Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Trogdor wrote: »
    Out of interest, where do you get these values, FWVT?

From the 4**** group on the 333 line of the synops. UK stations have automatic snowdepth reporting instruments.

They are available on ogimet by clicking on the "World Synop Navigation" link and then clocking on the individual stations and then the day. The hourly snowdepths are decoded for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Anyone know what's happening after 3pm? I have staff due to work this evening. Wondering should I expect more phone calls! Cavan area

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes start off with a Merino wool base layer. I use them for cycling and they are great.

Might have them in the outdoor shops in Kilarney

Seriously allergic to any kind of wool next the skin... base later has to be cotton,.. second layer also cotton, then fleece and only then wool and only in severe cold. Works well on days like this once I get warm. Feel like one of those Russian baboushka dolls ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kmoneill

The12thMan wrote: »
    its snowing in west cork......

What area please ..

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Sorry can't post pics, just starting to stick now

I use tinypic, free and so easy even I can sort it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

RuthieRose wrote: »
    Anyone know what's happening after 3pm? I have staff due to work this evening. Wondering should I expect more phone calls! Cavan area

Your best bet is to keep an eye on www.raintoday.co.uk Will give you a good indication of what is on the way and when it will arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

kmoneill wrote: »
    What area please ..

the bit WEST of cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

highdef wrote: »
    The radar overlay looks wrong in your image. the precipitation is much further west in reality. Sorry Dublin but it's going to deliver little or nothing in Dublin city and suburbs :(
    Yeah. My money is on them to slip south west of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Animation of the interesting looking feature to our north over the last 4 hours (may take a while to load). You can also just about make out the snow fields across the north of the country.

4P5q4w.gif

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

What do people think will happen tonight? Small centre of low pressure moves through from the north. Rain/sleet with a possible thaw at lower levels, snow continuing in elevated areas?

15012921_2_2906.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Animation of the interesting looking feature to our north over the last 4 hours (may take a while to load). You can also just about make out the snow fields across the north of the country.
    Yep that will hit Ulster later with a fair bit of snow on the back edge of it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The White Gold is Falling In Portarlington

Sudden huge increase in wind up here,, South Kerry 400 ft asl.. Made my ears pop.Snow on its breath,, made me jump!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Villain wrote: »
    Yep that will hit Ulster later with a fair bit of snow on the back edge of it!

I think that is a tricky one, as the air mass is generally getting (relatively) warmer, even after the feature passes. Would not rule out some snow though during any of the heavier showers.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I think that is a tricky one, as the air mass is generally getting (relatively) warmer, even after the feature passes. Would not rule out some snow though during any of the heavier showers.

Yeah looks like a messy wintery mix. Could be interesting for high ground though combined with the wind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Yeah. My money is on them to slip south west of Dublin

Yep both streams are moving more Southwards.

The 1st one is near Kilkenny (now), maybe heading towards Waterfod.
    The other one heading for Wicklow mountains / S.Dub (now)

2bands.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just saw the forecast on RTE, looks like showers mainly of rain from tomorrow onwards with temps not too bad tomorrow. Colder on Saturday and Sunday then back to slightly milder on Monday and on into next week.

However the charts at the moment look a good deal colder than what met eireann are predicting from next Monday evening onwards with some possibly very cold conditions over Ulster and Leinster especially next Tuesday and Wednesday with a possible easterly sourced wind forming. The far west looks remaining somewhat milder.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Grace....are you close to Lough Brin......last photo looked familiar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Yeah looks like a messy wintery mix. Could be interesting for high ground though combined with the wind!

Yes. Marginal thicknesses as the feature pushes through.

15013003_2_2906.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Any reports/pics from up around the Military Road/Viewing Point car park area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

snowing again leopardstown

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    Grace....are you close to Lough Brin......last photo looked familiar?

Indeed yes and yes that photo is in that direction.. a few miles by road of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭dasa29

Snowing in Mullingar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Looks like last chance saloon here in S.Kildare before it becomes too marginal later. Lower shower strip passed just to my SW, what are the bets the precip. moving into Offaly and N.Kildare just disintigrates on me! :P

EDIT: I shouldn't be worried about it disintegrating right now, more like how it on course to miss me by a few miles to my NW, literally a few miles. Would you wish such luck on your worst enemy :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

The precip band in the midlands is now developing and intensifying further east now, meaning Dublin could be at risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

A bit of snow here and there all morning. We had really bad thunder and lightning early morning and the electricity stayed on. There was more about 30 minutes ago and the electricity has gone off. Thankfully I had just cooked our lunch. Even when the electricity was on, the only thing that didn't work was the TV. Anyone know why did might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 willow46

great to see all the info above, like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Whats the chances of the greater dublin area getting hit with some snow soon???next half hour or hour maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kmoneill

The12thMan wrote: »
    the bit WEST of cork

Are you under cover or somthing..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

John.Icy wrote: »
    Looks like last chance saloon here in S.Kildare before it becomes too marginal later. Lower shower strip passed just to my SW, what are the bets the precip. moving into Offaly and N.Kildare just disintigrates on me! :P

EDIT: I shouldn't be worried about it disintegrating right now, more like how it on course to miss me by a few miles to my NW, literally a few miles. Would you wish such luck on your worst enemy :D:D

same thing has happened to me as well, that big shower was heading here but has dipped further south and broken over as it was about to hit here, I can see all the shower cloud to my south and south-west.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement