Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

i see lots of potential for the east and southeast next week going by the latest gfs.high pressure building in the northwest allowing a cold northeasterly wind for a few days at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't forget from tonight we start to see those temperatures really fall away down to -3 or -4 c locally. Take extra care out and about on any wet roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

I am in Dublin visiting the family for a few days but based on latest charts etc I'm not expecting a snow event. I think once this cold weather clears this week the straw clutching needs to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

legomaniac wrote: »
    I am in Dublin visiting the family for a few days but based on latest charts etc I'm not expecting a snow event. I think once this cold weather clears this week the straw clutching needs to stop.

What straw clutching? And how do you know the cold weather will clear this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

You do realise that Tomorrow is the first day of February, not May.
    Your statement is like saying on July 31st that people should stop hoping for a heatwave.

Still plenty of time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

My straw clutching.... you are very quick to jump in. And according to both MT and ME it is going to get milder later next week. People in here are so defensive....

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

charts keeps changing every run i would go past 3 days with these charts.theres lots of potential for east coast and dublin from monday onwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Freezing levels by the end of the week. It does look like the upper signal is very progressive, with little chance of any blocking setting up.

ecm0125_millikort_0level_msl_2015013100_156.png

ecm0125_millikort_0level_msl_2015013100_204.png

ecm0125_nat_gh300_uv300_2015013100_120.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

My straw clutching.... you are very quick to jump in. And according to both MT and ME it is going to get milder later next week. People in here are so defensive....

You used the word "the" straw clutching which suggests everyone else. How would you expect people to respond?

Just had a heavy snow shower for 15 mins in Glendalough. Didn't stick but impressive while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Not trying to be defensive haha just wondering what charts you have seen to show a definite change to warmer weather at the end of the week. The outlook is very uncertain and while saying it will get milder is always the safe call it doesn't mean its definitely going to happen at the end of the week.

The Monday/Tuesday possible Snow event is still very much subject to change- I would wait til tomorrow evenings runs to get a better idea of where if anywhere is likely to see snowfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think since 2010 people expect Snow from November and then when none arrives by January they write off the winter.

The meteorological season of Winter is two thirds of the way through and prior to 2010 February was very often our best month for snow.

We have probably the coldest 5 days of the winter so far coming up and beyond that who knows. Write off the winter all you want but its far from over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Every time lego posts it's negative. The other day it was winter is over and summer will be damp. He can't help himself. Best to ignore. A glance through his weather posts says it all really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

the winter of 2010 was a rare event. we all should know this by now. i know we hope it will happen again, but we have the nasty and mean atlantic ocean that spoils the fun most of the time

Every time lego posts it's negative. The other day it was winter is over and summer will be damp. He can't help himself. Best to ignore. A glance through his weather posts says it all really

The problem in here is that anyone who posts anything remotely negative when it comes to snow is shot down. Why is their opinion worth less than anyone else's? On the large scale there seems to be a much more progressive pattern setting up this week, so while there are some cold days to come, the trend thereafter looks like seasonal.

Not what you want to hear, but just keep the remote possibility in mind. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

FWVT wrote: »
    The problem in here is that anyone who posts anything remotely negative when it comes to snow is shot down.
    If you want to post negatively on here, either butter it up really well or don't post at all. I also don't see any problem with this:P

The problem in here is that anyone who posts anything remotely negative when it comes to snow is shot down. Why is their opinion worth less than anyone else's? On the large scale there seems to be a much more progressive pattern setting up this week, so while there are some cold days to come, the trend thereafter looks like seasonal.

What are your thoughts on Tuesday's snow chances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Jeans forecast was a joke and very inaccurate.

1 she said showers be of snow mainly at night by day rain sleet.

No Jean all charts support snow to all levels

2 she said it will be cold

No Jean it will be bitterly cold with a biting northerly wind adding significant wind chill

3 she said staying cold into next week with patchy rain n sleet with snow on high ground

Again no Jean next week will be bitter with ice days and risk of widespread snow on Tuesday

If you agree please like my post

Was her forecast still a joke and inaccurate?

What are your thoughts on Tuesday's snow chances?

13 degrees and rain. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The potential for snow in the southwest on Monday is significant
    If it were to happen as modelled the likes of Kerry and Cork could see several cm of snow.
    This deep cold that is setting in tomorrow is being underestimated a bit on here.
    It looks a lot colder than anything we got all week
    Is this still the case?

Was her forecast still a joke and inaccurate?

It hasn't happened yet?!!

• Advertisement

13 degrees and rain. :pac:

Careful now, The pitch forks will be out! I'm just hoping for 1 snow day, surely that's not too much to ask for!! :)

<Mod Snip>. Lego said the straw clutching needs to stop. The other day it was winter is over and summer will be damp. If a weather chart looks good even in realible timeframe it's dismissed. That's just plain negativity. There is nothing rational to it. If he gave his opinion and stated why he thinks that it would be different. But you know this already and you like setting the bait. Your conduct towards kermit two weeks ago proved that

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Nice bit of trolling again legomaniac ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's a pity to see the low on Tuesday being downgraded on the GFS, but it's not too surprising since the ECM was showing much weaker precip for a few runs.

Hi Lego said the straw clutching needs to stop. The other day it was winter is over and summer will be damp. If a weather chart looks good even in realible timeframe it's dismissed. That's just plain negativity. There is nothing rational to it. If he gave his opinion and stated why he thinks that it would be different. But you know this already and you like setting the bait. Your conduct towards kermit two weeks ago proved that

Stating the winter is over and the summer will be damp is plain madness. But referring to this week he said "based on latest charts etc I'm not expecting a snow event". That is a forecast, and it has as much right as any other one.

Not sure what you mean with
    But you know this already and you like setting the bait.

but i won't take your bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Can you all take the childish nonsense elsewhere please. Thank you.

Stating the winter is over and the summer will be damp is plain madness. But referring to this week he said "based on latest charts etc I'm not expecting a snow event". That is a forecast, and it has as much right as any other one.

Not sure what you mean with

but i won't take your bait.

And he went on to say after this cold weather clears up the straw clutching needs to stop thus writing off the rest of winter and thats why I posted. Not about this week.

Not sure if that's what you wanted to hear but glad we cleared it up <mod snip>

It's a pity to see the low on Tuesday being downgraded on the GFS, but it's not too surprising since the ECM was showing much weaker precip for a few runs.

The fact is that the lows this week will all be on a route from New Foundland NE to Iceland and back down. They will lose a lot of their moisture in the process, so by the time they get here they will have lost some oomph. Tuesday's low needs some kick from upper levels, which seems to be there, it's just a case of how much moisture can get wrapped into the low and form saturation to cold enough levels.

ecm0125_nat_gh300_uv300_2015013100_066.png

ecm0125_nat_vo500_gh500_gh500-6klst500_2015013100_066.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

YanSno wrote: »
    latest gfs 12z has the low slightly eastwards with precipitation pushing furthur inland

Yes, looks a bit better alright.

42-574UK_jel3.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

id wait untill tonights run or tomorrow to see how this turns out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement