Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

This is no where as severe as we were told to expect, ordinary showers that you would get in any winter nothing exceptional

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thecheese

Far less precip here than the radar was suggesting, and the latest shot did show a big reduction in precipitation for some showers as they reached the eastern coast.

I'm very interested to hear what's going on in Dundalk or anywhere nearby right now.

Heavy sleet/snow in dundalk, not sticking to anything other than car tops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

legomaniac wrote: »
    No snow in South Donegal. Even the mountains only have a light coating of sleet. The wind has been severe at times. A few very squally hail showers and a flash of lightening at 6pm. It's been another disappointing outcome for snow lovers and I'm not expecting anything tonight.

You're on the coast though aren't you?I recall previous posts of yours stating as such. Was always going to be marginal for Atlantic coastal areas. Snow lying in other parts of Donegal. Lots of areas with snow lying across the North. This was always going to be more of an event for Nothern areas so I don't really see why anyone is surprised. The night is still young

• Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I'm watching an educational video I directed in the 90s which was about weather recording. Found it in a box a few days ago. We shot it at Dublin Airport and the Met HQ in Glasnevin. While shooting it we talked to the famous winking weatherman. As he explained the process of forecasting, my production assistant listened attentively. When he finished talking, said production assistant replied...so its guess work? Winking weatherman was not impressed. But it is just guess work at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

Why are those showers beefing up over South East Ulster?they seem to come from nowhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'm watching an educational video I directed in the 90s which was about weather recording. Found it in a box a few days ago. We shot it at Dublin Airport and the Met HQ in Glasnevin. While shooting it we talked to the famous winking weatherman. As he explained the process of forecasting, my production assistant listened attentively. When he finished talking, said production assistant replied...so its guess work? Winking weatherman was not impressed. But it is just guess work at the end of the day.

Educated guess work.

I think its a rather obvious conclusion, yet the word guess doesn't sound correct. Its one of those things so obvious that people fail to see it :P

Considering that *Forecasts can often be wrong *Weather is unpredictable *Forecasters continuously rant about how you can never tell the weather exactly, you should be able to draw up that conclusion.

Anyone can guess the weather, but it takes a professional to get it mostly right:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What site does everyone use for watching the showers? That sounds a bit dirty now that I think of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Pangea wrote: »
    What site does everyone use for watching the showers? That sounds a bit dirty now that I think of it...

ME for everywhere bar the N&W, raintoday to have a look at what's going on up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Pangea wrote: »

NW Extra for the 5 minute radar

I hate waiting for the 15 minute updates !

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

It's an event and I'd like to say thanks to everyone for the last few days, it's raining in Dublin 6 right now, but the waiting watching twitching together has been an absolute trip ! Sincerest thanks....... now where Kermit's thread for next week. (Thank you MTC for hope).

Winter isn't over till it's Spring so here's to the next few weeks folks !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Is there something more organised coming in on the infrared sat24 loop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Cornilius wrote: »
    Why are those showers beefing up over South East Ulster?they seem to come from nowhere?
    There's something going on there alright. I'm currently registering much stronger breezes in the last 15 to 30 minutes, with lashing snow for maybe 15 minutes and dying off now. It was definitely falling and sticking to surfaces facing SW or slightly more towards WSW.

The NRA stations along the M1 all the way to the border are also saying WSW while the N2 stations in Monaghan, 20 km due west, report WNW. Seems to be some troughing going on with colder air to follow after those showers clear. Despite how heavy the snow was, it only sticking to some surfaces and it trailed off into something that didn't seem completely frozen. I didn't notice any rotation on the radar though.

Also the air temp and the nature of the precip looks like the air temp is still hitting 2 degrees. Must be some warmer air being advected from southern parts. If it's only raining in Dublin 6, it must be pretty marginal in south and mid Louth. The air temperature in Monaghan is thankfully much lower but presumably drier too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

First proper snow shower just now in Galway only lasted a few minutes and was fairly light though....

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

There's something going on there alright. I'm currently registering much stronger breezes in the last 15 to 30 minutes, with lashing snow for maybe 15 minutes and dying off now. It was definitely falling and sticking to surfaces facing SW or slightly more towards WSW.

The NRA stations along the M1 all the way to the border are also saying WSW while the N2 stations in Monaghan, 20 km due west, report WNW. Seems to be some troughing going on with colder air to follow after those showers clear. Despite how heavy the snow was, it only sticking to some surfaces and it trailed off into something that didn't seem completely frozen. I didn't notice any rotation on the radar though.

Anyway there can be snowfall until early April. 1 March is the official start of Spring for Met.ie and it can be a bitter month. Many parts of Ireland gave done a lot better than low lying areas on the continent so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Educated guess work.

I think its a rather obvious conclusion, yet the word guess doesn't sound correct. Its one of those things so obvious that people fail to see it :P

Considering that *Forecasts can often be wrong *Weather is unpredictable *Forecasters continuously rant about how you can never tell the weather exactly, you should be able to draw up that conclusion.

Anyone can guess the weather, but it takes a professional to get it mostly right:P

Ah I know, but to a 20 something "TV Wannabe" standing over the most famous weather person in Ireland at the time, the comment and reaction was priceless. Didn't capture it on camera. Wish I had. In the final edit our winking friend was only seen in the background. I can appreciate the word "educated" these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

FWVT wrote: »

Conditions for snow will peak at around 6-10 am tomorrow morning as the above pool of coldest upper levels crosses the country from the north. The 850 hPa level will be around 100 m lower than today (like Sunday's runs had forecast for today but it didn't work out), and at around the same temperature as today it will flip things the right side of marginal. Much better snow for many before marked warming and a rise in freezing level follows for the afternoon, turning showers to rain for many.

Best post of the day showing a complete understanding of the situation.
    It's a pity Met Eireann can't do same

For us in the south uppers and thickness look right for about 6 hours tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Anyway there can be snowfall until early April. 1 March is the official start of Spring for Met.ie and it can be a bitter month. Many parts of Ireland gave done a lot better than low lying areas on the continent so far....
    What has that to do with my post?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

Mech1 wrote: »
    I will be driving dunlaorie to D16 about 7.30 or so. I will take the johnnie foxes route and post a video.

Home now, video from Kilternan @ 8.10pm to D16 processing now, not much to see, Just a few tiny flakes and minimal lying up at the viewing point above Tallaght. will post asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

Grandeeod wrote: »

Met HQ is outside my bedroom window. I can peer in and see the people in there.

But I'm shortly moving. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Mech1 wrote: »
    Home now, video from Kilternan @ 8.10pm to D16 processing now, not much to see, Just a few tiny flakes and minimal lying up at the viewing point above Tallaght. will post asap.

I was just heading up there (viewing point) and expected to see some snow lying on the ground?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Cornilius wrote: »

I noticed that the 2 km model this morning was showing very marked upward velocities at 700 hPa streaming from a source of possible convergence over near Sligo and extending right across to SE Ulster /NE Leinster. This turned out to be very accurate and explains the extra activity in the area.

336801.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Very beefy snow showers on east coast NI. Lying well even at sea level. Very gusty winds with the showers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

I was just heading up there (viewing point) and expected to see some snow lying on the ground?

dont bother just yet maybe later if we are lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Best post of the day showing a complete understanding of the situation.
    It's a pity Met Eireann can't do same

For us in the south uppers and thickness look right for about 6 hours tomorrow morning

Will we have precipitation though?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Is their anything better than waiting for met eireanns 15min updates on the rainfall radar? They take around 5-10 mins to get up on the internet after they are taken and its driving me mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Is their anything better than waiting for met eireanns 15min updates on the rainfall radar? They take around 5-10 mins to get up on the internet after they are taken and its driving me mental.

Ya using the 5 min ones :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar-extra;sess=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Its been snowing on and off in Cooley (Just North East of Dundalk) in County Louth since 11:30 this morning. Here are a couple of photos my friend took a couple of hours ago. We will be heading up into the hills later for some fun in our Land Rovers!

defender2today.jpg
    antsdeftoday.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Wow 502 people logged on here at the mo - don't think I've ever seen that many on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

FWVT wrote: »
    I noticed that the 2 km model this morning was showing very marked upward velocities at 700 hPa streaming from a source of possible convergence over near Sligo and extending right across to SE Ulster /NE Leinster. This turned out to be very accurate and explains the extra activity in the area.

336801.jpg

looks extremely accurate alright, where I am is just inside the green in south-east meath with all the showers passing just to the north of me all day! Also Belfast to Newry is bagging all the snow! elsewhere it's just few flakes here and there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement