Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary teacher UK moving to ireland/no Irish!! Help

• 25-01-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Moved to a thread on it's own OP... hope the title is ok
    mod

Hi all....I am an English born and English trained Primary school teacher and my question is ....what are my chances of teaching in Ireland? I am moving over with my partner in August. I have absolutely no Irish whatsoever. Is there any international school where Irish is not compulsory? thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You'll have to have Irish, I'm afraid. The other downside is that you'll be competing against all the current people with experience for any job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I have a couple of UK trained friends. When they came back they worked in preschools or montessori schools while doing Irish courses.

Irish is compulsory all the way through the education system here with very few exceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

conbarhan wrote: »
    Is there any international school where Irish is not compulsory?
    Well that's a pretty bad attitude to start with. Most people would at least be open to the idea of learning a new language and from a teacher, that's the minimum I'd expect. You could be a great inspiration to those students (and indeed, those lazy teachers) who say Irish is too hard (it isn't) but instead you're looking for ways around something you know to be a requirement of the job you want to do.

mod warning:

Sorry RealJohn thats not the way it works on boards. See above posts for how to respond to someone seeking advice. Anyone seeking advice is automatically in a vulnerable position so we have to be sensitive to their situation.

Do not respond to warnings in-thread as it drags things off topic.

If I don't know which mod I'm talking to, how can I respond anywhere other than on the thread?

Advertisement