Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

As promised, Mammatus clouds over Galway City around 14:45 after a heavy hail shower. The picture doesn't do it justice really.

[URL="[img]http://i.imgur.com/DxsKiS2l.jpg[/img]"]DxsKiS2l.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Well no snow to speak of here at the moment, very squally though. Hope to get some snow later but I have a feeling its going to be a sleety mix along with these gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Hmm, showers look pretty weak and scattered on the radar. Not as beefy as I was expecting for northwestern parts. Looking a bit underwhelming at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Rain here in Limerick. Think we're just on the wrong side of the DAM lines. Will still keep an eye on it overnight.

Good luck to those of you further north, hope you wake up in the morning to a white one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

mothel wrote: »
    It's gone very quiet in here! Are you all cooking dinner and waiting for RTE forecast?
    nothing but a few fast moving showers at the moment,and don't see that changing to be honest. Plenty to keep the interest going over the next week or so but winds to strong and showers to small to make any real impact at the moment I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

A little bit late but this was from the previous event...

What could have been.

[URL="[img]http://i.imgur.com/y0luQEYl.jpg[/img]"]y0luQEYl.jpg[/URL]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Wind seems to have picked up again...dry and windy, can see some clouds piled up behind the hills.

It's 1.9C and the snow cover is being eaten away by the wind!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Just had a heavy hail/shleet shower in the Burren..

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

We had some good showers here in Cavan throughout the day but it's like we have underfloor heating. It just disappears. The wind is calmer so here's hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Meh. Sleety wintry mix. Light showers in North Offaly. Not bothered about curtain twitching tonight....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Snow and sleet coming down fairly heavy and horizontally in Dublin 15 here now near Clonee!!:)

Edit more sleety really

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Pissin down of snow in Castleknock

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Net weather snow radar looks pretty green in southern Ireland where there is precip.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Been snowing now for 5 hours on/off here in South armagh , very heavy at times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Started snowing here now .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Started snowing here now .

Where?

ongarboy wrote: »
    Snow and sleet coming down fairly heavy and horizontally in Dublin 15 here now near Clonee!!:)

Edit more sleety really

hi Ongarboy, Im in Ongar, and its just sleety my end of street anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,154 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Could see some snow at Sheffied V Spurs Sky Sports2

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

Snowing in North Meath for the past half hour - not sticking but very persistent!:). Glad to be off the roads and home safe!

BTW - great pics Graces7! Many thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Windy cold night in South Tipp. In fairness we had a couple of flakes at lunchtime today. Wouldnt class it as anything other than a January night we occasionally get.

Find the earlier criticism of ME a bit hypocritical to be honest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Seems to be usually the case, everything looks promising on the golden snow charts but when push comes to shove there is alway other factors than make it a disapointment, still lots to play for tonight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

That last shower just produced some almighty gusts :eek: The loudest since last years storm

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Web_radar_ico.gif?2004

showers really havent much about them and there travelling along at a rate of knots, dont see much change for the wee hours or am i missing something:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Nothing while mad here in Derry yet, odd scattered shower and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Current satellite shows that the coldest cloudtops are to the north and coincide perfectly with the pool of coldest 500 hPa and 700 hPa levels. Further south we are getting only shallow streamers with no upper support to offset the low-level modification, hence the mess in many low-lying parts.

Conditions for snow will peak at around 6-10 am tomorrow morning as the above pool of coldest upper levels crosses the country from the north. The 850 hPa level will be around 100 m lower than today (like Sunday's runs had forecast for today but it didn't work out), and at around the same temperature as today it will flip things the right side of marginal. Much better snow for many before marked warming and a rise in freezing level follows for the afternoon, turning showers to rain for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

In west Clare we have a nice warm 3.4c with frequent hail showers. Come on, fall you temperatures!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Far less precip here than the radar was suggesting, and the latest shot did show a big reduction in precipitation for some showers as they reached the eastern coast.

I'm very interested to hear what's going on in Dundalk or anywhere nearby right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Raining in D24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

No snow in South Donegal. Even the mountains only have a light coating of sleet. The wind has been severe at times. A few very squally hail showers and a flash of lightening at 6pm. It's been another disappointing outcome for snow lovers and I'm not expecting anything tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Heavy rain/sleet shower now in Waterford City. Temp 3.5c DP 1.2c just on the wrong side of marginal.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement