Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Jesus it's only snow I'm sure you have seen it before
    Google pictures of snow if it make you feel better

I made a commitment when this tread opened. Mans got to live by his word :D
    Nabber wrote: »
    If some one comes on and says 'loads of snow here'. ... without
    1. Saying where 'here' is
    2. No pictures
    3. Saying winter is over now (when it stops)

I am going to hunt you down......

No photo, I can forgive in time, but no location? Has to be capital punishment!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Pretty snow & horrid horrid wind chill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Starting to snow again in drogheda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Rosguill peninsula.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Big fluffy snowflakes falling in Navan, temp dropping again. (not a chance of it sticking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'm sitting in a 4th floor office in Shannon looking north, I can see all these amazing looking squalls and clouds passing by to the north, and all we have here is wind and blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Fuh Q wrote: »
    Big fluffy snowflakes falling in Navan, temp dropping again. (not a chance of it sticking)

Head out to wilkinstown rathkenny area,, place is white.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Pretty snow & horrid horrid wind chill
    sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Heads up cork city INCOMING

:confused: I'm in Cork city, I don't see no snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Nabber wrote: »
    Snow sticking to the ground is not dependent on how moist it is. Ground temps need to be low to allow snow to settle.

Anyway that wind is drying up the ground nicely. Walking with the dogs the wind was going through me this morning. My little one now snuggled up in bed trying to get warm after being out.

Stopped again big flakes nut it was more wet snow that anything. If temps drop a bit more it should be good

• Advertisement

Stopped again big flakes nut it was more wet snow that anything. If temps drop a bit more it should be good

Still a blizzard here, this should be heading to drogheda

temps are getting nice and l
    temp_uk.pngow
    and the dew points
    pointrosee_uk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Morning all. We are on track today. Sleet and snow showers continuing through the day and later will get through to most places especially overnight. The winds were a bit stronger than expected this morning and should have got more prominence in the OP.

In relation to the weekend and next week - it's all part of the same cold snap but to avoid confusion and cross posting on more than one potential event, as is stated in the OP, it's best for the moment to take things a step at a time. We'll change the thread title and I will write a new OP regarding the weekend and in to next week tomorrow assuming the moderators agree that's a better way to go to keep the place tidy. The situation for that period is evolving and far from certain. The FI thread has all the info on developments for next week. Best not to get ahead of ourselves just yet ;)

This is certainly orange category now for tonight for the northern half of the country this evening and tonight.

Snow shower passing just to my north here in north Dublin.

bQxzThE.jpg

That's really interesting Maq thanks because I didn't have a handle on how the two worked together

snowing good now in drogheda but not sticking yet. still all good :) it will stick at some point

Smidge wrote: »
    Almost white out here(would post a pic etc except I dont know how:o)

Yeah I'm on the iPad and it won't allow me to attach a picture. Is it possible to copy an image and paste it into my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's really interesting Maq thanks because I didn't have a handle on how the two worked together
    The key is having negative dewpoints. That's central to snowflakes not wanting to tend to change back to rain. As for whether it sticks, actual temperature comes into it. Tbh I've never seen snow that lasted more than 20 minutes with the air temperature nudging past 1.5 but it will look pretty while it lasts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Met office Amber snow warning released for the north. Comes in to play at 5pm. Yellow in force up until then. Been a while since they had an amber snow warning

"Strong and gusty winds will lead to drifting and blizzard conditions at times"

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Head out to wilkinstown rathkenny area,, place is white.

Put the kettle on..

met eireann not making much of it tomorrow or friday, using the word rain alot... personally i cant see them sticking to that forecast going by the weather models. its looking good to me.
    gfs-0-42.png?6

• Advertisement

Fuh Q wrote: »
    Put the kettle on..

Sun is out now, it'll be gone soon enough i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

heavy hail shower just hit us here in South Kerry,,, few flakes of snow mixed it, flying in from the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Lovely sunny clear skies here Greystones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Is this heading the Waterford direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Some snow falls, hail and wind in South Sligo - not sticking enough for photos yet just a few white patches on the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The first beefy shower of the day to uphold the longstanding tradition of fizzling out on the Dublin border. 😉

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Clear skies in Waterford City with a temp of 5.3c DP 1.2c. Max gust from earlier of 60km/h

www.waterfordcityweather.com/

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Moderate hail shower in a rather strong SW wind.

Not too cold here in West Limerick.

Totally overcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Sleet /rain at Dublin airport now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

obezyana wrote: »
    Is this heading the Waterford direction?

No.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement