Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

According to the 12Z GFS, this appears to be the northernmost reach of precipitation for Monday before it pulls away to the south again.

63-574UK_vso4.GIF

Precipitation doesn't appear to be as widespread for Tuesday (intensity wise) compared to the 6Z run.

90-574UK_rif6.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

"According to the 12Z GFS, this appears to be the northernmost reach of precipitation for Monday before it pulls away to the south again."

That low has been going up all over the place from run to run, someone's going to get lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭b318isp

Snowchaser wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is still snow up the Dublin Mountains? Mad to build a snow man

None really visible from where I'm sitting in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Drove from Kilcullen to Nass 3.30pm temp was 5 now it is 1 thats a big drop in 90mins. pain in me swiss with wet cold tease, give it to me proper or piss off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I have to say that January flew by with all the cold weather and snow excitement :)

And I have to agree with the poster above - Kermit is the forecaster on form at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Who is Niman on the wrong thread as a matter of interest?

I think I'm not the type to get excited about fairly normal weather conditions, so I'll exit stage left and let you lot continue.

Cheers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

definitely a few interesting days ahead,we are badly due an easterly for actual proper snow.i know that charts has that high backing south but the Atlantic is weaking so is the jet stream.still the potential is there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Just heavy sleet here now, terrible wind chill.
    Turning to snow now, didn't expect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

A few photos taken from the viewing point in Kilakee -Military Road (380 m amsl) a while ago. The snow is hard and icy. Air temperature was 1.0, down in Tallaght was 4.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

3.5c here with a DP of -2c.
    Not too bad here. (West Clare)

• Advertisement

Looking at the net weather radar, there is alot of snow in the country this evening. Anyone getting any?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Snowing here now too. Temp dropped by 2c since shower started. 1.5c now and starting to stick

Snowing here now too. Temp dropped by 2c since shower started. 1.5c now and starting to stick

Good:P
    Theres a nice shower on the way to my house, with a low DP and a temperature near 4c here, I hope I may finally get a flurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Just back from a hike up slieve foye county louth. Loads of snow some snow was 4 ft deep in places. Even got to build a snow cave. Class day.

According to Net Weather that just passed less than a km away from me, it was on the verge of turning to snow. With temperatures dropping, I have actually felt like I may get snow for the first time this cold spell.

Met E are forecasting wintry showers tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Just back from a hike up slieve foye county louth. Loads of snow some snow was 4 ft deep in places. Even got to build a snow cave. Class day.

That looks savage! :eek:

Pity I missed it all when I was in college in Limerick :(

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

I bet the drifts up there were crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock right now snow lovers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

UPDATE to the OP.

Friday 30th January - Thursday 5th February

Overview

Hi all, an update to the OP.

The cold conditions are set to remain until at least Thursday and even this time frame could yet be extended. Winds will vary north to northwesterly and will be strong for a time tomorrow though may go southeasterly temporarily on Monday. After Tuesday winds go more northeasterly.

Temperatures

Daytime temperatures will remain low throughout generally in low single figures between 0 and 4c but night time temperatures will really tumble.

Tonight temperatures will fall to around -2 c in many areas and this brings with it frost and ice for untreated roads. Tomorrow night temperatures will fall further to around -2 or 3 c widely (slightly milder near wind ward coasts). Sunday night will see temperatures as low as -5 or -6 c particularly in the northern half of the country where snow is lying. Again frost and ice will be an additional hazard to any lying snow. Monday night again temperatures sub zero and down to -2 or -3 c generally but under cloudier skies. Again slightly milder on Atlantic coasts. Night time temperatures on current trends will plunge even further midweek and could get as low as -6 or -7 c locally.

Precipitation - Rainfall/snowfall

From tonight most of the expected precipitation will be snow. Over the weekend snow showers will mostly affect Ulster, west Connaught and west Munster settling in places particularly across Ulster. Occasionally some may get lost and end up in north Leinster or the midlands at times so don't be surprised with a random dusting one morning.

This applies to tonight, tomorrow and Sunday.

2 potential snow "events" to watch

On Monday a warm front will attempt to move in off the Atlantic but will stall somewhere near the southwest. This will be coming in to contact with very cold air over the country and the rain will turn to snow away from far southwest coastal areas. There is potential for some heavy snowfall from this that may well be disruptive.

Currently this looks to affect most of Munster and south Connaught. Another affect could be to drag in some light snowfall to eastern counties off the Irish sea.

People in these areas should keep up to date because the exact position of this is a little uncertain still and it may yet affact more than the areas mentioned but the current concensus is it is the southwest that takes the hit here.

MONDAY NIGHT

There is less certainty about Monday night. Currently it looks like an active but shallow trough or small area of developing low pressure will move down from the north. At this stage upper air temperatures and ground temperatures will be very low and it's about as close as we can get to a sure thing for snow in Ireland - on current trends. There is potential for heavy and in places significant snowfall and some disruption.

Again keep up to date with this because it could affect your journey on Tuesday morning.

The orange fonts are the two features that really need to be taken in to account in the coming days. There potentially will be severe weather at times but mostly it should be nice be to look at.

Better one here

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Clear sunny day, now partly cloudy with a light breeze, temp 1.9c. Snow level remained at about 700 feet all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

I bet the drifts up there were crazy!

they were unreal :rolleyes:

Epic snow at knock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

there's potential for some convection along the irish sea on monday if track of that low stays the same.temp and dew point are good for those streamers to fall as snow along the east coast

UPDATE to the OP.

Friday 30th January - Thursday 5th February

Overview

Hi all, an update to the OP.

The cold conditions are set to remain until at least Thursday and even this time frame could yet be extended. Winds will vary north to northwesterly and will be strong for a time tomorrow though may go southeasterly temporarily on Monday. After Tuesday winds go more northeasterly.

Temperatures

Daytime temperatures will remain low throughout generally in low single figures between 0 and 4c but night time temperatures will really tumble.

Tonight temperatures will fall to around -2 c in many areas and this brings with it frost and ice for untreated roads. Tomorrow night temperatures will fall further to around -2 or 3 c widely (slightly milder near wind ward coasts). Sunday night will see temperatures as low as -5 or -6 c particularly in the northern half of the country where snow is lying. Again frost and ice will be an additional hazard to any lying snow. Monday night again temperatures sub zero and down to -2 or -3 c generally but under cloudier skies. Again slightly milder on Atlantic coasts. Night time temperatures on current trends will plunge even further midweek and could get as low as -6 or -7 c locally.

Precipitation - Rainfall/snowfall

From tonight most of the expected precipitation will be snow. Over the weekend snow showers will mostly affect Ulster, west Connaught and west Munster settling in places particularly across Ulster. Occasionally some may get lost and end up in north Leinster or the midlands at times so don't be surprised with a random dusting one morning.

This applies to tonight, tomorrow and Sunday.

2 potential snow "events" to watch

On Monday a warm front will attempt to move in off the Atlantic but will stall somewhere near the southwest. This will be coming in to contact with very cold air over the country and the rain will turn to snow away from far southwest coastal areas. There is potential for some heavy snowfall from this that may well be disruptive.

Currently this looks to affect most of Munster and south Connaught. Another affect could be to drag in some light snowfall to eastern counties off the Irish sea.

People in these areas should keep up to date because the exact position of this is a little uncertain still and it may yet affact more than the areas mentioned but the current concensus is it is the southwest that takes the hit here.

MONDAY NIGHT

There is less certainty about Monday night. Currently it looks like an active but shallow trough or small area of developing low pressure will move down from the north. At this stage upper air temperatures and ground temperatures will be very low and it's about as close as we can get to a sure thing for snow in Ireland - on current trends. There is potential for heavy and in places significant snowfall and some disruption.

Again keep up to date with this because it could affect your journey on Tuesday morning.

The orange fonts are the two features that really need to be taken in to account in the coming days. There potentially will be severe weather at times but mostly it should be nice be to look at.

Considering your greatly accurate forecasts over the past few days, I am actually as happy as an 8 year old boy when he sees snow right now. In fact I have only ever witnessed 1 disruptive snow, that was at home here in west clare. This was in 2009, but still not comparable to some parts of the country.

Thanks Kermit for the updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Gotta love a little green amphibian when he delivers Good news !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Jean mentions some wintery showers for Monday/Tuesday. Anything outside 48/60 hours with a pinch of salt currently ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭budweiser6

Go on ya good thing Kermit!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

So is west Wicklow in for a chance of snow from this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

hollster2 wrote: »
    So is west Wicklow in for a chance of snow from this?

Maybe some light snow Monday. Monday night is much better though on current projections. Mainly dry really until then but very cold.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement