Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Gonzo wrote: »
    I don't think the real prospect of snow get's going till Tuesday tho?

Hard to know yet. Euro4 wants to bring the trough of low pressure South sooner than the GFS does.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    18Z Euro4. Looks marginal, especially for the West, for Monday evening. Cold uppers moving down from the North though.

Euro4 has positive dewpoints in the west at that time, so it would be rain there, turning to snow further inland.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I don't think the real prospect of snow get's going till Tuesday tho?

HIRLAM shows 2 small depressions, one moving down from the west to the south Monday evening and the other reaching Ulster heading south about 6 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

All this snow Im seeing around ennis and limerick on the Weather radar on Net weather, is this accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Hirlam's take on things at midnight Monday. Monday evening's low closely followed by Tuesday morning's.

green, red, blue = rain, sleet, snow

This is just an hourly snapshot and I think it gives a good idea of what type of precip will fall in various locations. Should be leaning more towards snow everywhere as we head into Tuesday morning.

ymxVH0N.png

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    All this snow Im seeing around ennis and limerick on the Weather radar on Net weather, is this accurate?

It's an estimation of what the precipitation type should be by using model data for that time.

It's an estimation of what the precipitation type should be by using model data for that time.

With the tempertures, if there is any percip there it is snow. My point is, is there any percip there at all? Its very patchy and Met Eireann are not showing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

we had some light snow this morning in north west London, before it quickly turned sleety and then to rain. It would be nice to be back home, i'm kind of fed up of hoping for a proper fall of snow here.

Depends where home is....you wouldn't think it I know but large parts of the country have seen very little snow at all. Tempature currently +2 degrees here in snow free south Tipperary today

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Depends where home is....you wouldn't think it I know but large parts of the country have seen very little snow at all. Tempature currently +2 degrees here in snow free south Tipperary today

Home is Mayo.
    I suppose it has been a wintry mix in Ireland, with snow cover scarce on lower ground, outside of ulster. Well it seems I spoke too soon, it stArted snowing here an hour ago and some of it has stuck. it will probably be gone by morning, but nice to see it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hey weatherpeople and im one

THecgreat thing bout snow in ireland is no one can ptedict it

ITs like a div 3 football league game

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »
    Hey weatherpeople and im one

THecgreat thing bout snow in ireland is no one can ptedict it

ITs like a div 3 football league game

Id have a quick peek at your spelling if I were you.

Ireland has very unpredictable snow events, you never know if its going to snow or not until it actually happens. I remember an event a few years ago when a weather system was crossing the country from the east, by the time it reached me, it was rain/sleet. I was unbelievably disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Nice covering here at the moment with snow showers passing through. :)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Nice covering here at the moment with snow showers passing through. :)

nice one paddy1:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Ireland has very unpredictable snow events, you never know if its going to snow or not until it actually happens. I remember an event a few years ago when a weather system was crossing the country from the east, by the time it reached me, it was rain/sleet. I was unbelievably disappointed!

Jeez, does his spelling matter? I'd say he was typing from his phone(same thing happens to me when using phone)

Anyway, anyone have any news about the last run? Should we be dancing like lunatics to the snow gods or weeping and wailing like bold children? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Smidge wrote: »
    Should we be dancing like lunatics to the snow gods or and weeping and wailing like bold children? :)

Yes. The snow gods feed off all energies. Don't give up the fight!

Smidge wrote: »
    Jeez, does his spelling matter? I'd say he was typing from his phone(same thing happens to me when using phone)

I am always typing from my phone (I am doing so now) and my mistakes are usually minor. His spelling was pretty bad in fairness. But I only made a little friendly remark about it and meant no offense.

I had a very strange thing happen here in Clare this evening. The temperature was at 0.3c and 1am, but suddenly shot up to 1.3 in the space of 5minutes. Now at 3:01 the temoeture is 0.6, it never quite got back down as far (not that there is much of a difference between 0.3c and 0.6c).
    Very strange thing to happen, I'm wondering if my weather station is working properly!

I'd wait for MT's forecast in the morning before waking the snow bunnies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

I am always typing from my phone (I am doing so now) and my mistakes are usually minor. His spelling was pretty bad in fairness. But I only made a little friendly remark about it and meant no offense.

I had a very strange thing happen here in Clare this evening. The temperature was at 0.3c and 1am, but suddenly shot up to 1.3 in the space of 5minutes. Now at 3:01 the temoeture is 0.6, it never quite got back down as far (not that there is much of a difference between 0.3c and 0.6c).
    Very strange thing to happen, I'm wondering if my weather station is working properly!

I'd wait for MT's forecast in the morning before waking the snow bunnies :)

Sure is Snaterday night, he's probably just in from the boooser;)

sully2010 wrote: »
    Sure is Snaterday night, he's probably just in from the boooser;)

Its bloody Sunday morning soon! Night all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Would you believe it was snowing at around 5pm yesterday in Liscannor, and started to didn't last too long though. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

00z GFS is glorious for those who want snow on Monday night. No issues really concerning marginality.

gfs-1-54.png?0

Rtavn542.gif

51-574UK.GIF?01-0

Snow showers also continue in the east for Tuesday with lighter snow elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Well that looks like it might keep everyone happy except the Cork and Kerry peeps, will there be much, Kermit?

Well that looks like it might keep everyone happy except the Cork and Kerry peeps, will there be much, Kermit?

Hard to say. It is frontal rather than showers so continuous snow for some hours and heavy at times. Could be first genuine frontal event in more than 10 years.

Timing important. Pushing south overnight when temps are at the lowest and the ground is cold and firmed up. On the GFS certainly between 5 - 10 cm in a lot of places I would say.

Cheers Kermit! could be some forum craziness so. Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Late monday maybe. It still depends on temperatures and the location of percip, but it looks like a nice event.
    With the tempertures, if there is any percip there it is snow. My point is, is there any percip there at all? Its very patchy and Met Eireann are not showing it.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kmoneill

Will Cork and kerry miss out do you think

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan.." Well the wind has stopped thankfully ..bright moonlight when I got up soon after 4 am. Waiting for my hands to warm up..snug last night, knitting abed while the weather raged and spat ice at the windows...this now is an old, old way of life here, relearning cooking in the side oven of the range....butter beans cooked around ham last night and I banked up the fire with slack.....earthenware casserole...grand so! Baked potatoes crisp on the outside, floury within.... Winter is a way of life lived in these mountains for centuries so with a great harmony..waiting now to see where we are at today.....but costly these days and many will be finding it hard now to keep warm. Enjoy the day, snow or not! Sky watching...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cheers Kermit! could be some forum craziness so. Bring it on.

Greetings from my mountains to your mountains.. maybe I should change my name! Interesting days ahead indeed

kmoneill wrote: »
    Will Cork and kerry miss out do you think

I am not one of the experts here, but...

On the last set of charts Kermit posted above it showed that the south of Cork and Most of Kerry would miss out but those Precip charts may not be very accurate. Mabey a little snow dance may help :)

I am not one of the experts here, but...

On the last set of charts Kermit posted above it showed that the south of Cork and Most of Kerry would miss out but those Precip charts may not be very accurate. Mabey a little snow dance may help :)

7 am Tuesday

54-574UK.GIF?01-0

Remember only one run - it could change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

It's the GFS, would like to see if the other models follow the same output and then i will stop thinking of thin ice jokes. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement