Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

ME use hirlam so that would explain their forecast,sorry rick for killing another snow flake :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

M E look to be calling this right.......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Great fun here! Off outside to enjoy the sunshine with the dogs and gaze at the great Christmas puddings all around. Back later for the next exciting episode of..... SNOW WARS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Met Eireann so far are really not seeing any snow risk on Tuesday.
    I love it wen they become red faced though. I think they are calling it to soon all will be clear on the runs by the end of today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Snow on Croagh Patrick.

337230.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Met Eireann so far are really not seeing any snow risk on Tuesday.
    I love it wen they become red faced though. I think they are calling it to soon all will be clear on the runs by the end of today

Generally Glasnevin give us a version of what the latest Ecm says
    I remember one farming forecast by Gerry that was changed totally for the 9pm one and the week still turned out different so Let's see

Also the UK forecast graphics for Ireland Tuesday from a BBC 24 forecast this morning was COMPLETELY different to ME's outlook

Two words-Shannon Entropy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Snow on Croagh Patrick.

337230.jpg

Great pictures.
    I wonder what is the depth of snow is up there at the top of Nevin and Croagh Patrick

Great pictures.
    I wonder what is the depth of snow is up there at the top of Nevin and Croagh Patrick

With it's shape and high winds,probably not too deep as it will have blown off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The GSM025 model (00z run) which was the first to pick up on this trough potential for tomorrow night (and with an impressive accuracy regarding track), has the prep reaching well further east by Wednesday morning. Question now is, is this model as good at modelling precipitation as it is small scale patterns? Either way, still has some 'streamers' (I.E, showers :P) developing in the Irish Sea in its wake. The HIRLAM runs seem more reflect this morning's ECM run regarding track and prep distribution more or less. Either way, will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

337231.PNG

From Vedur.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Fragmented looking precipitation band on the 06Z Euro4.

15020303_2_0106.gif

@nacho libre. Nephin always seems to do snow 'better'. It's around 40 metres or so higher as well than CP. Mweelrea (near Killary fjord) would be higher again. It and the mountains nearby are excellent rain/snow catchers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Similar view on the WRF model, shows a very weak and fractured front delivering little more than 2 or 3 hours of drizzle for most

nmmuk-1-51-0_jqn9.png

Oneric 3~you've learned how to fish for likes at last
    I've now high hopes for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Glorious winters day this morning in west Clare. Blue skies and a lovely sun. Temperature picked up from 0.5c at 10:30 this morning to 3.8c now. There is not even a puff of air about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its like Spring! :D

dew points are great.
    pointrosee_uk.png
    pity there isnt much precipitation today :(
    gfs-2-12.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

That sums up 'most' Irish winters. When conditions are right the precipitation just isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Its like Spring! :D

Blasphemy :p

met eireann changed there forecast again

outlook

Tuesday: Wintry showers will continue with occasional falls of snow, especially on the higher ground. Temperatures will remain low in northerly breezes; highest values 2 to 5 degrees. Severe frost again overnight.

Wednesday: Another cold, bright day with highest temperatures of 3 to 6 degrees in north-easterly breezes. Most places dry, but scattered wintry showers will affect eastern coastal counties during the morning /afternoon.

Thursday / Friday: Remaining cold, but largely dry and bright. Highs of 3 to 5 degrees with severe night-frosts.

Weekend: Continuing dry but with cloudier skies. Temperatures slightly higher 5 to 8 degrees, less frost at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

met eireann changed there forecast again

outlook

Tuesday: Wintry showers will continue with occasional falls of snow, especially on the higher ground. Temperatures will remain low in northerly breezes; highest values 2 to 5 degrees. Severe frost again overnight.

Wednesday: Another cold, bright day with highest temperatures of 3 to 6 degrees in north-easterly breezes. Most places dry, but scattered wintry showers will affect eastern coastal counties during the morning /afternoon.

Thursday / Friday: Remaining cold, but largely dry and bright. Highs of 3 to 5 degrees with severe night-frosts.

Weekend: Continuing dry but with cloudier skies. Temperatures slightly higher 5 to 8 degrees, less frost at night.
    What I would read into that forecast is likely what will happen I.e snow possibly on Tuesday for the small few who live in mountain areas the rest of us will get rain if there is any precipitation at all. Wednesday a dry day generally with an odd chance of a shower in the east coast rest of week dry. Lets see whose right by Friday but my money is on ME....

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

This recent downgrade has really made me realise something. I am a snow addict and need help! I am so sad I actually booked Tuesday off work to stay up on snow patrol Monday night! I can't cope with the disappointment anymore so I am hanging up my snow boots and weaning myself off this obsession. Enjoy the next month guys! :-)

• Advertisement

Oneric 3~you've learned how to fish for likes at last
    I've now high hopes for you :D

tumblr_m8ar8ic5uw1qif8qjo1_500.gif

Farming forecast coming up in a couple of minutes on RTE1. We nervously await.

New Moon

What I would read into that forecast is likely what will happen I.e snow possibly on Tuesday for the small few who live in mountain areas the rest of us will get rain if there is any precipitation at all. Wednesday a dry day generally with an odd chance of a shower in the east coast rest of week dry. Lets see whose right by Friday but my money is on ME....
    Rofl :)

It's been snowing on Lower levels all week and you're translating a ME forecast to exclude snow to mountain tops when the air is actually colder than any day in the last week?
    I'll post when I think it's going to be rain not snow and am not afraid to here but what you're saying is actually the opposite extreme to the most hopeful of snow hopecasters and probably equally unrealistic to be fair

Even that ME forecast doesn't rule out low ground snow
    Dewpoints too in the Irish sea next week are in or around zero so I wouldn't be ruling out precipitation being wintry or of snow in inland populated areas

Siobhan Ryan on RTE 1 FF not excepting significant accumulations this week, with 'scattered sleet & snow showers' overnight tomorrow night.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Siobhan on the farming forecast : scattered sleet/snow showers Monday night, no significant accumulations, drier than average. As expected given what ECM/HIRLAM is showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Is HIRLAM precip chart freely available? If so could I have a link please?

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Siobhan Ryan on RTE 1 FF not excepting significant accumulations this week, with 'scattered sleet & snow showers' overnight tomorrow night.

Yeah, I'm surprised she didn't mention some uncertainty though because We all know there is
    She has more or less confirmed that anything that does fall out of the sky will be snow

The latest BBC 24 forecast had no graphics this time for Tuesday and their early episode of the week ahead forecast was cancelled due to the Ozzy Tennis which Andy lost so we may wait for tonight's countryfile to hear the UK Mets latest speculation for next week

i see a red faced u turn for tonights met eireann forecast :)

Is HIRLAM precip chart freely available? If so could I have a link please?

Just 3 of them but there are more:

DMI: updates every 6 hours
    http://www.dmi.dk/vejr/

YR: (updates every 12 hours)
    http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=yrno&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prec&HH=6&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=&WMO=

Met.ie: (updates every 2 hours or so)
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Your YR link points to Euro4 :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, as long as the sun was out it was a lovely winter day ...sat out with my knitting in warm sun amid the Irish Alps..gazing at the snowy peaks..chilly now but that was grand... there is a snowdrop out in my garden.. a winter delight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement