Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

cleaning r1200r forks

• 25-01-2015 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Anyone know how to clean the aluminium forks? Mine are wrecked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Anyone know how to clean the aluminium forks? Mine are wrecked.

You could sand them down with very fine wet and dry sand paper and shine them up with AutoSol.

They will look amazing but a bit of maintenance would be required every so often.

Well worth it imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Robbie. dub

Cheers. I don't think I can sand
    these though. They already have that rough finish.

might give the autosol a shot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

autosol does the same thing sandpaper does, just slower :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

If theyre anodised you wont be able to do anything with them unless you remove the anodising.....it can be done and then polished.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Wet and dry paper, a few coats of Hammerite Smooth (aerosol), final coat of lacquer (optional).
    Close match to original colour, holding up better than I expected after a few years.

There's an small air-vent srcrew at top of stanchions. Don't forget to open if removing\installing forks.

• Advertisement

Wet and dry paper, a few coats of Hammerite Smooth (aerosol), final coat of lacquer (optional).
    Close match to original colour, holding up better than I expected after a few years.

There's an small air-vent srcrew at top of stanchions. Don't forget to open if removing\installing forks.

Sounds risky :-)
    Any chance you could take a few pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Acid or alkaline clean. Scrub them with cif and rinse very well. Acid etch primer and some rattle can wheel spray then topcoat with clearcoat. Not cheap for etch primer but will stick to alloy very well.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Acid or alkaline clean. Scrub them with cif and rinse very well. Acid etch primer and some rattle can wheel spray then topcoat with clearcoat. Not cheap for etch primer but will stick to alloy very well.

Have you done this already?
    I'd love to see the finished product!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Here you go. Though I should have waited for daylight to take photos.
    And I should have mentionedm mine is an R1150

Here you go. Though I should have waited for daylight to take photos.
    And I should have mentionedm mine is an R1150

Thanks for doing uploading!
    I think I might try that, going to give them a good scrub first though and see how they turn out. Its surprising how fast they lost their finish, the bike only has 20k on the clock and they look wrecked......

• Advertisement
Advertisement