Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

FWVT wrote: »
    The problem in here is that anyone who posts anything remotely negative when it comes to snow is shot down. Why is their opinion worth less than anyone else's? On the large scale there seems to be a much more progressive pattern setting up this week, so while there are some cold days to come, the trend thereafter looks like seasonal.

Not what you want to hear, but just keep the remote possibility in mind. ;)
    You can't come into a tread about snow full of snow lovers and talk it down and expect a warm welcome. Like it or not 90% of the people here want snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

You can't come into a tread about snow full of snow lovers and talk it down and expect a warm welcome. Like it or not 90% of the people here want snow.

So do I, as much as anyone else, but I know that no matter how much anyone wants it, or says that it will or won't happen, it will not affect the outcome. It's not like just wanting it enough will turn rain to snow, or someone saying it won't snow will ruin our chances. It's a little more complicated than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

thanks to everyone who reported the backseat moderation/uncivil posts above
    Can we get back to discussing the current cold snap please

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A little bit of good news and a little bit of bad on the ECM for Monday night depending on your perspective.

Good news is the trough is better defined.

ECM1-48.GIF?31-0

Bad news is the warm sector is better defined too

ECM0-48.GIF?31-0

So more precipitation with the ECM but potentially more marginal. The caveat is that the warm sector tends to close as it moves south so inland probably still getting away with it would be my intuition there.

On Wednesday another front approaches the northwest. This could bring some snow too for the western half of the country.

ECM1-96.GIF?31-0

ECM0-96.GIF?31-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No shocks with the warm sector, was never going to be the plain sailing that F1 was hinting. Marginal is what makes the chase fun :)

• Advertisement

Latest fax chart for Monday night

fax60s.gif?3

The front is occluded so the warm sector has closed - you would expect the precipitation to be snow. How much there is is another matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Similar line to this morning's radio forecast taken by Siobhan there on Rte 6:1 just now
    Basically cold all week with plenty of opportunities for snow falling including frontal sleet and snow but not significant
    The SW sleet and snow risk Monday night not really mentioned

I'm guessing, they're threading carefully on amounts types and distribution of precipitation due to Shannon entropy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

12Z Euro4 not showing any precipitation reaching the SW on Sunday night or Monday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

FWVT wrote: »
    So do I, as much as anyone else, but I know that no matter how much anyone wants it, or says that it will or won't happen, it will not affect the outcome. It's not like just wanting it enough will turn rain to snow, or someone saying it won't snow will ruin our chances. It's a little more complicated than that.

Ha Ha!!! I have to say I was guilty of this when I found this site first:rolleyes:

It didnt take me long to figure out that it dont work:o

Come on now anyone else????

Similar line to this morning's radio forecast taken by Siobhan there on Rte 6:1 just now
    Basically cold all week with plenty of opportunities for snow falling including frontal sleet and snow but not significant
    The SW sleet and snow risk Monday night not really mentioned

I'm guessing, they're threading carefully on amounts types and distribution of precipitation due to Shannon entropy

I suspect you won't be too unhappy with this chart WB.

fax72s.gif?3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Carnacalla wrote: »
    If you want to post negatively on here, either butter it up really well or don't post at all. I also don't see any problem with this:P

Okay so. You're all full of crap and haven't a clue about forecasting the weather. Plus you're all mad feckers begging for severe weather, while the rest of us don't want it. :D I arrived in Ireland a few weeks ago from where I live in the Canary Islands. The electric blanket is frying to a crispy level. I'm burning more oil that the ESB and my stocks of butane are costing a small fortune. I could be supping a cheap beer outside my local watching the setting sun. But no. I'm stuck in this artic death trap glued to this forum.:D

That said (here's the butter up) its a really great place to spend some time during poor weather and the opinions of posters is appreciated and the charts and forecasting is invaluable and interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How's Monday looking snow-wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Reality check: Alot people on here want snow, and they voice it pretty well. I don't know who you mean by "the rest of us".

Yes there's a lot of great opinions on here, if their wasn't I wouldn't use the weather fourm.

Why not go back to the canary islands if the current weather is too cold for you. Come on, you hardly expected to have to turn on the air conditioning!

I dont think you took Grandeeods post as it was intended! Telling him to go back to the canarys. Mind your manners.

Cead mile failte Grandeeiod.

Reality check: Alot people on here want snow, and they voice it pretty well. I don't know who you mean by "the rest of us".

Yes there's a lot of great opinions on here, if their wasn't I wouldn't use the weather fourm.

Why not go back to the canary islands if the current weather is too cold for you. Come on, you hardly expected to have to turn on the air conditioning!

I was trying to be humorous with you based on what you said in your quoted post. I'm being supportive of the forum, but just trying to lighten the mood after the recent altercation. But, you know, if that's flying over heads, then I'll get back into my campbell stokes recorder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ah come on, I deleted the comment before ye wrote them comments

How's Monday looking snow-wise?

Hi Carnacalla, give it another 12 hours I think. There is some divergence and differences regarding not only the southwest but also Monday night. It's a little frustrating at this time frame but can't be absolutely sure yet. I don't think it will get any clearer until 00z runs tonight.

Ah come on, I deleted the comment before ye wrote them comments

You are forgiven.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

moderate snow shower maynooth area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

moderate snow shower maynooth area

Pics or GTFO ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Report of light snow in Kilmessan, Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Not sure if already posted,worlds weirdest weather on ch.4 at 8

Anything that falls from now on should be snow so i'm not surprised at all. Not going to be many snow showers away from Ulster and north Connaught but given temperatures are falling toward freezing and will go below shortly anything that falls is likely to settle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Bit of light snow In carlingford

Much lying snow on the hills in carlingford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Dundalk could be in for a fall shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Had falls of hail on and off all day accompanying those high winds - now as it's stilled the hail has a few soft flakes with it. Maybe a little snow in South Sligo tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

I suspect you won't be too unhappy with this chart WB.

fax72s.gif?3

Isn't it a thing of beauty 2 tenny style :D

I'm trying to think of euphemisms/Metaphors, isn't it like we're in the living room of a several story building, with the upper story's used as freezers,the north poles the roof and one by onestarting with the first ceiling, they all cave in :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

DP's appear good at the moment.

pointrosee_uk_euw0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

Its a pity we had those rain showers thursday night, we would have held a nice cover here in the shade anyway. Im surprised there isn't more snow reports this evening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Any snow for Dublin this evening

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement