least with pike you can have one or two dead bait rods in the water

As opposed to a float rod in the water? Dont get me wrong, I'm a pike angler but thats kinda comparing like with like.

As opposed to a float rod in the water? Dont get me wrong, I'm a pike angler but thats kinda comparing like with like.

But you can also get up and walk around with a spinning rod aswell.
    And keep an ear out for the bite alarm
    I see lads fishing for course fish with everything but the kitchen sink with them in a massive tent waiting all day for a bite
    Never got into it.

I had a 22lb in Cavan in last year and several over 14 lb. Cavan is excellent for pike.

Not arguing it's not but just saying you never ear of any monsters being caught

Not arguing it's not but just saying you never ear of any monsters being caught

You're not talking to the right people or actually getting out there to see them. :)

Not everybody rushes to the internet to broadcast that they had another day with pike >1m caught.
    Cavan lakes are superb for pike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

But you can also get up and walk around with a spinning rod aswell.
    And keep an ear out for the bite alarm
    I see lads fishing for course fish with everything but the kitchen sink with them in a massive tent waiting all day for a bite
    Never got into it.

That's Carp fishing you're thinking about

21/25

Yea carp fishing is very boring man but worth the wait there nice fish and give some fight.

Anyone ever fished the lake in curragh chase in limerick for pike heard theres pike in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

If your in dublin you should head up too cavan im goin in march hopefilly sopposed to be good pike up there.. and aswell you should go the **************** full of roach and small bream an hybrids I caught a monster of an ell in there last year by chance ha and if ya want easy and good fun the trout lake in lyreen lakes in maynooth is great I caught 26 trout in on day and a massive rudd great laugh on light tackle.

probably not the best idea to advertise the exact location on a public forum, if you want those fish to be there by the end of the summer!

Coarse fishing boring? I suppose it depends on what you are into really. catching a few small roach and perch is very easy, but to get the big catches of bream and tench it requires a lot of work, but when it all comes together, there is nothing like it imo. Getting a few slow pulls on the tip, or seeing the bubbles for a tench around the float are very exciting! even more so at the crack of dawn when you are in "fishing mode"!

as for the pike, if you want the really big fish, head to the larger lakes in the country. lakes like ree, derg, corrib and mask. these lakes are very vast, and finding the twenties can be tough, a boat is essential! on the western loughs last year in one day we had 2 twenties, lost another twenty, 5-6 more doubles, and a load of jacks.
    These lakes are very dangerous though, unless you are well experienced on a boat, and know where the rocks are, you could be in a world of trouble!

Yea I know its not the best idea to be sayin spots man but its hard to get advice because people are paronoid about there spots which I understand because there all ruined the only reason I say the spots is because i dont know the area.. and im hoping someone will pm me a spot like iv heard of loads of spots but I dont want to waste my time going in case there already overfished like.. people shouldnt have to worried about there spots like I dont understand why people kill fish like Im happy enough to have a photo for proof ;) ha and then the fish back in the water as fast as I can like for someone to hopefully catch again ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Anyone ever fished the lake in curragh chase in limerick for pike heard theres pike in there

It used to be crawling with them, some massive ones too, but I think a lot have been posched over the years. There are a few in there though.

It used to be crawling with them, some massive ones too, but I think a lot have been posched over the years. There are a few in there though.

Nice one gumbi would you say its worth a try ?

Given the time of year, I would say so ya. Access can be awkward though, there are reeds everywhere, but seeing as it's winter, they'll be at their lowest this time of year, plus they've been cut down recently due to some work being done there recently.

I do fish for perch when out piking.
    Mepps 1 or 0 does it or the best bait is spinning a minnow. Perch love the minnow and I've caught some crackers on them.

Ill suss it out anyway gumbi sound man.. and yea dodderangler iv heard minnows are good for big perch its nice catchin a decent one but see the small ones and small roach aswell there a nuiscance when using maggot and the perch ALWAYS swallow the hook ha.

I caught two beauty's on derevara first and second cast
    Both were at least 3 lb
    Then hit into a 3 stocked brownies over 3 lb all within 10 mins.

Say you were delighted with them perch love to get a decent one like them great little scrappers they are great laugh on light gear.. the biggest one I got was 1 1\2lb was happy with that ha thought it was a trout by the way It was fightin ha got him on red and white maggot legered.

Advertisement