Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being charged for DD I've cancelled twice

Options
  • 25-01-2015 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi,

Have an issue which needs addressing asap.
    Moved apartment at the end of August 2014. Had a broadband subscription with Magnet which was cancelled in August 2014. In September, I find that I have been charged again, despite having already terminated the contract. So I go though a long arduous process with Magnet once more to ensure it's properly cancelled. 

Since then I've been away doing a masters in France. And now I've come to return to see that Magnet, despite dealing with their billing department TWICE, continued to attempt to take money from my a/c. I'm a college student. My balance is zero. And so each time this has occurred, BOI have hit me with a €12.60 charge. I'm already barely paying bills and now this.

Considering I've done everything in my power correctly, I feel quite taken advantage of being hit with €40 in charges at a time that I'm too financially pressed to pay them. BOI should have safe guards in place to protect it's customers rather than punish them when this sort of stuff happens. 

I simply cant afford this right now. What do you expect me to do? How can you help me sort this out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi Rob!,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards.

Sorry to hear this, the charge would only be applied to your account if a company presents a direct debit for payment and it is unpaid. So it would appear that the direct debit is still being presented for payment and has not been cancelled yet.

There are a number of options available to you under the SEPA scheme, including the option to cancel, request a refund or block your account to direct debits.  You also have an option to refuse a direct debit from a specific creditor.

Some SEPA direct debit services can be accessed online via 365 online. If you do not bank online, access to SEPA Direct Debit Services can be made by downloading, printing and signing forms here

You must also advise the creditor that you are cancelling the direct debit payment.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

BOI do have safeguards in place. When you cancel a direct debit with a company, you should also contact BOI to have the debtor added to your direct debit blacklist. That means they can't collect any more direct debits, even if their billing department have screwed up.

Magnet should refund any fees associated with the incorrect submission of the direct debit, this was their mistake

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement