Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

think i might get up the mountains on friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Wow 502 people logged on here at the mo - don't think I've ever seen that many on

Over 1000 in 2010

ok. temps at the min.
    temp_uk.png
    and the dew points look good.
    pointrosee_uk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Over 1000 in 2010

That was the year I joined so I was only a novice. Seriously 1000? I was probably one of those "guests" lurking in the wings with excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ok. temps at the min.
    temp_uk.png
    and the dew points look good.
    pointrosee_uk.png

Huh? Its telling me my temp is 4-5c, but its actually 2.4c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

That was the year I joined so I was only a novice. Seriously 1000? I was probably one of those "guests" lurking in the wings with excitement

Winter 2010 was a classic! Snow everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Driving from Cork to Belfast on Friday morning .I`m presuming the motorway will be ok , but am I correct .?

rebeve wrote: »
    Driving from Cork to Belfast on Friday morning .I`m presuming the motorway will be ok , but am I correct .?

Maybe towards the belfast side it may be slightly slippery if not salted correctly, but Id say you will be fine.

Thats only giving me 15 min updates??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Wild cold wet night in west Galway. No snow here yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A few showers this evening and probably a few more overnight. I wish I took tomorrow off!

002.jpg

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Huh? Its telling me my temp is 4-5c, but its actually 2.4c.
    how u getting your reading?

how u getting your reading?

Weather station outside. Its risen to 3.3c now. I find the weather station to be quite accurate.

Edit: dropping now again. 2.9c

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

FWVT wrote: »
    I noticed that the 2 km model this morning was showing very marked upward velocities at 700 hPa streaming from a source of possible convergence over near Sligo and extending right across to SE Ulster /NE Leinster. This turned out to be very accurate and explains the extra activity in the area.
    The 12z 5km resolution plot looks remarkably different, and the 6z output only roughly correlates with the showers crossing southern Ulster though it's hardly a coincidence either. The rainfall radar this evening doesn't suggest there's something like the Brown Willy effect (sic) going on :eek::)

Good to see you around again, FWVT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

rebeve wrote: »

Fine, main motorway driving is a different cup of tea to untreated B-roads, even with a bit of a dusting. Next Northerly spell of showers Sunday, likely just rain for the next two days.

Fig 1. Was a definite Trajectory of steady snow showers from Sligo to N Wales today

trajectory.png

Fig 2. Sunday yellow (snow), more cool direct Northern source this time round. So may mean a yellow snow for the South also, early doors as yet.

sunday_matrix.png

Brown Willy effect (sic) going on :eek::)

They couldn't of though of a better name, could they?

Alot of snow in glasgow causing holding around glasgow.

At 9pm Met Eireann recorded snow at none of its weather stations, the closest was sleet at casement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just looked out side, not the wintry scenes I was hoping for, no showers or even hail. I wonder what barnesmore gap is like at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If I'm getting snow, you can be sure that the "showery precip" in Ballyhaise in Cavan is falling as snow. Who knows if it's sticking, the temp is hovering around 1 to 1.5 degrees here and it's only sticking when the snow is very heavy.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Weather station outside. Its risen to 3.3c now. I find the weather station to be quite accurate.

Edit: dropping now again. 2.9c

wer are u in the country

wer are u in the country

West Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Went out for a little cycle about an hour ago, took 20 mins to get my hands back to near normal, that is the most easterly feeling westerly wind :eek: chills to the bone!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Castlebar, nothing.

Even met on rte news i thought we're toning it down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

Mech1 wrote: »
    Home now, video from Kilternan @ 8.10pm to D16 processing now, not much to see, Just a few tiny flakes and minimal lying up at the viewing point above Tallaght. will post asap.

Of course the puter froze half way through processing, almost ready now,

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Mech1 wrote: »
    Of course the puter froze half way through processing, almost ready now,

Uh Huh the puter froze an it's 4 degrees Mech

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Pangea wrote: »
    Just looked out side, not the wintry scenes I was hoping for, no showers or even hail. I wonder what barnesmore gap is like at the moment.

Nothing here in town except a few hail showers. Ground not white. Disappointing here in Donegal Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Radar showing all showers dieing out as they head east! Love to be wrong but just dont see enough beefy showers making my location far east!
    Only bright note is that i will have a good nights sleep. I was thinking yesterday that i would be up most of the night looking at the snow fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

NMB wrote: »
    Uh Huh the puter froze an it's 4 degrees Mech

Ok the puter sorta half crashed kinda like, nearly froze but it wasnt cold enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

So what happened? Why has the predicted snow turned to rain? Temperature too high?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

So what happened? Why has the predicted snow turned to rain? Temperature too high?

Ah Stewie - thems the breaks.... there's always next week xx

• Advertisement

That net weather updates every 15 mins, but is always around 10-15mins late. Its actually worse timing wise than Met Eireann. The weather type feature is handy though.

The snow/rain colour (Green) is retreating back towards me. Id say id be in for a nice snow shower by midnight :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement