Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Misseskelly

Heavy rain / snow shower there on the school run - bray . Temp dropped from 5c to 2c in space of 10 min . Wasn't expecting anything let alone so soon .. Maybe a sign of what's to come .

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

there was a light snow shower in D11 about 10 minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Snow sticking to the ground is not dependent on how moist it is. Ground temps need to be low to allow snow to settle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Bbc Nothern Ireland weather hinted at the prospect of upgrading their snow warning to amber later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm in Strabane and we had a heavy hail shower at around 8.40am which covered the ground in no time quickly followed by a light snow shower. It's going to be an interesting day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Snowing in drogheda

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Windiest night of the winter; gusts to 80km/hr at least (Rachel didn't really feature here). I can see what looks like sleet/snow falling over the hills in passing showers.

In this case passing is a good description for my location, they pass to the east and the west without leaving anything here! Must be in the rain-shadow of those masts on 3-Rock.

Temp 3.0C and falling....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

AA roadwatch tells a story...http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Kinda half hearted snow sprinkling in Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Temps dropped 7.5 degrees between 04.00 and 08.30 and were still dropping. Its now 1.6 in Navan but feels like -2 with the wind chill. Just had a very light sprinkling of snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Down from high of 9.8c at 03:10 to a low of 3.6c now at 09:14 with windchill of -1c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Villain wrote: »
    Down from high of 9.8c at 03:10 to a low of 3.6c now at 09:14 with windchill of -1c

Dropping fast in Arklow also Now 4.2c with the dewpoint just gone sub zero

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Snow stopped now in drogheda. Hopefully more later

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Nabber wrote: »
    Snow sticking to the ground is not dependent on how moist it is. Ground temps need to be low to allow snow to settle.

Well then ground temps must be getting colder, starting to stay on the driveway, 4 showers since 8 o'clock, they are brief, but each one getting a little bit heavier.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

At 8.30am this morning, sleet showers in Dublin 16 and snow appeared to be sticking at an elevation above 300m. Very much knife edge stuff for Capital City.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

Is it time to change the thread title to all at risk?. Met Eireann saying its likely to snow in all areas over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Snow and hail in Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Sleety snow in castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Navan 2c with dewpoint of -1.9 with a passing snow shower, looking up I see blue sky and cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nice hail shower here in west Clare with a temp of between 2 and 3c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Hailstones and graupel in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Again it looks like showers are dieing out half way across the country, this was always forecast to be the case, but frustrating none the less. Annoying how rain showers can make it to the east but snow struggles, very jealous of you in the west

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

just had brief snow shower in Navan, but the blue skies are back, damn them!! temp 2.1 and falling.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

temperature droppped from 8.1C at 1:40am to 1.0C at 8:40 ! near donegal town

latest Hail shower turned everything white outside

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The sun came up bright over the eastern rim ...all kinds of muck on the horizon to the north so this will not last but lovely to see it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Crazy scenes here in Donegal, massive hail stones, probably biggest I have ever seen, wind blowing like mad. I just spend the last hour picking up rubbish from my tossed bin. Place all white now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Philip7304

Blue skies here in Lucan, Dublin.
    Wind has eased considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Again it looks like showers are dieing out half way across the country, this was always forecast to be the case, but frustrating none the less. Annoying how rain showers can make it to the east but snow struggles, very jealous of you in the west

Hang in there Reckless it's still early in this event. It's this evening eastern areas are to be hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

I have to drive from a little south of Clifden to Westport and back again tonight, how is it looking for that trip would anyone know? I wouldn't be overly bothered about how long it would take to get home, don't mind driving slow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

highdef wrote: »
    In work in Dublin (in since before 4am) but have been looking at the temperature drop at home in Kildare, not far from Enfield. Home is situated a little under 100m amsl however temperatures have been falling a lot more than I expected.

The important bit of info with regards to home is that the current temperature is only 2c on the button and is still falling quite quickly, despite being shower free right now. This bodes well for any incoming showers.
    I'm still kind of confident that much of north Leinster Inc your area in a wide swathe from Athlone to Dublin northwards could have at least some settling snow by this time tomorrow as showers over mayo travel across intact in that wind,hit and miss but very probable

Cork city still on target too in the north westerly, benefiting from localised neg dp's dragged down from the hills over north and west cork
    Settling there less certain, but possible/probable inland of say Ballincollig up to Macroom/Millstreet over to the Kerry border

Latest Euro 4 Ive seen,suggests this but again my gut is telling me this too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement