Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

Graces7 wrote: »
    snowdrop out in my garden.. a winter delight.

Yes,good to see them coming up,counted 7 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Siobhan on the farming forecast : scattered sleet/snow showers Monday night, no significant accumulations, drier than average. As expected given what ECM/HIRLAM is showing.

Maq, your views are as cold as ice, but I still trust them. :)

I wonder why, I am thinking of this song now.

tumblr_n531kwsmoP1s344s5o1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Generally Glasnevin give us a version of what the latest Ecm says
    I remember one farming forecast by Gerry that was changed totally for the 9pm one and the week still turned out different so Let's see

Also the UK forecast graphics for Ireland Tuesday from a BBC 24 forecast this morning was COMPLETELY different to ME's outlook

Two words-Shannon Entropy

The bcc just showed the week ahead , they do have a snow-line Tuesday from Antrim down to the south east as far as Waterford but it doesn't look like much precp on it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Maq, your views are as cold as ice, but I still trust them. :)

Same here, Hes the voice of reasoning and calm among the hysteria on here sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

So roads are roads here (Cavan, Monaghan, area) going to be ok this week?
    I just want to say thanks to all of you for the last couple of weeks. My job entails sending lads out in vans and your predictions have been so bang on the lads haven't missed a days work. I have managed to work out the best places for them to go and the type of work they do there.
    Your help on here has helped our business and more importantly our staff who have gone through this spell of bad weather with no interuption.
    I would just ask that people mention their location a bit more. I have to use my phone and it helps if I get a general location... I don't want to visit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Really surprised at the maxes yesterday and today when you consider the Arctic flow over us. Maxes of 6/7 quite widely.
    So I will indeed say that Jeans forecast the other night was quite accurate.

Tuesdays precipitation is definitely trending less and less. The12's will likely decide our fate on this. I still reckon snow will be widespread on Tuesday

Tonight for the southwest is worth watching.
    It wouldn't take much to swing some ppn over kerry and cork. The nuisance is we will definitely get the associated cloud preventing a decent frost down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Really surprised at the maxes yesterday and today when you consider the Arctic flow over us. Maxes of 6/7 quite widely.
    So I will indeed say that Jeans forecast the other night was quite accurate.

Tuesdays precipitation is definitely trending less and less. The12's will likely decide our fate on this. I still reckon snow will be widespread on Tuesday

Tonight for the southwest is worth watching.
    It wouldn't take much to swing some ppn over kerry and cork. The nuisance is we will definitely get the associated cloud preventing a decent frost down here.

:eek: Thankful for that great mercy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

The GFS says frontal rain turning to snow for low levels Monday night/early Tuesday, followed by snow streamers along the east coast as winds turn more NE and 500 hPa temperatures remain well below -30 °C, despite slight ridging. The frontal band itself may be wettish snow, but the streamers should be better.

2015020100H048_UK00_SFC.jpg
    2015020100H048_UK00_850.gif

2015020100H060_UK00_SFC.jpg
    2015020100H060_UK00_850.gif
    2015020100H060_UK00_500.gif

2015020100H066_UK00_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Experience tells us these fronts die rapidly as they move down in a cold northerly flow. I expect to see Dublin get something but down waterford direction its curtains ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

i will not write off anything just yet will wait till the 12z will roll out shortly. i see a few streamers along the east coast for sometime at least tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Closing down as am too cold for safety now. Knocks me sick sometimes..Have a lovely evening..so cold here now, jut so bitterly cold..not good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

The GFS forecast soundings for my back yard have become a bit colder in the 06Z run, showing total snow during early Tuesday. Saturated levels up to -20 °C, which is perfect for lots of snow crystals to form, and the lowest levels at zero or below.

sondagegfs_95_30_48_0_1422803420.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Experience tells us these fronts die rapidly as they move down in a cold northerly flow. I expect to see Dublin get something but down waterford direction its curtains ;)

From the front i would agree but when the NE flow arrives we could see some streamer action. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

From the front i would agree but when the NE flow arrives we could see some streamer action. :)
    I think we'll see snow from the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

200motels wrote: »
    I think we'll see snow from the front.

For Dublin?? What do you mean by streamer

latest gfs 12z still shows a widespread snow event on tuesday .sorry cant post charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

The GFS has downgraded Tuesday morning (further west, less precip). We'll probably see something more in line with the HIRLAM unfortunately.

EDIT: the HILMAM looks slightly better now though.

12Z on board for a nationwide snow event early Tuesday morning.
    Even if it's only a couple of hours it could stick quite readily

Rougies wrote: »
    The GFS has downgraded Tuesday morning (further west, less precip). We'll probably see something more in line with the HIRLAM unfortunately.

yes further east has more precipitation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

i fear that all we will get from this shallow low is snizzle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If the winds turn NE, then its time to watch the Isle Of Man shadow effect, some areas could get large totals if favoured.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z HIRLAM for Monday and Tuesday. You can see the sleet/snow (pink/blue) in parts of the west and southwest Monday night with the following Tuesday looking very dry. No nationwide event here.

KXX1zGt.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Euro4 is the best to keep up to date with at this range if you have to pick a model to go with for tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Here is how the Meteoblue model is handling Tuesday's Irish Sea showers.

5qu3Dk.gif

Blues represent precipitation with dashed blue lines indicating snow potential. Whites are clouds.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Very interesting deference of opinions with Maq & kermit. Time will tell buts it good reading. Keep it up please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Here is how the Meteoblue model is handling Tuesday's Irish Sea showers.

5qu3Dk.gif

Lovely! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Brianmeath wrote: »
    Very interesting deference of opinions with Maq & kermit. Time will tell buts it good reading. Keep it up please.

squinty-mcgee-meme-generator-oh-it-s-on-753df3.jpg?1354933887.jpg

12Z HIRLAM for Monday and Tuesday. You can see the sleet/snow (pink/blue) in parts of the west and southwest Monday night with the following Tuesday looking very dry. No nationwide event here.

KXX1zGt.gif
    Agreed but if you feel Cork is Ireland anyway there is lol
    For the southwest this is looking good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

KXX1zGt.gif

This is more or less in line with the DMI run too. I think it may possibley be underdoing the Irish sea potential just a little; at the same time, the likes of the GFS may well be overdoing them. Perhaps there may be a middle ground somewhere containing some occasional flurries.... maybe.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Today was an absolute joy. Cold but blue skies. Very little wind too. Lakes were like glass.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement