Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'd probably just turn the date thing off then Grace, those date things just ruin a good photo anyway.

And we trust you enough about when the photo's are being taken, so no worries there. :)

Dreadful thing is I was taking photos a evidence in a court case so they are ****** now too unless they can take the date off..did not know i could remove the date so that i done now! Thank you again boardsies

Whatever the charts say more has fallen up here last night than at any other time this winter. South Kerry mountains 400 ft asl.. Sheerly dramatic at the north facing back and to the west, Navy dark skies above sunlit snow and a wind to take the face off you... a 3 inch ice drift too around the gas cylinder!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Graces7 wrote: »
    Whatever the charts say more has fallen up here last night than at any other time this winter. South Kerry mountains 400 ft asl.. Sheerly dramatic at the north facing back and to the west, Navy dark skies above sunlit snow and a wind to take the face off you... a 3 inch ice drift too around the gas cylinder!
    Hirlam says you could see more Monday morning, snapshot at 9am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Graces7 wrote: »
    If it gets very cold, you might have to bring the gas bottle in. I remember a February snow storm in Wales in about 1991 when our gas bottles got too cold to function. We had to bring them in to warm them up before any gas would flow. That episode was short but intense with the whole village snowed in and the beach iced over

Philip7304 wrote: »
    I remember a couple of years ago the charts were promising easterly streamers to hit Dublin late at night, There was great excitement for days leading up to the event..That evening the weather forecast on Rte called rain and wind..I can remember some posters on Boards saying that it was a disgrace and there would be sackings in the MET...I had the day off so loaded up with some beers and stayed up till 4am lampost watching..Nothing but rain..The MET called it right..I've been guilty of jumping on the ramp train so many times but now I tend to hold off getting too excited untill closer to the time....

My attitude is very self centred and simple.. keeping warm and the critters fed whatever might come.. preparing for the worst and getting some pleasure out of whatever comes. Staying up etc is not on the cards here ! Rarely sleep through the night anyway:) Am enjoying my alpine setting today though! Truly lovely

• Advertisement

If it gets very cold, you might have to bring the gas bottle in. I remember a February snow storm in Wales in about 1991 when our gas bottles got too cold to function. We had to bring them in to warm them up before any gas would flow. That episode was short but intense with the whole village snowed in and the beach iced over
    Usually it is the piping that freezes and a kettle of water sorts that. As long as you have power to heat the water! Or cover the bottle and pipes with a blanket It is in the lee of the house and this house seems to be better sorted than any other i have had; all the water pipes are inside. And the water pump for the well is deep inside the utility room. So far in the third winter here no problems. Last place was a nightmare for frozen pipes as the well "house" was in a field surrounded by nettles :eek:

Hirlam says you could see more Monday morning, snapshot at 9am!

OK! I have that feeling too and had it last night and was right...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Snow warning issued for Donegal,leitrim and Sligo. Valid from 7pm until 9am tomorrow morning.

Snow warning issued for Donegal,leitrim and Sligo. Valid from 7pm until 9am tomorrow morning.

The map shows snow above Kerry...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

7 inches in S Armagh is three times that
    4 near Dubdalk is Double

That was more the exception rather than the rule though, and I would wager that those totals you mention occurred on relatively high ground. For the bulk of the country, I would guess that lying snow hardly reached above 1 to 3 cm at any one time.

Would largely agree with Harps about this coming week. Certainly we will see some snowfall in places, but going solely by the latest model runs, I don't think will see amounts much different to last week's episode (of course, will vary locally) but as always, plenty of scope for upgrades later as I doubt specifics are nailed down just yet.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    That was more the exception rather than the rule though, and I would wager that those totals you mention occurred on relatively high ground. For the bulk of the country, I would guess that lying snow hardly reached above 1 to 3 cm at any one time.

Would largely agree with Harps about this coming week. Certainly we will see some snowfall in places, but going solely by the latest model runs, I don't think will see amounts much different to last week's episode (of course, will vary locally) but as always, plenty of scope for upgrades later as I doubt specifics are nailed down just yet.
    Have you not learned how to fish for likes round here yet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Hailstones in Galway. The hills of Connemara look splendid today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Mainly sunny, fresh breeze, feels bitter though the temp is 3.8C - snow line still still around 700 ft on the NE facing slopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

i hate to say it but i think the east coast wont get much out of the system on monday and tuesday :( ill no more tonight on the 18z run. fingers crossed.
    i love being wrong though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

maybe we wont get much from the low being southwest as charts stands but am confident that we will see some streams on the irish sea as from monday night onwards maybe till thursday as there will more of a north easterly wind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Something white is falling east of cork city I can see the white bands of snow or hail

Graupel falling in cork city. Woot!!! Winter shower!!!

Eeeeeeekkkkkk its snowing in cork city

Full blown blizzard

& just like that the blue skies have returned

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Heavy snow in Castlebar at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Philip7304

Its got quite dark here in Lucan past half hour, cloudy and we have a wet sleety shower...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So I went for a walk there, and there was two showers passing to the left and right of me, so the temperature dropped by 4c (from 7c to 3c) and with the wind chill added, my hands turned numb and would not move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Heavy squally downpour of hail/wet snow just outside of Loughrea - it was so heavy cars were pulling over on the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

latest gfs 12z has the low slightly eastwards with precipitation pushing furthur inland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Graupel shower for 5 seconds in drogheda lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Lumi wrote: »
    Heavy squally downpour of hail/wet snow just outside of Loughrea - it was so heavy cars were pulling over on the motorway

It has been like that here all day, turning the ground white with every downpour. No real snow since about 09:30 this morning.
    Skies darkening again...

Here's one I prepared earlier - - - >

[URL="[img]http://i.imgur.com/nB0YLOml.jpg[/img]"]nB0YLOml.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

12Z GFS has precip on Monday/Tuesday being a kind of everywhere but East affair (bar some light remnants reaching the east eventually).

Tuesday is thoroughly uninspiring from an IMBY view, looked much much more fun several runs ago. Of course. these precip charts aren't 100%, but they're a good basic starting point. Things can change though, but it'd be best for all if we can get the low moving down as close to the Irish Sea as possible as that's going to pull the most precip in over land, instead of going to waste off the West Coast.

My main hopes resting on the small window of NE winds post this low, before pressure rises and kills off any convection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Heavy snow Arklow right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Heavy hail shower in Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Heavy snow Arklow right now

crazy theres nothing here lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

John.Icy wrote: »
    12Z GFS has precip on Monday/Tuesday being a kind of everywhere but East affair (bar some light remnants reaching the east eventually).

Tuesday is thoroughly uninspiring from an IMBY view, looked much much more fun several runs ago. Of course. these precip charts aren't 100%, but they're a good basic starting point. Things can change though, but it'd be best for all if we can get the low moving down as close to the Irish Sea as possible as that's going to pull the most precip in over land, instead of going to waste off the West Coast.

My main hopes resting on the small window of NE winds post this low, before pressure rises and kills off any convection.

My thoughts exactly for my location in the south east. Little or no precipitation from any of the fronts with only a small op from streamers. Currently looking like a non-event for the south east anyway but of course this could all change.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement