Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non Saorview "grey" import - consumer rights?

• 25-01-2015 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

HI all,

If this is the wrong section then please do let me know.

As per a previous thread my Mum lives alone in a small two bed apt. She occasionally deals with commercial travelers - basically sales reps for companies what do stuff on tick.

Before Xmas some new fella turned up and offered her the "best deal imaginable" on a TV. I am trying to find out who he is actually a rep for.

Anyway, despite me telling her hundreds of times NOT to but anything from these guys, she never listens.

She was sold their "Xmas offer" which was a AKAI 48LEDFHDSMART TV, for €715.

The only references I can find to this TV online are in Hungary and Romania, so my guess is it is a "grey import".

I'll be over next month, but I very much doubt if it is Saorview compatible. I can't find tech specs for it anywhere though.

Once I find out who the guys is a rep for, what are my options? I have no hesitation in ringing them.

I've over mind next month and have no hesitation driving to where ever they are based either.

I have two questions though:

1) Is it legal to sell a non Irish, non Saorview compatible TV in ROI?
    2) IF I want to go down the small courts claim way, how long does that process (generally) take?

Any help at all great received.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

HI all,

As per a previous thread my Mum lives alone in a small two bed apt. She occasionally deals with commercial travelers - basically sales reps for companies what do stuff on tick.

Before Xmas some new fella turned up and offered her the "best deal imaginable" on a TV. I am trying to find out who he is actually a rep for.

Anyway, despite me telling her hundreds of times NOT to but anything from these guys, she never listens.

The only references I can find to this TV online are in Hungary and Romania, so my guess is it is a "grey import".

I'll be over next month, but I very much doubt if it is Saorview compatible. I can't find tech specs for it anywhere though.

Once I find out who the guys is a rep for, what are my options? I have no hesitation in ringing them.

I've over mind next month and have no hesitation driving to where ever they are based either.

2) IF I want to go down the small courts claim way, how long does that process (generally) take?

private sale, not illegal can't go to small claims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

HI all,

Time spent in small claims vs buying a cheap saorview box.
    I know which one I would be going for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

The only references I can find to this TV online are in Hungary and Romania

When I do a search, the top results seem to be Euronics related, so I would think the TV isn't completely useless WRT Saorview, although it won't have been through the approvals process. (Although the list could be out of date, for all I know.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

Thurston? wrote: »
    When I do a search, the top results seem to be Euronics related, so I would think the TV isn't completely useless WRT Saorview, although it won't have been through the approvals process. (Although the list could be out of date, for all I know.)

TV should be fine for it, I have a Germany TV and soar view works fine, she just way overpaid for a TV with zero warranty

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Those AKAI TV's are Vestel's the same as Toshiba, Sharp, Walker, NordMende, Technika, etc. etc.

It'll work alright with Saorview. It would be the "best deal imaginable" alright... for the man that sold it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fitzy73_London

macyard wrote: »
    private sale, not illegal can't go to small claims

You can't bring a private sale to the small claims court? The guy was a rep for a company. Not a one man band.

Aren't "grey imports" illegal though as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aren't "grey imports" illegal though as well?

No, if a company buys goods in a different country and sells them here, they may be in breach of the original purchase agreement (to only sell them retail in that country) but that would be a civil matter between the seller and buyer and would have no impact on the legality of a sale to a consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fitzy73_London

SO she has no leg to stand on then. Just suck it up. Even though there is no English literature at all with the damn thing. And until I go over I have no idea whether or not it will work with Soarview.

Congrats to Marlboro Trust in Cork for taking €899 off an OAP by selling her an piece of crap worth, at most, €300.

Companies like you make me sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ireland should copy some UK counties.

Ban Door to Door sales completely. The crime rate dramatically falls as they are also used for obvious criminality as well as legal scams like this.

Even "legitimate" service providers reps tell lies to boost sign-ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think you have bigger issues than what the tv is like.
    Marlboro trust are money lenders. They operate a retail side as well which is I presume where your mother got the tv from. It seems they offer interest free credit on items sold and no doubt are happy to sell to anyone regardless of credit history. The catch is that prices are super inflated, basically to build in the huge interest charges associated with traditional money lenders.
    I guess that explains the cost of the TV.
    The tv is probably ok but if you want to do anything for your mother, insist that she stops dealing with these people.

Advertisement