Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭space2ground1

First proper look at the charts today and wow.. when you don't see a few runs and then come back to it, the fact that this is holding steady amazes me!

Im predicting the usual Waterford shaped hole in the snow sat image next week. :D

336754.jpg

Just as a request to the mods, I'd love to use times like this to learn more about the charts and I wonder could we have a thread for 0-96hrs or whatever that just concentrates on the charts alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

The Dublin Mountains should be getting a good dose of snow going by the radar, any reports of snowfall up along the Military Road between Firhouse & Glencree?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Still no precipitation in Tullamore. Bright, sunny, lots of clouds on the horizon and absolutely freezing cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

The_Shotz wrote: »
    Just looking at that cloud, if something don't fall from that I'd be very surprised! Here's hoping.

Rain, sleet and a small bit of snow, sun shining now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

kenmc wrote: »
    I thought you were trying to prove otherwise, that there was snow on the m50. no matter, on with the snowwatch.
    clouds coming in on raintoday in the next 20 mins or so

There was snow on the M50...as per Twitter picture posted earlier (and as could be seen on the live cameras at that time).

There is now no longer snow on the M50 (as can be seen on the live cameras).

Case closed! :)

A little light snow falling here as I type. 1.9c DP 0.3c atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Wet snow falling in Athlone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Lenny5 wrote: »
    Skies turn black in cbar but only produce 30 seconds of heavy hail before moving swiftly on and the sun coming out :-( As said earlier the wind is blowing these showers through too quickly.

Same here in Galway. Sunny now in Parkmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Plenty of showers heading cork city way :-) hopefully tonight better stuff will come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

There's been a few heavy wintry showers in galway, to much warmth in this afternoon sun for it to stick, going to be an interesting evening lampost watching, temps will fall soon enough so here's hoping

more sustained showers should be appearing on the rainfall radar soon which then will be arriving on the west coast

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

met ie words and the map do not seem to match... interesting. I think too tonight may see a different picture all over...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Weird that just south of me, and those further north in Kildare report heavy snow. Either I'm in a crappy micro climate here with sleet or other people call rain/sleet as snow because it looks white.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Misseskelly

Thargor wrote: »
    I counted 5-6 flakes :D

I was trying to think of the word for the weird snow & then it hit me ... Shnizzel ... Like ice chips ... Real blowey flakes lashing down now

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

"Heavy" snow in Shankill again. Dont know if it will stick...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Light snow flurries in Rathfarnham, D14. Looks like a bit of it sticking further up the hills in the 3 Rock Ticknock direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Wet snow falling in Athlone now.
    Starting now in Moate!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not a cloud in sight all day here, unbroken blue skies

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nice shower of huge snowflakes here at the moment, very pretty.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Nice shower of huge snowflakes here at the moment, very pretty.
    Are you still in Wicklow SC ?

Are you still in Wicklow SC ?

Nope, in Loughlinstown, wish I was still in Annamoe right now, bet its all white up there at the moment.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

nothing in Tinahely are we the only ones with nothing? lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Heavy sleet/wet snow mix shower just cleared Carlow Town should appear on my webcam any minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Graces7 wrote: »
    met ie words and the map do not seem to match... interesting. I think too tonight may see a different picture all over...

Keep in mind the met.ie radar doesn't pick up showers very well in the far west and northwest because it doesn't have the range. Radar coverage in Donegal is notoriously bad.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ shows a more accurate picture for the northwest as it uses UK met and Irish met radars combined for better coverage.

Nope, in Loughlinstown, wish I was still in Annamoe right now, bet its all white up there at the moment.

Oh I'd say so ... Heavy shower in bray there .What do you think tonight is gonna bring us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gonzo wrote: »
    not a cloud in sight all day here, unbroken blue skies

Same here. Showers going north and south. A bit more luck later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I just saw a load of mamatus clouds on the way from Galway to Athenry there to the south. They usually mean thunderstorms, so could get plenty of thundersnow later hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Villain wrote: »
    Heavy sleet/wet snow mix shower just cleared Carlow Town should appear on my webcam any minute.

www.carlowweather.com Is that what I got to for the webcam?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Nothing much to report down the road in Roundwood. Been a mix of graupel and small flakes for 20 minutes or so, but nothing sticking. And its just stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Very heavy sleet showers in Castlebar, no sign of the good stuff yet but its trying.

Oh I'd say so ... Heavy shower in bray there .What do you think tonight is gonna bring us ?

I'd say there is a definite possibility of a light dusting overnight in Dublin with utterly lethal roads later even if not with all the wet surfaces after this afternoons showers.

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Nothing much to report down the road in Roundwood. Been a mix of graupel and small flakes for 20 minutes or so, but nothing sticking. And its just stopped.

Your turn will come in the next few days if not sooner, not doubt about it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement